AMD announces Sulon Q, first wireless VR and AR headset

cageymaru

Fully [H]
AMD announces Sulon Q, first wireless VR and AR headset.
AMD announces Sulon Q, first wireless VR and AR headset | VideoCardz.com

Even better article at VRWorld with a ton of pics detailing the product, history of development and how AMD got it's name on it.
AMD Powers Sulon Q, Microsoft HoloLens Competitor

Reddit thread.
Introducing Sulon Q powered by AMD • /r/oculus

Sneak Peek from Sulon.
Sulon | Enhancing the human experience

Main website.
Sulon | Enhancing the human experience

Magic Beans demo

Introducing the Sulon Q, powered by AMD. The first and only all-in-one, tether-free, “wear and play” spatially-aware headset for VR and AR. Like nothing there is now. Like nothing there ever was.

Experiences:

VR, AR, and spatial computing Ergonomics Lightweight, comfortable, ergonomically designed all-in-one tether-free form factor

Processors: AMD FX-8800P processor at up to 35W with Radeon™ R7 Graphics leveraging AMD’s Graphics Core Next architecture 4 compute cores and 8 GPU cores unlocked through Heterogeneous System Architecture (HAS) Sulon Spatial Processing Unit (SPU)

Memory: 8 GB DDR3 Memory

Storage: 256 GB SSD

Display: 2560x1440 OLED display at 90 Hz 110-degree Field-of-View

Audio: 3D spatial audio powered by GenAudio’s AstoundSound® technology Built-in 3.5 mm audio jack Custom spatially-optimized Sulon Q earbuds Dual noise-cancelling embedded microphones.

Tracking: Sulon Spatial Processing Unit combining real-time machine vision technologies and mixed reality spatial computer for real-time environment mapping and tracking from the inside outward, dynamic virtualization for VR/AR fusion, and gesture recognition

Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer, SPU

Software: Microsoft Windows® 10 “Project Dragon” application for spatial computing AMD LiquidVR technologies for ensure smooth and responsive VR and AR experiences

Peripherals: Wireless keyboard and mouse provided in box Any other Windows 10-compatible controllers and joysticks

Connectivity: WiFi 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.1 2 x USB 3.0 Type A Micro HDMI OUT

Last edited:
I don't see the advantage to having it all-in-one like this. Offloading processing to a unit you attach to your belt/waist or back seems like a more reasonable solution, and also allows more flexible upgrade-ability.

The spatial computing is interesting though. I wonder how it will compete with upcoming GearVR releases, as they are trying for inside-out tracking there as well...

Looks like a cool idea. Defiantly needs more power to really work, but very cool idea none the less.

Reddit's been discussing it, and some of the comments aren't all too positive. Sulon itself is a shady company, they say.

...But on the other hand I love VR and I love AMD, so who knows? Could be worth it.

I have serious doubts about Reddit in general ;) . But if you take a look at this and imagine it will sell then the next product that will feature Zen APU how awesome would that be ;) .

I skimmed over the reddit thread and to many of those people yapping about performance , prolly the same people that said that current consoles are weaker then last generation.

If anything the hardware setup from AMD point of view is cheap. If they can market this it prolly do well . I'm not sure about the how the power usage will be. Lets hope we can find out some more details..

This has peaked my interest, let's see where this goes...

Could someone explain to me like I am five about how they are able to deliver console grade graphics while doing it at 35watts?

Could someone explain to me like I am five about how they are able to deliver console grade graphics while doing it at 35watts?
Moores law. Also they didn't mention which console they were comparing to.

Added more information to the OP and a copy of the demo from the livestream that we missed.

Graphics compare to 2007-ish consoles, 2004-ish PCs... nothing modern... basically a jump up from GearVR, but not as good as PSVR and certainly nowhere near Rift/Vive

Because it is not doing stuff that is photo realistic. Uses Mantle/LiquidVR which is another boost for the hardware.

Remember how people laughed their asses off when the specs for the PS4 and Xbox1 were announced they said" these consoles will be slower then what we have right now". Needless to say they were wrong

Reactions: Yakk
like this
Remember how people laughed their asses off when the specs for the PS4 and Xbox1 were announced they said" these consoles will be slower then what we have right now". Needless to say they were wrong

You're thinking of the Wii U, which was not much more powerful than a 360. The GPU was a little faster (720p/30 on demanding games, 720p/60 on simpler titles, 1080p/30 on older ports) than the 360, but the CPU is slower. Made ports from other platforms problematic, because they had to modify AI. Also, the ram is just double that of the 360, which is hardly impressive.

The PS4 is a massive improvement compared to the PS3: 16x total ram, more powerful per-core with a much easier to use 8-core CPU architecture, and way faster GPU (with easy gpgpu use). Anyone who tells you otherwise is simply retarded. It's just not quite as big of a bump as we saw PS2->PS3, so people whined a bit :D

Because it is not doing stuff that is photo realistic. Uses Mantle/LiquidVR which is another boost for the hardware.

Umm... this has been the worst console performance jump since I can remember. And I have been gaming since pre NES days. These consoles are weak and garbage compared to jumps in previous generations. And this has been tested and pointed out on MANY MANY occasions by MANY major review sites, both on launch and recently.

And judging by the graphics and the apparent lack of resolution, probably a first gen Wii.
Probably Wii U/ps3/xbox 360 level. The demo was probably a rush job. I do agree that more horsepower is needed to make this sort of thing work, but it's a cool idea and you don't need the eye candy to start the development process.

Umm... this has been the worst console performance jump since I can remember. And I have been gaming since pre NES days. These consoles are weak and garbage compared to jumps in previous generations. And this has been tested and pointed out on MANY MANY occasions by MANY major review sites, both on launch and recently.

Yeah something as 1080p Battlefield 4 at 60 fps is such shuffleware .. Well the many many major review sites are a bunch of n00bs , yes you heard it here first :) .

Probably Wii U/ps3/xbox 360 level. The demo was probably a rush job. I do agree that more horsepower is needed to make this sort of thing work, but it's a cool idea and you don't need the eye candy to start the development process.

To what end ?
You will price yourself out of the market and even if you had the best of the best VR solution it is only as good as its content. You would be better of doing it well on a small scale with less hardware specs then on a grand scale with high hardware specs..

If you want entry level VR to get people into it this might be a very good solution .....

Back