AMD announces Ryzen 7000 Zen 4 CPUs

I’m sure there’s a reason, but what would this accelerate workload wise?
Well when paired with some of the new direct storage API’s this could offer substantial performance increases for gaming especially in scenarios where there is insufficient GPU ram to store all the needed assets on the card, or where an unstated asset is called upon.

Depending on the changes to AMD’s new memory controller they could see a decent performance increase especially in GPU bound scenarios, specifically focusing on the 1% lows.

Well when paired with some of the new direct storage API’s this could offer substantial performance increases for gaming especially in scenarios where there is insufficient GPU ram to store all the needed assets on the card, or where an unstated asset is called upon.
Maybe like you say could, Forspoken for the most famous example topped below 5,000 MB/s including the decompression (so significantly slower raw speed probably around 2.75 gbs, they were getting close to a gig second with SATA ssd with decompression considering a theoric max speed of what around 550mb/s).

Maybe software and hardware will get much faster at eating stuff from the SSD and be 4 time or more faster than that and some game will have asset big enough (and field of view setting) to use it, but chance are good the old 7,000 mbs will be fast enough (chance are good Xbox X ssd speed will be fast enough or close to be for a while).

Last edited:
Maybe like you say could, Forspoken for the most famous example topped below 5,000 MB/s including the decompression (so significantly slower raw speed probably around 2.75 gbs, they were getting close to a gig second with SATA ssd with decompression considering a theoric max speed of what around 550mb/s).

Maybe software and hardware will get much faster at eating stuff from the SSD and be 4 time or more faster than that and some game will have asset big enough (and field of view setting) to use it, but chance are good the old 7,000 mbs will be fast enough (chance are good Xbox X ssd speed will be fast enough or close to be for a while).
The fun thing here is for many of the cooler features you need a storage controller that supports some of the optional features of the standards. And the new Phison controllers that are featured on the upcoming PCIe5 drives that AMD partnered for the launch with all do support them. Pair this with the new cards and this could let AMD pump up their numbers initially by utilizing some framework synergies.

99% of the time it’s going to mean nothing but it that 1%.

Honestly this all screams of AMD having to reach for anything they can I really do believe they are trying not to repeat Intel’s Gen11 launch woes and they are scrambling for anything that can improve performance numbers.

More power to ya!

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...zen-7000-power-specs-230w-peak-power-170w-tdp

"AMD would like to issue a correction to the socket power and TDP limits of the upcoming AMD Socket AM5. AMD Socket AM5 supports up to a 170W TDP with a PPT up to 230W. TDP*1.35 is the standard calculation for TDP v. PPT for AMD sockets in the “Zen” era, and the new 170W TDP group is no exception (170*1.35=229.5).

"This new TDP group will enable considerably more compute performance for high core count CPUs in heavy compute workloads, which will sit alongside the 65W and 105W TDP groups that Ryzen is known for today. AMD takes great pride in providing the enthusiast community with transparent and forthright product capabilities, and we want to take this opportunity to apologize for our error and any subsequent confusion we may have caused on this topic."

More power to ya!

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...zen-7000-power-specs-230w-peak-power-170w-tdp

"AMD would like to issue a correction to the socket power and TDP limits of the upcoming AMD Socket AM5. AMD Socket AM5 supports up to a 170W TDP with a PPT up to 230W. TDP*1.35 is the standard calculation for TDP v. PPT for AMD sockets in the “Zen” era, and the new 170W TDP group is no exception (170*1.35=229.5).

"This new TDP group will enable considerably more compute performance for high core count CPUs in heavy compute workloads, which will sit alongside the 65W and 105W TDP groups that Ryzen is known for today. AMD takes great pride in providing the enthusiast community with transparent and forthright product capabilities, and we want to take this opportunity to apologize for our error and any subsequent confusion we may have caused on this topic."
Makes sense. CPUs are super peaky, so logically there will be instances where the processor is pulling much more power than the heat it is putting out. That's also why they have hot spots and need a heatspreader (well, that and the uneven surface of the die).

More power to ya!

I noticed they didn’t show power usage during their demo…

Which is weird when they say this: "AMD takes great pride in providing the enthusiast community with transparent and forthright product capabilities"
To be honest they didn't show much.

The only new info we got was chipset standards, l2 cache and frequency POTENTIAL. No skus, no tdps, no Max core counts, no benchmark numbers.

The debate was someone saying that AMD is using +15% and that is probably the lower of the worst case.
actually an amd rep was on Hot Hardware yesterday and he confirmed exactly that. that there are a lot of cases where it was more but they are trying under rate and over deliver on performance numbers. also he said that the chip they were using was engineering sample and they are close to finalizing but still tweaking a ironing out what the final specs are gonna be and will be somewhere between 105 and 170w but should be well under 170 because that would only be at the extreme high end of the architecture if even that. and he confirmed that 3d vcache isn't going anywhere, it may not be on any of the launch parts but eventually there will be 7000 series parts with 3d vcache. There is also suppose to another batch of 5800x-3d's on the way and they will also still be supporting am4 with parts for a while after 7000 series releases.

actually an amd rep was on Hot Hardware yesterday and he confirmed exactly that. that there are a lot of cases where it was more
That is not saying that the lower of worst case they saw will be 15%, that is completely different.

There is a range of scenarios, your bottom 5th percentile, your 5 to 95, your 95+, you do not have to focus your marketing about the lower amount happening in the worst 1-2-3% scenario for having a delivering on performance launch or someone saying that there is a lot of case where it was more, marketing using the middle of the road 40%-55% will do all that.

So what have we learned from previous launches?

1. Don’t overpay to be the “first”
2. Don’t buy on ebay
3. The 7900x will have one good chiplet and one shitlet
4. People will complain how hot the 7800x is versus the 7900x
5. The 7700x will be the best gaming bang for buck
6. 7600x will be in short supply and be marked up to 7700x prices due to demand
7. gamers nexus will ask why there’s no 7600 non-x
8. The mid tier motherboards will be better supported over the life of the socket vs first gen high tier
9. People will ask if their 120mm single fan tower will cool a 7950x okay, because they spent all their build budget on it and don’t have money for a new cooler
10. Avoid a certain retailer

What did I miss?

2. Don’t buy on ebay
8. The mid tier motherboards will be better supported over the life of the socket vs first gen high tier
9. People will ask if their 120mm single fan tower will cool a 7950x okay, because they spent all their build budget on it and don’t have money for a new cooler

What did I miss?
9. i am still running heatsinks that were designed for socket 939 chips, so i would assume it will be fine.
the list is spot on tho.

2. Don’t buy on ebay

What did I miss?

11. People will complain about the operating temperature, but brag about having low power consumption.

Last edited:
AMD expanded on their description of the new Smart Access Storage features that they announced with the platform.

"According to Azor, Smart Access Storage, which is basically a fancy name for PCIe Resizable Bar (ReBar), makes the entire VRAM buffer of the graphics card available for DirectStorage and asset decompression, whereas without Smart Access Storage, only 256MB of VRAM is addressable and transferable. This should, in theory, make SmartAccess Storage much faster than DirectStorage. It also implies that SmartAccess Storage will not be supported on all Radeon GPUs."
https://www.neowin.net/news/amd-exp...torage-takes-directstorage-to-the-next-level/

Combining these should be pretty dope for game and texture loading, especially in new engines that properly take advantage of them, not sure exactly how much an a real impact we will see but I do love tech like this that works behind the scenes to make things smoother and more enjoyable as a whole rather than the good old "just throw more CPU at it".
Interestingly depending on how AMD does things, it could be possible for the onboard GPU to handle the decompression tasks midstream, which could be beneficial in situations where you are already GPU limited not having it then have to divert processing time to decompression.

I love the idea of new toys! I hate paying for them...

2. Don’t buy on ebay

What did I miss?

I do want to get this platform but will probably wait a few months this time. Ensure I don't have to play the BIOS game up front. I have a 3700X which isn't a bad CPU, but I could see an improvement if I went to a new one. I believe there are drivers for my X370 board for the 5800X3D, but I feel like upgrading the board this time to get all of the new features. Each BIOS update removes features/support. Time to upgrade to a new platform. I went from a 1600 to a 2700X to a 3700X.

I'm assuming I can get a 7700X - whatever for a reasonable price, and it should be a worthwhile jump over the 3700X plus bring all of the features newer boards have.

I hope they move the X5 SKU to 8 cores.

Both AMD and Intel have been sitting on 6/12 x5s for four generations.

i3/r3 = 6/12
i5/r5 = 8/16
i7/r7 = 8p8e or 12/24
i9/r9 = 8p16e or 16/32

Thats a world I can believe in.

Something about a model being called 7700 bothers me. It's too close to the last Intel chip that I bought. I wish that it was called the j7 920...

From what I gather from this is that the 5800X3D is still going to be king of the hill in performance until AMD combines their V-Cache with Zen4. The more interesting thing from the Ryzen 7000 series is the included AVX-512 and RDNA2, plus 5nm manufacturing. AVX-512 is a big deal especially for the emulation community. RDNA2 graphics is probably AMD telling consumers that low end graphic cards are dead so buy our CPU's instead. All this combined with 5nm is going to give AMD the potential of making CPU's with low power and great performance compared to the Apple M1. I doubt the 7000 series will be as power efficient as the M1 but it'll be close and the performance of the Ryzen 7000 series plus the x86 compatibility will make it hard to justify buying an M1 equipped MacBook. Even though by the time the 7000 series is out the M2 will be out, probably using 3nm or 4nm, but will still draw more power compared to the M1 due to all the extra GPU cores Apple will certainly add to compensate for the lack luster GPU performance of the M1. Still worlds behind RDNA2 which will be equipped to every Ryzen 7000 series CPU. This will certainly push Intel to equip their new GPU tech into their CPU's as well, which will hopefully bring about the APU wars that I've wanted for nearly a decade.

From what I gather from this is that the 5800X3D is still going to be king of the hill in performance until AMD combines their V-Cache with Zen4. The more interesting thing from the Ryzen 7000 series is the included AVX-512 and RDNA2, plus 5nm manufacturing. AVX-512 is a big deal especially for the emulation community. RDNA2 graphics is probably AMD telling consumers that low end graphic cards are dead so buy our CPU's instead. All this combined with 5nm is going to give AMD the potential of making CPU's with low power and great performance compared to the Apple M1. I doubt the 7000 series will be as power efficient as the M1 but it'll be close and the performance of the Ryzen 7000 series plus the x86 compatibility will make it hard to justify buying an M1 equipped MacBook. Even though by the time the 7000 series is out the M2 will be out, probably using 3nm or 4nm, but will still draw more power compared to the M1 due to all the extra GPU cores Apple will certainly add to compensate for the lack luster GPU performance of the M1. Still worlds behind RDNA2 which will be equipped to every Ryzen 7000 series CPU. This will certainly push Intel to equip their new GPU tech into their CPU's as well, which will hopefully bring about the APU wars that I've wanted for nearly a decade.
I’m really looking forward to their APU launch a 7700G would make a serious emulation beast.

actually an amd rep was on Hot Hardware yesterday and he confirmed exactly that. that there are a lot of cases where it was more but they are trying under rate and over deliver on performance numbers. also he said that the chip they were using was engineering sample and they are close to finalizing but still tweaking a ironing out what the final specs are gonna be and will be somewhere between 105 and 170w but should be well under 170 because that would only be at the extreme high end of the architecture if even that. and he confirmed that 3d vcache isn't going anywhere, it may not be on any of the launch parts but eventually there will be 7000 series parts with 3d vcache. There is also suppose to another batch of 5800x-3d's on the way and they will also still be supporting am4 with parts for a while after 7000 series releases.
Was much the same from Hallock himself on r/AMD few days back.
They are sandbagging as many have said, myself included. Also, they glossed over the '30% less time' in blender, which is actually 40% faster than the 129000SH(space heater).
So seems there might be more in the kitty which makes me wonder if I wait or just go x3d. X3D is easier to feed ram and cheaper overall system cost and it's there now. IDGAF about pcie5 and ddr5, as when they are relevant, then a new system that can actually run above spec on the ram will be much more viable than one now which is rated for launch speeds (with launch bugs).

I’m really looking forward to their APU launch a 7700G would make a serious emulation beast.
Didn't AMD say all their Zen 4 CPUs would have APUs included? If this is the case, there wouldn't be any 7###G models, no?

Didn't AMD say all their Zen 4 CPUs would have APUs included? If this is the case, there wouldn't be any 7###G models, no?
The GPU built in this round aren’t going to be any more powerful than the Intel iGPUs they are for display out for diagnostics and basic office productivity. They’ve been pretty clear to avoid the any gaming related keywords.

The G models usually are made from a single chip with higher graphics capacity (8 CUs are more)

The regular 7xxx models will have minimum gpu (4 CU) on a separate i/o die

The GPU built in this round aren’t going to be any more powerful than the Intel iGPUs they are for display out for diagnostics and basic office productivity. They’ve been pretty clear to avoid the any gaming related keywords.

Its still annoying that they feel the need to include them.

That means that people who have no intent of ever using them are being forced to pay for something they neither need nor want. It's kind of bullshit.

I believe all parts should be minimalist without any extraneous features. If you want them, you hsould be able to add them in yourself.

Thanks all.
If this is the case, then it makes little sense to me to upgrade to Zen 4 for gaming. It will be very expensive -- new CPU, new MB for AM5 socket, DDR5 RAM which is still ridiculously expensive. I'm sure there would be a considerable boost in performance, but most likely not enough to justify what would easily tally up to a minimum of $700, perhaps higher. That's a new mid-range GPU or better for the same cost.
I could definitely understand it if upgrading a workstation PC.

That means that people who have no intent of ever using them are being forced to pay for something they neither need nor want. It's kind of bullshit.

I believe all parts should be minimalist without any extraneous features. If you want them, you hsould be able to add them in yourself.
I get it, what I am most interested about is what the system will do with those onboard GPU’s when a discrete one is added. Will it “crossfire” there are plenty of things it could offload that aren’t graphics related that run n the GPU. It could handle texture decompression, physics, probably other things too. Would decrease both CPU and GPU load and squeeze out a few extra frames, if they actually support it at a driver level.

Thanks all.
If this is the case, then it makes little sense to me to upgrade to Zen 4 for gaming. It will be very expensive -- new CPU, new MB for AM5 socket, DDR5 RAM which is still ridiculously expensive. I'm sure there would be a considerable boost in performance, but most likely not enough to justify what would easily tally up to a minimum of $700, perhaps higher. That's a new mid-range GPU or better for the same cost.
If you are rocking a 300 class chipset then AM5 is for you, otherwise the 5800x3d is your go to chip and really extends out the AM4 platform as long as that chip exists. Based on the leaks and the announcements I don’t think AMD is launching a new round of “gaming” CPU’s out the gate, I expect to see a solid launch of mid and upper mid that will be very competent CPU’s but for pure gaming the 5800x3d is too good.

TSMC is struggling with their CoWoS (Chip-on-Wafer-on-Substrate) that they use in conjunction with their TSV (Through Silicon Via) on the 5nm scale, this tech pairing is what makes the 3D cache structure work for their stacked cache. Unless their new IO chips are radically different and far better than their existing ones they are going to have to spread that gap with raw power.

But just as Intel 11th is to 10th as AMD 7000 is to 5000. First gen node change is going to be weird for the platform paired with its first new socket in 6 years. It’s going to be another 2-3 years before the advantages of DDR5 get to be used for mainstream titles just because of the prevalence of DDR4.

But the platform looks good, I look forward to second gen.

Thanks all.
Certainly, unless you're the type to want the bleeding edge.

This makes a lot more sense for someone who's 2-3 generations back (or more), which is how it usually is.

I get it, what I am most interested about is what the system will do with those onboard GPU’s when a discrete one is added. Will it “crossfire” there are plenty of things it could offload that aren’t graphics related that run n the GPU. It could handle texture decompression, physics, probably other things too. Would decrease both CPU and GPU load and squeeze out a few extra frames, if they actually support it at a driver level.

If it does any or all of those things, that would be great.

I'm just not counting on it.

It'll be interesting to see if they do put out APUs, to see how they show up--as one GPU or as two.
Since it’s in the IO die, I’d imagine it won’t be there on the APUs, as those have been monolithic dies thus far, not chiplet based.

I feel like that ship has sailed. Am4 doesn't need a chipset really (a300/x300 is just a spi rom), but you can't find a motherboard that just pulls all the on-chip functionality. You've got to pay for a chipset, even if you don't use it. At a certain point, putting in all the features is cheaper than making a diverse set of SKUs each with some features but none with the ones you actually want (paging Intel)

If it does any or all of those things, that would be great.

I'm just not counting on it.
If it did any of that it would renew my faith in AMD’s software team.
It won’t, I’m not shocked, but I do think it’s a wasted opportunity.
AMD has a currently unique ability to stack their hardware in all the major points, CPU, GPU, Chipset, and Drivers. Through their console connections they are in the front seat of the development environment. They could be leveraging this with some unique platform synergies that nobody else could currently match.
They could launch it as a “standard” and let the chips fall and see if Intel and Nvidia can implement it with their parts but it would give AMD users a strong incentive to keep it all AMD top to bottom.

Yeah, but if we go by Intel as a guide and AMD follows along their pricing formula, the difference in price between a CPU with a few onboard GPU cores and one that has zero is around $10, which to me is worth it for a) diagnostic purposes, and b) giving to other members of my family when I upgrade who don't need a GPU, which is what typically happens to my older systems. In the grand scheme of things, $10 isn't going to move the needle on anyone's budget, and if it does then you're likely not in the market for a $1500-$2000 gaming or workstation PC anyway.

Back