AMD Allegedly Has 200,000 Radeon RX 7900 Series GPUs for Launch Day

Does anyone know if AMD actually allocated more production to 7900 xtx or if there are so many of those chips with issues they had to sell them as 7900 XTs?

I ask because what is the point sending so many more 7900 XTs when the cost is almost the same for less performance?

The 4090 sells more than the 4080, even if they both had equal stock. The 16 core zen 4 sold more than the lower versions.

The top tier version sells more, and AMD is shipping more of the lower version. Why does this make sense? Or is that all they have?

I feel like nvidia had a real good 4090 launch with actual stock versus the 7900xtx. My friend managing a local computer store has mentioned no access to any stock since launch whereas he had at least a few dozen 4090s the day before launch, and had them trickle in near daily for a week.

Does anyone know if AMD actually allocated more production to 7900 xtx or if there are so many of those chips with issues they had to sell them as 7900 XTs?

I ask because what is the point sending so many more 7900 XTs when the cost is almost the same for less performance?

The 4090 sells more than the 4080, even if they both had equal stock. The 16 core zen 4 sold more than the lower versions.

The top tier version sells more, and AMD is shipping more of the lower version. Why does this make sense? Or is that all they have?
I am guessing that all the 7900 XTXs are golden samples with better power performance than the 7900 XT

Otherwise it makes no sense

I am guessing that all the 7900 XTXs are golden samples with better power performance than the 7900 XT

Otherwise it makes no sense
That still doesn't make sense to me. They apparently shipped equal numbers of XTs and XTXs (to the UK at least), so they should have priced them to sell in equal numbers, and yet the actual prices will obviously sell more XTXs than XTs.

That still doesn't make sense to me. They apparently shipped equal numbers of XTs and XTXs (to the UK at least), so they should have priced them to sell in equal numbers, and yet the actual prices will obviously sell more XTXs than XTs.
The pricing made it look like the xt would be a rare affair that make the xtx look really good, it could be that they planned much better yield than achieved and will sound reverse once it get more mature.

Exactly. The 6800xt /6900xt situation is something they aren’t looking to repeat maybe? I got my 6800xt for $600 back when the 6900xt was a grand or more and that kind of price gap made it an easy call vs the performance gap. I’d be completely happy with the xt for 700. I can wait.

Last edited:
Sony, MS consoles?
Cars? I hear folks screaming about car waits and prices every day like food/gas. Only thing on time is fentanyl and of course interest hikes!
Can't speak to consoles, I am a PC gamer.

Cars, yes. I can place my order and get on a list. I might get my vehicle in a day, or in a year, but either way I don't have to be checking discord servers and store websites and twitter feeds daily for months on end in hopes of striking gold. I place my order, get a projected date, then move on with life.

If Apple could do this years ago with hundreds of millions of devices built and sold yearly, surely nVidia and AMD could use their impressive technical expertise to invent something like a "purchase queue" ?

So much for 200k units. Already out of stock everywhere. I don’t know if it is scalpers, bots, or AMD lied. It is an unreal world we are living in now.
I got a 7900 XTX from AMD.COM 2 days after release. Just randomly logging in. They have stock, but they sell immediately.

Quick look on Amazon and Ebay shows that the scalped 7900 XTX's are going down in price from their over $2k to now $1.5 or even less. I'm seeing scalpers sell them for even $1,200. The 7900 XT's are plentiful on Amazon and you hardly see them scalped on Ebay. I've seen some go for $1.5 like the XTX, but those are few. I'm guessing now the scalpers realized they made a mistake.

Quick look on Amazon and Ebay shows that the scalped 7900 XTX's are going down in price from their over $2k to now $1.5 or even less. I'm seeing scalpers sell them for even $1,200. The 7900 XT's are plentiful on Amazon and you hardly see them scalped on Ebay. I've seen some go for $1.5 like the XTX, but those are few. I'm guessing now the scalpers realized they made a mistake.
https://www.amd.com/en/direct-buy/us
7900XT has been in stock regularly here too. XTX is almost in stock daily too (before it is all bought up)

I don’t even see the reference 7900 xtx listed on AMD site anymore. I hope this is not it as far as their stock goes.
If you get on one of the stock tacker discord servers, I use Falcodrin, the xtx goes in stock almost every day at amds site, and multiple other pings on amazon / newegg / bb etc.

Has anyone else been able to snag a reference XTX on a non-ebay site? right after launch, i saw XTX cards going in and out of stock on amd.com but wasnt fast enough. Havent seen any as of late. Wonder if drops are becoming smaller or less frequent.

Has anyone else been able to snag a reference XTX on a non-ebay site? right after launch, i saw XTX cards going in and out of stock on amd.com but wasnt fast enough. Havent seen any as of late. Wonder if drops are becoming smaller or less frequent.
Both? Right now AMD should be gearing up for their EPYC releases otherwise they are not going to have the supply for critical enterprise contracts in April/May when the biggest enterprise hits their end of Q4 beginning of Q1 which is when they start placing the big orders so it can eat up the remaining balance of their old budget and dip into the new budget to cover the spread.

I've seen the branded reference models pop up a few times on newegg the last couple of weeks and often stay up for an hour or two, I've also seen the gigabyte gaming a couple times and the asrock water cooled one was up for a couple days(not surprising since 4090s have been around for just a few hundred more than that model). Supply seems to be getting a bit better but still not good enough for me to bother getting serious about finding one.

7900XTX has appeared to be instock for an hour or so now on amd.com.

That's the longest i have seen it, and i placed an order that appears to have succeeded.

I recently snagged a reference PowerColor 7900 XTX on Amazon. Within two passes of a 3D Mark stress test, it throttles hard with a junction temp of 110C and the fans at 3000 rpm. PowerColor doesn't cover RMA shipping cost so back to Amazon it goes. This definitely leads me to believe that all the defective cards have not had a chance to cycle through yet.

I recently snagged a reference PowerColor 7900 XTX on Amazon. Within two passes of a 3D Mark stress test, it throttles hard with a junction temp of 110C and the fans at 3000 rpm. PowerColor doesn't cover RMA shipping cost so back to Amazon it goes. This definitely leads me to believe that all the defective cards have not had a chance to cycle through yet.
Well, there is also the chance that Amazon and the other 3'rd parties are just reboxing the returns, shrink-wrapping them, and reselling them as New. I mean they would have to go through the same RMA process and they don't want to pay either.

Well, there is also the chance that Amazon and the other 3'rd parties are just reboxing the returns, shrink-wrapping them, and reselling them as New. I mean they would have to go through the same RMA process and they don't want to pay either.
I can't rule that out but it certainly doesn't align with my understanding of how shipped and sold by Amazon returns work. I think it is more likely that some problematic reference partner cards are still trickling through various retailers.

I am betting AMD is hoping people just run them and don't notice the 110c junction temps, and if they do they will just RMA and replace. I bet they don't even know exactly which batches are affected. MSI AIOs had this issue, enermax had this issue, VW had this issue on many vehicles, so did other car manufacturers. Unfortunately this is the new normal in a world of part constraints and QC issues where the end user is the beta tester.

I am betting AMD is hoping people just run them and don't notice the 110c junction temps, and if they do they will just RMA and replace. I bet they don't even know exactly which batches are affected. MSI AIOs had this issue, enermax had this issue, VW had this issue on many vehicles, so did other car manufacturers. Unfortunately this is the new normal in a world of part constraints and QC issues where the end user is the beta tester.
This seriously wouldn't surprise me in the least.

This seriously wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Parts get more complex, tolerances get tighter, QC failures get more nuanced and harder to account for while being more impactful because of how tight the tolerances are. Lowest bidder manufacturing hasn't managed to keep pace with the technical needs for a lot of things and the cracks are starting to show.

Internet conjecture wins again without any basis. Congrads.
Yeah, it's not like someone just posted having the same problem that's at the heart of the still current issue with a brand new card 6 posts before yours. How silly of us to come to what is at this point an obvious conclusion.

You heard it here, boys. AMD doesn't have an issue, nothing to see here, move along now.

Yeah, it's not like someone just posted having the same problem that's at the heart of the still current issue with a brand new card 6 posts before yours. How silly of us to come to what is at this point an obvious conclusion.

You heard it here, boys. AMD doesn't have an issue, nothing to see here, move along now.
Yep ONE person reported an issue, What an obvious conclusion. Not like a vendor could have missed a stock pull for a card. Or even several. Its apparent you have never worked in a retail environment. The conspiracy theory lives on. Please keep promoting it because it sounds good.

Last edited:
Yep ONE person reported an issue, What an obvious conclusion. Not like a vendor could have missed a stock pull for a card. Or even several. Its apparent you have never worked in a retail environment. The conspiracy theory lives on. Please keep promoting it because it sounds good.
Funny enough, I have worked retail. And returning products back onto the sales floor even when a defect is found is not uncommon, in fact it's an every day practice. But hey, keep burring your head in the sand and giving AMD another pass.

Funny enough, I have worked retail. And returning products back onto the sales floor even when a defect is found is not uncommon, in fact it's an every day practice. But hey, keep burring your head in the sand and giving AMD another pass.

Its a local store stocking issue, thanks for verifying.

Back