AMD and NVIDIA Reveal Plans to Lower the Impact of Tariffs on Video Cards

If they'd stop having their cards made in another country, they wouldn't have to pay the tarriffs! But who are we kidding,they aren't going to "pay" anything as they'll just shift the cost to us the consumers like they always do.

FIFY

A temporary price increase of around 10% won't hurt much compared to the 300% price increase we saw due to crypto-mining. And once the manufacturers move to countries that are not stealing our IP and run by despotic communists, we will all be better for it.

Then the US is out too.

I'm glad some people understand who is actually paying the tariff, because there is a certain population that seems to think the US government is taxing foreign nations and that it's free money.

one suggestion i have seen to help combat the ignorance of it is to have walmart, or any store really, have a separate line item on the receipt showing IMPORT TARIFF TAX

to help drive home the point of WHO is paying for said tariff.

I'm glad some people understand who is actually paying the tariff, because there is a certain population that seems to think the US government is taxing foreign nations and that it's free money.
No one thinks that. Jesus christ.

This will damage China by moving production away from them. They will remove their tariffs, or be damaged.... When they do remove their own tariffs, our nation benefits.

Not a single person thinks what you imply. You seem to listen to the insane depiction of oppositional views that are told to you by your own side, instead of venturing outside of your bubble and having a real discussion with those you disagree with.

FIFY

A temporary price increase of around 10% won't hurt much compared to the 300% price increase we saw due to crypto-mining. And once the manufacturers move to countries that are not stealing our IP and run by despotic communists, we will all be better for it.

I rarely agree with Trump and his self congratulatory rhetoric but he's spot on for pressuring China in this instance. Hopefully he doesn't back off due to political pressure or personal gain.

I rarely agree with Trump and his self congratulatory rhetoric but he's spot on for pressuring China in this instance. Hopefully he doesn't back off due to political pressure or personal gain.

I don't think there's a lot of disagreement about issues with China and its trading and economic practices being iffy. The problem with tariffs in such a developed and global economy is that it's difficult to assert targeted pressure points with tons of side effects that artificially create winners and losers. In other words tariffs are like any other tax but with larger scale.

Bottom line for most consumers, enjoy higher prices and hope this leads to something which is unlikely. This is one area of economic policy were conservative thought is accurate.

I don't think there's a lot of disagreement about issues with China and its trading and economic practices being iffy. The problem with tariffs in such a developed and global economy is that it's difficult to assert targeted pressure points with tons of side effects that artificially create winners and losers. In other words tariffs are like any other tax but with larger scale.

Bottom line for most consumers, enjoy higher prices and hope this leads to something which is unlikely. This is one area of economic policy were conservative thought is accurate.

What I'm looking to get out of Trump pressuring China is the following:

1. Factories moving to other countries (e.g. Mexico/India/Pakistan/Vietnam/Taiwan) so we're less dependent on China.
2. China being pressured into no longer demanding IP from Western companies who do business there.
3. China lowering trade barriers for Western companies.

GPU manufacturers are already doing #1 so at least it's somewhat working.

If it was only china. The megalomania in his personality prevents him from targeting one thing at a time so he wants to start a "world trade war" - textbook narcissism. I'll give him a ton of credit for his treatment of the supreme court issue over the last week, but doesn't that also raise questions? He doesn't seem to be an idiot and most moves are intentional to feed the frenzy...

Back