AMD Amends Wafer Supply Agreement with GlobalFoudries: To Buy Wafers Till 2021

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by _mockingbird, Jan 30, 2019.

1. _mockingbird

_mockingbird Gawd

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1391...th-globalfoudries-set-to-buy-wafers-till-2021

2. deton8

deton8 Limp Gawd

I'm probably misunderstanding, but is this GloFo still getting money even though they can't fulfill 7nm purely due to contractual arrangements? Must be nice to even make money for screwing up...

3. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

Looks to me like AMD will just be getting 12 and 14nm wafers from GloFo, with 7nm going to TSMC.

I'm sure that there will be plenty of volume for the 12 and 14nm for the next few years as a bunch of embedded stuff has a much longer life before it stops being produced.

4. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

Also the IO chip for Ryzen 2 is produced at global foundries on 14nm process. This should satisfy the wafer volume requirement.

5. _mockingbird

_mockingbird Gawd

Also, AMD can keep using 12nm/14nm for its budget processors and video cards, as well as chipsets.

For example, there's no reason why AMD's $99 4C/4T processor needs to be on the latest and greatest node.

Legendary Gamer and DooKey like this.
  6. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

The new APUs for laptops are scheduled for 12nm so that should satisfy the agreement also. To begin with Global Foundries did not have the capacity for AMD's expansion that is coming for all the product lines.

7. _mockingbird

_mockingbird Gawd

They will also be used for desktops too.

The new 7nm Zen 2 will probably be limited to the new 6-core Ryzen 5 and above.

8. trick0502

trick0502 [H]ardness Supreme

I really think amd moving off of GF will be big. Amd has missed clock speeds on just about every high end product released on GF. Now we get to see what kind of dies amd can produce from a real foundry.

9. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Excited about the next iteration of Ryzen APUs from AMD...!

VERY excited about possible 7nm APUs...!!

APUs are the future...!!!

10. trick0502

trick0502 [H]ardness Supreme

The future of consoles

11. Algrim

Algrim [H]ard|Gawd

When my wife and I bought our motherboards a few years ago the fact that the Intel chips had iGPUs in them meant we didn't have to immediately buy the graphics cards which meant we could wait until the Polaris and Pascal cards came out. Up until recently, those considering the Ryzen platform had no such option. Now they do. (y)