AMD Announces Availability of Radeon Pro WX Series Graphics Cards

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced the availability of the Radeon™ Pro WX Series of graphics cards, the company's powerful, new workstation graphics solutions designed to meet the evolving needs of creative professionals. The Radeon™ Pro WX Series professional graphics cards are designed around a number of transformational inflection points that are dramatically changing the way content is created, including the rise of real-time game engines in professional settings, the emergence of virtual reality, the popularity of new low-overhead APIs (such as DirectX® 12 and Vulkan™), and the rise of open-source tools and applications. The Radeon Pro WX Series represents a revolutionary approach for professionals rooted in a commitment to open, non-proprietary software and high performing, feature-rich hardware that empowers people to truly create "the art of the impossible."

I think it has been a while since they released a line of pro series cards, good for them.

I need something to replace my 970, it really bothers me having anything from nvidia in my system.

Will these cards be similar in features/performance to the next gen AMD Polaris cards ?

It is always too vague for me to know exactly what pro cards will do for me. There is never enough benchmarks that show real world value over a consumer card and they are often cut down or older architectures, and cost a fortune. They also suck at gaming.

It is always too vague for me to know exactly what pro cards will do for me. There is never enough benchmarks that show real world value over a consumer card and they are often cut down or older architectures, and cost a fortune. They also suck at gaming.

In some professional applications you need certified drivers for hardware acceleration. That's where they matter.

They are often also clocked lower to actually be able to deliver.

Interesting to see a full-fat Polaris 11 part in the lineup. The 460 needed to be a full-chip, as it is today, against the 1050, it is pointless. The 470, however, is almost too good next to similar priced Nvidia options.

In some professional applications you need certified drivers for hardware acceleration. That's where they matter.

They also often have like 2x-3x more VRAM than gaming cards.

It is interesting to see these cards pitched at CAD professionals, when their Firepro line was reserved for that. I wonder what's going on with the firepro line. It is interesting how certain WX models have on card m.2 ssds. can't wait to see some benchmarks and reviews.

It is interesting to see these cards pitched at CAD professionals, when their Firepro line was reserved for that. I wonder what's going on with the firepro line. It is interesting how certain WX models have on card m.2 ssds. can't wait to see some benchmarks and reviews.
This I guess is why they do not offer more ram then their consumer counter parts.

I wish there was an [H] equivalent that had reliable benches that compared pro vs. consumer. How much more does the Pro 480 get me over the consumer 480 in Premiere or After Effects for example.

AMD employee on B3D infer the architecture tweaks are subtly different between gaming models and pro models from a power profile perspective.
Was asked because the WX5100 is very similar to the 470D sold in China, same CU and Stream Processors but an employee of AMD states differences are there as their design focus are different in terms of power profile-arch design focus, one for gaming and one for CAD-pro work.
Power to performance profile for gaming is different to the primary use case for WX 5100, which is CAD. There is heavier emphasis on keep the clock as high as possible to maximize the primitive rate in this use case, where games is more shader/texture dominated.

This also explains part of the reason Pro WX series has a more efficient TDP comparing Polaris GPUs but similar TFLOPs.
Cheers

Back