AMD and Intel motherboard prices skyrocket past surging inflation rates thanks to 35-40% ASP increases

I recently upgraded my entire system for the first time in over a decade. The motherboard prices were definitely eye opening, but look at the amount of features you get nowadays and it makes sense. I went with a Asrock X670E Pro RS. It has all I need, has been rock solid and waaaaay cheaper than some of those other boards out there at "only" $280.

My mind has been blown just by the amount of options I have in the BIOS. =D

I recently upgraded my entire system for the first time in over a decade. The motherboard prices were definitely eye opening, but look at the amount of features you get nowadays and it makes sense. I went with a Asrock X670E Pro RS. It has all I need, has been rock solid and waaaaay cheaper than some of those other boards out there at "only" $280.

My mind has been blown just by the amount of options I have in the BIOS. =D
what did you get on it that didn't come on motherboards 15-20 yrs ago at a fraction of the price. I remember in the AMD socket 939 days the best board you could get was asus a8n32sli-deluxe and it was going for $200. (i know because i had one) and yeah it is actually a lot longer ago than it seems to me but the only thing that didn't have which some newer boards have is wifi but that doesn't add $800 to the cost.

i mean, if you're coming from commercial pre built computer, then yeah you got more bios options but it's always been like that. i think they just continue to price gouge because people keep buying up whatever they put out at whatever price.

what did you get on it that didn't come on motherboards 15-20 yrs ago at a fraction of the price. I remember in the AMD socket 939 days the best board you could get was asus a8n32sli-deluxe and it was going for $200. (i know because i had one) and yeah it is actually a lot longer ago than it seems to me but the only thing that didn't have which some newer boards have is wifi but that doesn't add $800 to the cost.

i mean, if you're coming from commercial pre built computer, then yeah you got more bios options but it's always been like that. i think they just continue to price gouge because people keep buying up whatever they put out at whatever price.

In all fairness I don’t think they were built to supply 350w to a CPU and have 12oz of aluminum spray painted to look cool with RGB all over the place 😂.

In all fairness I don’t think they were built to supply 350w to a CPU and have 12oz of aluminum spray painted to look cool with RGB all over the place 😂.

scrap al.jpg

and who needs RGB when you got UV? :blackalien:

uv1.jpg

uv2.jpg

uv3.jpg

Last edited:
My brain is not good enough to do the math,
With the USD dollar gained a lot of relative value versus the Euro
November 2020: 1.1963 usd for each Euro
Today: 1.0865

I would imagine it could participate in that price rise.

So the reason why motherboards are so high is because the average selling price (ASP) of motherboards is higher... wow.
I mean I guess it's nice that we can say it's not due to inflation, but who really thought it was?

Motherboard prices is why I haven't upgraded my CPU. More important things going on right now.

Agreed. I went with a Ryzen 5700 as a side grade. Still planning on a new motherboard/platform later this year. AMD CPU prices have gone up but seem to be coming down a bit. I almost feel like I should have went to a 5800x3D and pushed the platform upgrade down the road another year or so. But I do want a new motherboard so I can use two NVMe PCI SSDs at full speed.

DFI LAN Party boards used to have the cool fluorescent boards under UV light as I recall. That was a cool pre-RGB feature back when having a cool PC really mattered because you actually brought it with you out of the house.
Yes, this was very much a thing. Bright yellow PCI/PCIE slots and yellow/orange (IIRC?) DIMM slots that did glow brightly under UV... God, I miss DFI...

Back