AMD Announces The Radeon RX 480 Starting At Just $199

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today unveiled the company’s strategy for its upcoming Polaris architecture-based Radeon™ RX Series graphics cards, introducing impressive levels of VR performance and future-proof technologies1 at a variety of price points. The Radeon RX 480 delivers premium VR capability at a stunning price of starting at just $199 for the 4GB edition. Set for launch and availability on June 29th, the Radeon™ RX 480 will deliver the world’s most affordable solution for premium PC VR experiences, delivering VR capability common in $500 GPUs. In a notable market survey, price was a leading barrier to adoption of VR.2 The $199 starting SEP for select Radeon RX Series GPUs is an integral part of AMD’s strategy to dramatically accelerate VR adoption and unleash the VR software ecosystem.

I'll wait to read multiple reviews before spending my money, but still. Damn at $199.99 it's tempting.

I am guessing that comparing 1070 to 480 isn't too different from comparing 980 to 970 back in Maxwell: 1070 would still probably be better in terms of raw perf, but value-wise 480 would stomp it.

You can already buy a (factory overclocked) 4GB GTX 960 or 4GB Radeon R9 380 at that price, and since price and RAM size are all they announced, there is nothing new here. It's just a bunch of buzz words ("premium VR experience" for example)

The [H] comparison countdown begins. No purchased until I see this vs 1070.
That's a stupid comparison. You're comparing a $380 card against a $200 card, obviously the GTX 1070 will outperform it without issue. If you want to compare price to performance then that's a different story.

That is a nice price. AMD is making some rather bold claims too. It'll be interesting to see how these actually perform when they're released.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Told you so (seriously, look in the Polaris thread), they can't ask for any more than that and sell any of them. A card that performs like a 390 can't command any more without risking competing with the 1070 and being horribly outclassed. They need that price difference to be as big as possible.

Man, AMD has really screwed up this time and they're trying everything they can to get out of it. Remember, this card has the same TDP as a 1070 so they can't even claim efficiency as an advantage. I miss competition so badly.

Told you so (seriously, look in the Polaris thread), they can't ask for any more than that and sell any of them. A card that performs like a 390 can't command any more without risking competing with the 1070 and being horribly outclassed. They need that price difference to be as big as possible.
4GB 290's have been around $200 since the crypto crash in 2014. This is... underwhelming.
I saw a new Tri-X 290X hit $250 last summer.

I take it you didn't watch the Pascal reveal? :D

No idea what you are talking about. That was great. It's rare that I have cause to get snarky at a product reveal. Usually I'm half asleep trying to watch live streams of them.

Man, AMD has really screwed up this time and they're trying everything they can to get out of it. Remember, this card has the same TDP as a 1070 so they can't even claim efficiency as an advantage. I miss competition so badly.

All the numbers are up to. did you read the slide? They didn't have exact specs for the card other than shader amount. you are looking at 150w for the top card probably 8gb with higher clocks. People really need to not just look at numbers, they said greater then 5 tflops. So doesn't look like they have settled on a number yet for the clock speeds.

All the numbers are up to. did you read the slide? They didn't have exact specs for the card other than shader amount. you are looking at 150w for the top card probably 8gb with higher clocks. People really need to not just look at numbers, they said greater then 5 tflops, so you could have cards with different specs going up to possibly 6 tflops at 150w.

They also could be building robot pink elephants to destroy the sun. It's just as likely.

That's a stupid comparison. You're comparing a $380 card against a $200 card, obviously the GTX 1070 will outperform it without issue. If you want to compare price to performance then that's a different story.

Stupid? How is it stupid?

If you have a single metric by which a card is better than another, congratulations I guess because you're effectively saying that money is no object. Well, even on [H] the price still has an impact on many people's choices.

Some people have 3 or 4 metrics. Speed, Price, wattage, volume, size, features (FreeSync/G-sync, CUDA/compute, DP/HDMI, etc). I just happen to be picking 2: Speed, and price. If AMD can deliver 80-90% performance of the 1070, at almost 50% the price, that's good enough me. As long as that 80-90% still meets the goals I have - which is a SOLID 1080p/+60fps performance with all the bells and whistles.

That's not the comparison everyone else needs, no. But it's what I'm willing to bet a good number of people are waiting for before pulling the trigger. And it's far from 'stupid'.

Stupid? How is it stupid?

If you have a single metric by which a card is better than another, congratulations I guess because you're effectively saying that money is no object. Well, even on [H] the price still has an impact on many people's choices.

Some people have 3 or 4 metrics. Speed, Price, wattage, volume, size, features (FreeSync/G-sync, CUDA/compute, DP/HDMI, etc). I just happen to be picking 2: Speed, and price. If AMD can deliver 80-90% performance of the 1070, at almost 50% the price, that's good enough me. As long as that 80-90% still meets the goals I have - which is a SOLID 1080p/+60fps performance with all the bells and whistles.

That's not the comparison everyone else needs, no. But it's what I'm willing to bet a good number of people are waiting for before pulling the trigger. And it's far from 'stupid'.

I guess you completely ignored the part where I said if you were comparing price to performance then it'd be a different story. :meh:

I guess you completely ignored the part where I said if you were comparing price to performance then it'd be a different story. :meh:

No, I didn't ignore it. I just thought it was kind of demeaning to claim that just because price matters to some people when picking a card it makes a comparison between cards in different price brackets 'stupid'.

Almost everything meaningful uses more than one metric. Who buys a car (ICE) based on just the driving range. So you can go 600 miles... OK? On 40 gallons or 10? Oh, you can deliver ~6TFlops performance? At what price?

It seem like the Radeon RX 480 maybe as fast if not faster then the Radeon R9 390 at very good price damn $200 buck but I'll still wait and read some reviews that willl make big improvement over my Radeon HD 7870

No, I didn't ignore it. I just thought it was kind of demeaning to claim that just because price matters to some people when picking a card it makes a comparison between cards in different price brackets 'stupid'.

Almost everything meaningful uses more than one metric. Who buys a car (ICE) based on just the driving range. So you can go 600 miles... OK? On 40 gallons or 10? Oh, you can deliver ~6TFlops performance? At what price?

I said if you're doing a blatant comparison on the cards alone then that is stupid. Then I said if you are comparing price to performance (which means you're factoring in price in case that isn't clear enough for you) then it's a different story. I don't need analogies to understand what I'm talking about. :meh:

Last edited:
I'm surprised by this price. If this performs well enough, that's a bold target.

I don't know...the 480 looks good, but the 1070 does have a lot going for it. The surge of 970 and 390 seemed to show that $250-$300 is about all that joe gamer will spend. It'll be interesting to see what the $300 Polaris is supposed to be and how well it pairs up against the 1060, whenever that materializes. Otherwise, the comparisons are useless. They're different price brackets for different shoppers. The guy eyeing the $200 video card was never the guy that would be in the market for a $400 card.

For at least this brief period at the end of this month, there seems to be no overlap in the proposed product stacks between the two vendors. NV has completely removed the reason to buy any high performance AMD card (390X+) and AMD has completely removed the reason to buy any mass market NV card (up to, and including, the 970).

It seem like the Radeon RX 480 maybe as fast if not faster then the Radeon R9 390 at very good price damn $200 buck but I'll still wait and read some reviews that willl make big improvement over my Radeon HD 7870
I can tell you that right now, having gone from a 7870 to a 390 last fall. It's a pretty large leap in performance. Well over 50%.

Hopefully like my old 5870, I can rip off that cooler and slap on a nice Zalman, etc and overclock the snot out of it. (y)

I'll get one to swap out the 7970 for one while I wait for Vega. I like giving my friends my hand me downs.

from the video posted in other thread of someone at the polaris tech day event said 8gb version will compete with 1070. So I don't think AMD announced everything yet. They just announced the cheapest model with 4gb.

Does that mean there's a 480x hidden somewhere...

here is the video from gamers nexus. Looks like he kinda revealed a little too much, may be this is why amd made them singed an NDA until june 29th launch because there is another polaris card and computex was just the base model at 199.

The number of GCN cores in the thing seemed like an odd number, like a chopped-up chip versus a clean full-chip. This is ALL speculation, of course. Its possible that the yields are low, and AMD decided to hold off on releasing the full-fat 480X just now, as the silicon just isn't up to scratch. Its possible that AMD is binning all the 'perfect' polaris 10 silicon for the 480X, just waiting until they have enough chips to merit a strong release.

i am thinking they might have an RX 490 as well. Then the Vega cards will replace the fury cards. They might be keeping under raps to not kill the sales of 390 series for another month.

here is the video from gamers nexus. Looks like he kinda revealed a little too much, may be this is why amd made them singed an NDA until june 29th launch because there is another polaris card and computex was just the base model at 199.

This guy stated outright that the 8GB $250~ version would compete with the 1070. He either got his wires crossed somewhere on what will compete with the 1070 or AMD didn't want that bit of information released yet.

There are 3 different variants of p10. I bet you bottom dollar price points are 199$, 249$, and 299$ p11 mobile/entry level desktop in the 100$ range

another interesting tid bit, AMD first claimed 2x performance per watt over previous gen, that was raised to 2.5x performance per watt over previous gen, Tonight they put up slides saying 2.8x performance per watt over previous gen.

Anyone else notice that we were really light on benchmarks at the reveal as well? I thought they were just putting on a bad presentation...

A leaked benchmark slide put the 480 at 5.5 TFlops, the presented TFlops was 5+.

Last edited:
4GB 290's have been around $200 since the crypto crash in 2014. This is... underwhelming.
I saw a new Tri-X 290X hit $250 last summer.

This $200 4gb 290 you are writing about are stock cooled, which means that they run hot and wont be able to reach 1000 mhz.

I think AMD are still pinning down a clock rate. so that '5.5' could turn into a 5.4' or a '5.6' depending on how AMD want to position this thing....

Interesting. If it even comes close to competing with the 1070, I'd be in the market for one. This would be the first Radeon card I have owned since my Radeon 690. I'm not tied to any brand, I tend to buy where the value is.

Back