AMD Announces Ryzen Threadripper 1900X @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD Announces Ryzen Threadripper 1900X

Today AMD rolls out what is not a very well kept secret, the Ryzen Threadripper model 1900X CPU. There is no doubt that Threadripper has already been a success for AMD, but how exactly does does an 8-core Threadripper fit into High End Desktop (HEDT) world of processors and platforms? The user profile is fairly skinny.

Last edited:
So to go entry level TR, your paying about $50 more than the 1800X and around $150-$200 more for the mobo....just to get some QC RAM, more lanes and NVMe boot privileges? You might as well just pony up and get the 1920X.

Just a note, you can't do an NVMe RAID setup on Threadripper until AMD updates it's AGESA code to allow it.

Memory compatibility can still be dicey. I don't know how Threadripper behaves with eight modules either. X99 and Haswell-E or Broadwell-E did not.

It's not behaving that well with 4 either from what I've seen, if you want fast RAM, you need to run 2 sticks, just like Ryzen it seems...but you lose out on QC smh.

Last edited:
I haven't had trouble with four modules so far. .

What RAM are you using? If your using 3600MHz than yeah no issues, but anything higher than that is a crapshoot. 3800MHz - 4000MHz is being advertised as "working" but not from what I've seen.

Seems like a good niche to fill, somebody that doesn't need a ton of cores but needs a lot of io and/or ram. Perfect for a GPU based machine learning box.

It's not behaving that well with 4 either from what I've seen, if you want fast RAM, you need to run 2 sticks, just like Ryzen it seems...but you lose out on QC smh.
I had not issues with 4 sticks at all. That said, as I have been saying for months and months. Get RAM on the QVL list, or get specific "AM4" packaged RAM. Damn near every stick of DDR4 on the market was designed around Intel DDR4 usage and tuned for such. We take a lot of things for granted when it comes to PC compatibility. We shouldn't.

What RAM are you using? If your using 3600MHz than yeah no issues, but anything higher than that is a crapshoot. 3800MHz - 4000MHz is being advertised as "working" but not from what I've seen.
Again, just because it works on Intel, does not mean it will work on AMD.

STR4, not AM4 socket. Bummer! That means no cheap, er, less expensive motherboards. You'll have to get one of the $$$ STR4 ones.

Some Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz RAM. I haven't been able to get it to run at 3600MHz speeds. 3200MHz has been no problem though.

Well I blame the AGESA 1006 change log for saying "including support for 4000MHz RAM", now people are treating it as gospel whether its AMD TR certified or not.

Even if the TR4 platform can technically run DDR4 4000MHz RAM, there are no guarantees that a given set of modules will work at those speeds. Even if a given set of RAM is on the QVL, it may not have been tested at those speeds if the board was released prior to the AGESA code update.

Seems like a good niche to fill, somebody that doesn't need a ton of cores but needs a lot of io and/or ram. Perfect for a GPU based machine learning box.
I was actually think for someone who likes the long game of the platform, but doesn't want or need the 750/1000$ cpu purchase right now.

Kyle do you have plans to test a 1900x, assuming you can get your hands on one?

Edit:
Not many, if basically any, reviews at the moment out there. CPU-monkey has a handful of synthetics showing a 5-10% increase over the 1800x, but it's really really lacking overall

Last edited:
STR4, not AM4 socket. Bummer! That means no cheap, er, less expensive motherboards. You'll have to get one of the $$$ STR4 ones.

I would hate to see what would happen to a "cheap" mobo with a 180w CPU in it being OC'ed.
It would be like the AM3+ era $50 -$70 880G and 970 all over again.

I would hate to see what would happen to a "cheap" mobo with a 180w CPU in it being OC'ed.
It would be like the AM3+ era $50 -$70 880G and 970 all over again.

Good point. I didn't know the things were 180w, yikes.

I would expect these to be lot less than 180W TDP even though it is listed in the technical documents. All TR4 CPUs are listed as 180W.

I would expect these to be lot less than 180W TDP even though it is listed in the technical documents. All TR4 CPUs are listed as 180W.

And we all know how conservative AMD can be when it comes to how much power their CPU's guzzle, especially OC'ed, Ryzen being the outlier.

AMD logic makes sense to me here. While I'm not a huge fan of ryzen, feeding 8 cores with sufficient memory bandwidth was one of the issues I had with the initial Ryzen launch.

I think the price of the 1900X needs to be lowered versus the X299 6C/12T even though TR4 is a significantly better platform.

With that said if you need ECC this is a big win for AMD. The 6C/12T xeon-w is priced at $617.

Last edited:
I think the price of the 1900X needs to be lowered versus the X299 6C/12T even though TR4 is a significantly better platform.

Can't go much lower, it's only $50 more than the 1800X, but you have to go TR4. Sort of like what Intel did with the 4820K and 2011. The platform is where they nickel and dime ya to death with all the bells and whistles.

Can't go much lower, it's only $50 more than the 1800X, but you have to go TR4. Sort of like what Intel did with the 4820K and 2011. The platform is where they nickel and dime ya to death with all the bells and whistles.

1800x: http://www.microcenter.com/product/476003/Ryzen_7_1800X_36_GHz_8_Core_AM4_Boxed_Processor $349.99
1900x: http://www.microcenter.com/product/483279/Ryzen_Threadripper_1900X_38_GHz_8_Core_TR4_Boxed_Processor $549.99

Where is everyone shopping that it's only $50 more?

Amazon and Newegg still list 1800x at 499$

Yep I just saw that, and not all of us are lucky enough to have a MC near us, I know I'm not.
Now I don't feel so bad.

EDIT: Their 1800X is $459 on sale at the Egg.

Last edited:
The nearest MC is around 200 miles from me. That makes it out of reach unless I have another reason to be in the location.

If only if the 1900x was $400, I would ebay my 1800x and get it. I see Asus paper-launched the ROG Strix X399-E Gaming board. So far, no independent reviews for the 1900x. While I would like to run my second Samsung 960 Evo at pcie 3.0 x4 lanes instead of pcie x4 2.0 lanes and take advantage of quad channel memory, from the preliminary slides, it doesn't appear to be a significant performance jump for the asking price (processor + mobo). Guess I buy the ROG Strix X370-f and rma this trashy X370 gaming pro carbon.

That is the nearest store to me...

I have a better chance of going the one in Philadelphia when I am visiting relatives (once a year) but it has not happened yet because of scheduling (usually too much going on for me to escape) and the live to the North of the city.

The 1900X + X300 is the sanest route for me to get over 4 cores without going stupid about it. For about the same price as the lowest cost 6-core Intel setup I can be rocking the AMD baby-ThreadRipper rig. And I have little doubt I would be kicking that Intel setup's butt in the benchies. I like multiple M.2 drives on Gen3 x4 and the TR platform gives me all the PCIe Gen3 lanes I could possibly want for it. Hell and I can even reuse my 64GB of DDR4 memory on it! I doubt I would even need a new TR-sized cooler for it since the CPU comes with a bracket that would fit my Corsair H115i.

Now just to build up the bank account for it ;)

And I have little doubt I would be kicking that Intel setup's butt in the benchies.

I would expect them (6C/12T i7 vs 1900X) to have similar performance in high threaded tasks with the i7 winning in most (~8 or less) threaded tasks. AMD's advantage with the TR4 is a better platform (features like ECC and more lanes).

Last edited:
I was almost set on going 1900X or 1920X. I really like what the X399 platform has to offer and obviously is the most [H] route to go if going AMD. Would have done it too, but I would have had to buy a new cooler and likely ram , plus I found a new 7820X for $530 and a ASRock X299 Taichi for $235 which allowed me to keep my existing cooler/ram. So it ended up being more cost effective for me to go X299. I think the 1900X priced decent with the 7820X listed at $599. I do wish that the X399 motherboards had a slightly lower cost to get into, with at least some options in the $250 range.

is it the same 180 watts like the 1950x & 1920x ?

any full reviews with sli/cfx

I have a zenith extreme and EK block sitting here wait on reviews on this to replace my R4E 3930k

I think the 1900X priced decent with the 7820X listed at $599.

I think you are comparing the wrong i7 CPU. You should have compared the 6C /12T 7800X since it will be the closest competition (performance wise) considering Intel's IPC advantage.

I think you are comparing the wrong i7 CPU. You should have compared the 6C /12T 7800X since it will be the closest competition (performance wise) considering Intel's IPC advantage.

They don't really have an IPC advantage, they have a clock speed advantage (at least on the 4 core i7's) which the 6c/12t cpus don't have over the TR. Base and boost clocks are 3.7/4.0 for i7 6c/12t, 1900x TR is 3.8/4.0. In single thread only you might see a little more out of the i7 at 4.3 max where XFR on 1900xTR is 4.2, but in multithread the TR will be at the same speed and have 2c/4t more. IPC (clock for clock) is roughly equal between current gen i7 and Ryzen with little IPC improvement for Coffee Lake, and they are going to clocked roughly the same.

We'll see. I have a feeling power consumption is going to be closer to the other TR4 chips than it is to Ryzen 7.

I love my Ryzen 7 rig. It has all the performance/cores I need and it uses less power than the i7 4930k setup it replaced. The one thing I really need is a few more PCI-E lanes... Not sure the higher cost/power consumption is worth it for these chips though.

I doubt I would even need a new TR-sized cooler for it since the CPU comes with a bracket that would fit my Corsair H115i.

I would agree with "need." However, those active cores on the 1900X Threadripper are diagonal from each other, so they may not lay fully under the coldplate. At least theoretically, your H115i should cool Ryzen 7 better than 1900X.

The 1900x is available to buy in the UK at Scan.co.uk for £544.99, can't see it anywhere else though.

Edit: CCL have them as well, same price

Back