AMD Announces Radeon R9 280

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD has just announced the Radeon R9 280. While no R9 280 cards were available at press time, the company did send along performance figures conducted in-house on a system sporting an Intel Core i7 4960X (3.6GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 running Catalyst 14.1 performance drivers. The GeForce GTX 760 was running NVIDIA's ForceWare 332.21 WHQL drivers.

The 280x is 20% faster than the GTX 760, and that's an overclocked 7970.
How exactly is an overclocked 7950 supposed to match that?

AMD is embarrassing themselves. Why even bother marketing this thing, it's going straight into mining rigs anyway.

Rebranding was inevitable. How is it embarrassing though? They want their product line to make sense and there are decent tweaks to the hardware and a theoretical price drop. The fact that a niche market has artificially inflated prices notwithstanding. AMD unable to keep up with demand at an almost 2x price point by resellers is embarrassing?

Edit: rereading your post and I think you are being facetious...

I was actually wondering why they didn't do this sooner.

Probably lack of chips. How often do you see 280x available for sane prices? They're probably selling every chip they can as 280x, why cut them down to the standard 280?

Yeah, these are binned chips that didn't make the cut. With the process being very mature there probably wasn't enough before now to make a sku.

Now... in for a dozen if I can find these at msrp...

I can see these going to the prices of where 280x's are almost the day after launch.

I can see these going to the prices of where 280x's are almost the day after launch.

Seriously.

Look at the prices on Ebay of 7950s vs 7970s. I see a lot of 7970s going for less than some of the 7950s go for.

It's not like they'll even release it, right? I mean, I have been wanting an R7 265, and it was "released" over 2 weeks ago. But where is it? I just want a faster card to go on my older Core 2 Duo 8400 system... But I know the 280 is overkill. *shrug*

It's not like they'll even release it, right? I mean, I have been wanting an R7 265, and it was "released" over 2 weeks ago. But where is it? I just want a faster card to go on my older Core 2 Duo 8400 system... But I know the 280 is overkill. *shrug*

If I remember correctly the 265's were not scheduled to be in stores until mid March.

Test rig Intel i7 6-core doesn't AMD have 8-core why didn't they test with that?

Test rig Intel i7 6-core doesn't AMD have 8-core why didn't they test with that?
I think it's hilarious that AMD used an Intel CPU to show off their new video card. That alone speaks VOLUMES about their faith in their own CPUs.

750TI would fit that bill well.

I think it's hilarious that AMD used an Intel CPU to show off their new video card. That alone speaks VOLUMES about their faith in their own CPUs.

They used the highest processor you can find, it costs $1000. AMD's highest end only cost $349.99

That way people can't complain that it was CPU bound at all.

Back