AMD Announces AGESA 1.1.9.0 Firmware Updates, Improve FCLK OC Stability

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Next up, AMD mentions support for "fanless X570 motherboards." We're not entirely sure whether this means a fan-down mode on existing X570 motherboards, or whether a new wave of motherboards based on the chipset is incoming, which lacks active cooling for the chipset (and makes do with passive heatsinks). One such board is the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero. Perhaps the firmware assists in helping the X570 chipset maintain a lower TDP. Wrapping things up, AMD mentions "general stability improvements," which are always welcome. Keep probing the "support" section of your motherboard's product page on its company website for the latest firmware updates."

https://www.techpowerup.com/276833/...-0-firmware-updates-improve-fclk-oc-stability

I just saw this on Guru3d, and yessss x 1000

I'm stuck on my 3800mhz cl14 right now on a 5000 series proc cause anything over 1900 fclk at 1:1:1 causes a bios reset, and would love to pump that up to 2000flck @ 4000mhz cl14 for even more umph. MSI x570 board.

This was supposed to be what AMD released back in Novemeber claiming the sweet spot is 4000mhz for mem but they apparently hadn't ironed out all the kinks yet, making anything over 3800mhz for an fclk above 1900 an impossibly slim lottery with your chip and/or motherboard. If it's stable, I will be one happy camper.

EDIT 1: Looks like MSI posted the bios on 1/4/21 for the new agesa 1.1.9.0, going to update now - wish me luck!

Edit 2: Some before and afters - wow the new bios improved memory, regardless of speed, in my case; additionally it now goes over 1900flkc. Memory reads skyrocketed, without an fclk bump, and saw even more improvement when I went from 1900 to 1933. My mem might be at a wall with cl14 @ 3866mhz tho, so I'll have to switch to cl15 for testing of Fclk over 1933 or loosen up some timings. At Fclk 1967 for 3966mhz cl14 my windows wasn't stable enough for benchmark runs. However, AMD has succeeded in opening up Fclk over 1800 with the new AGESA 1.1.9.0

All references are from AIDA64

THE BEFORE: Old Agesa 1.1.0.0 Fclk 1900 mem 3800mhz cl14 manually set sub timings
Note: This was the previous best result I could get for a 1:1:1 ratio on agesa 1.1.0.0 (ZenTimings are the same for all 3 screencaps)

3800mhz-14-14-14-28-fclk1900.png

AGESA 1.1.9.0 SAME TIMINGS Fclk 1900 mem 3800mhz cl14 manually set sub timings
Note: 4470 read improvement with all the same settings at same 55ns latency!

newagesabios.png

Agesa 1.1.9.0 Fclk 1933 Mem speed 3866mhz cl14 manually set sub timings
Note: 11489 read improvement over agesa 1.1.1.0 Fclk 1800, with 6579 read improvement over 1900 Fclk on same 1.1.9.0 agesa bios!

newagesa1833fclk.png

In closing, I'm really blown away at the performance memory wise on these new Agesa 1.1.9.0 bios AMD cooked up. Even their new wine tastes delicious!

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think I can get the same CL14 with tweaked sub timings windows stable at over 3866mhz memory. My kit is a G.Skill F4-4266C16D-16GVK, With actual stock in bios of 4266mhz 16-19-19-39 CR2. Also, for fun, this is the original Aida run for the memory at 4266mhz stock timings:

4266-16-19.png

So, taking Ryzen 5000's Fclk limit into account, I've managed an 18,761 Read improvement on Aida64 with a Latency drop from 65.8ns to around 54-55ns. Make sure to tweak your ram for Ryzen if you have a fast kit!!!

Last edited:
In closing, I'm really blown away at the performance memory wise on these new Agesa 1.1.9.0 bios AMD cooked up.
Interesting that your L3 cache throughput almost doubled.
Before:
1609954056780.png

After:
1609954086054.png

Reactions: erek
like this
Assuming I can ever find a desirable 5000 series part at MSRP that may be the part that I learn to overclock again on, haven't really messed with it in a very long time but it could be fun to play again.

Not seeing this yet on my Asrock motherboard either.

That said.

Is this gonna do anything at all for Ryzen 3000 series CPUs or is this only going to benefit 5000 series?

Asus seems to take forever with updates - they had a beta version with this AGESA and then pulled it for some reason.

Subbed to thread just in case I ever get a GPU worth running in my son's X570..

Asus removed the beta for new AGESA. I had it and had stability issues. Probably why. I downgraded to the old bios and rock solid. I am cool with that I have right now and will wait for final bios. Not trying ASUS betas anymore.

Asus removed the beta for new AGESA. I had it and had stability issues. Probably why. I downgraded to the old bios and rock solid. I am cool with that I have right now and will wait for final bios. Not trying ASUS betas anymore.
what mobo are you using? I am downloading the strix x570-e one right now and going to be playing around with it..

what mobo are you using? I am downloading the strix x570-e one right now and going to be playing around with it..

Crosshairs v8 WiFi, I checked yesterday it wasn’t there on the page. It was beta bios i downloaded last week. So I just want back to the last one.

Crosshairs v8 WiFi, I checked yesterday it wasn’t there on the page. It was beta bios i downloaded last week. So I just want back to the last one.
They updated it today.. at least for the strix x570-e.. I am having trouble getting the same performance I had with the prior bios... didn't want to keep playing around and also went back to the prior bios.. I'll wait until its not deemed "beta" anymore..

They updated it today.. at least for the strix x570-e.. I am having trouble getting the same performance I had with the prior bios... didn't want to keep playing around and also went back to the prior bios.. I'll wait until its not deemed "beta" anymore..

Yea checked mine too. It’s a higher version then previous beta I think. But I will wait for final one. Don’t trust the beta portion. Last one was really stable. I had random USB ports and where keyboard and mouse will stop working. So I went back to the previous version and have had 0 issues since. I couldn’t tell if my computer froze or USB ports Werner working but keyboard lights were off. Will wait until they have final version

I was going to say, I was pretty sure it was on there earlier because I just installed the beta late last week on my CH8 WiFi. I was kinda worried about installing a beta bios dated December 24, but so far I haven't had issues. Hopefully they release a non-beta version soon.

This drastic change in L3 cache happens with me by disabling/enabling PBO. With it off it's similar to the before, with it on it's similar to the after. So maybe PBO was activated after a BIOS update

Ill check, im swapping out a gpu for testing today so ill see if it got switched back on. I lock the clocks to 4.6 but pbo might be defaulted in some other settings when bios reset. Took pics of all my bios settings before so they should be identical but pbo could have been a hidden dropdown. Msi has like 100 of them in their very thorough bios. Honestly msi might make my favorite bios out of all mobo vendors. Doubling the l3 is pretty rediculous.

C7H got an update as well. Probably wait until it's not Beta and give it a go.

Looks like Asus has a new Beta BIOS out for the Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi:

Version 3102 Beta Version
2021/01/06 20.38 MBytes
ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO(WI-FI) BIOS 3102
Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.9.0.
Improve ReSize Bar function
Improve RAID function
Improve system performance and compatibility

https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/motherbo...rosshair-viii-hero-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_bios/
waiting still a non-Beta release, too many nightmares with BIOS releases on my setup previously w/ a 3950X... not sure what's going on but the 5950X has been fine with the current stable release at least... it's like they prioritized Zen 3 testing or something

Does 1.0.8.0 or 1.1.9.0 or newer benefit Zen 2 processors at all?

Back