AMD Allegedly Has 200,000 Radeon RX 7900 Series GPUs for Launch Day

It took Nvidia about 2 weeks to sell that many 4090s, there is enough demand for a top-end AMD card that I suspect them to be able to do the same, the real question I have is how many are going to get scooped up by bots and marked up to be on par with the 4080?
Everybody knows the 4080 is too expensive, but scalpers have to do something to compensate for their 4080 losses, and scooping up the 7900xtx supply and putting it on par with the 4080 would about do that. There are after all only 200k of them worldwide, not an insurmountable feat for a coordinated group.

Good luck selling half that.
If a giant 5% of them end up in American phyiscal best buy locations, thats just 10 card by store, during Christmas holiday, store does not have high end cards from older generation anymore, 4080 are quite expensive.

I could see them being ........ hard to get for the popular model near MSRP if they exist, specially for non American.

So much for 200k units. Already out of stock everywhere. I don’t know if it is scalpers, bots, or AMD lied. It is an unreal world we are living in now.

So much for 200k units. Already out of stock everywhere. I don’t know if it is scalpers, bots, or AMD lied. It is an unreal world we are living in now.
200k units split amongst themselves and their AIBs for a world wide launch really isn’t a lot and divide that up amongst online and in store supply and you quickly realize that’s only like 2-3 cards per outlet, assuming they all already shipped and none of the AIBs are holding them back.

Very few AIB models on launch it seem

Bestbuy had only 3 different xtx on their website, 2 gigabyte, XFX
newegg only 4 xt and 3 xtx

Not sure how we can conclude about so much, considering how aggressive the pricing seem to have been a least on the US side, would it not be out of stock everywhere (at least online) even if they had 500k of them ? Some people got a xtx for $810 on bestbuy this morning

Definitely global but at least half of them should be in the USA right? We have the largest consumers base and affordability
Canadian store availability seem to be really thin:
https://www.canadacomputers.com/search/results_details.php?language=en&keywords=7900xtx
Even bestbuy
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=7900xtx

Memory had some but only xfx/gigabyte, no saphire, asus, asrock, powercolor, etc...
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Search/Products?Search=7900xt

I think it was 200K for the whole of Q4. I think i saw something for 30k on launch.

I woke up early, trying to pick one up. And even all the bundles were sold out on AMD site. I feel it is the scalpers. I hate them!

The 4090 only had 100k units so this is pretty good I guess.

Depending what people mean by Q4 there is not 3 week left
i heard somewhere the bulk would come next week and into xmas. not launch. but it is all rumors and conjecture at this point. i do think this "launch" left a lot to be desired.

Depending what people mean by Q4 there is not 3 week left

It is before mid-january when the chinese factories shut down for Chinese new year.

Btw, MLID leaks that majority of the 200k would be XT versions rather than the XTX

Not sure how we can conclude about so much, considering how aggressive the pricing seem to have been a least on the US side, would it not be out of stock everywhere (at least online) even if they had 500k of them ? Some people got a xtx for $810 on bestbuy this morning

Who? Where? How? The MSRP is $1k.

I can buy a toy or child's clothes from Target and if it's on backorder or out of stock, they will take my order, add me to a queue and ship when it's available.

I can buy a lens from a camera store, a newly released iPhone from Apple, or a $80,000 vehicle from whomever and if it's on backorder or out of stock, they will take my order, add me to a queue and ship when it's available.

There are virtually no products in my life that, if in short supply, I cannot opt to order, be added to a queue, and be given a reasonably accurate date for when it will ship to me.

Individual Etsy sellers can do this!

All the world can do it... except for nVidia and AMD.

Incompetent idiots.

I can buy a toy or child's clothes from Target and if it's on backorder or out of stock, they will take my order, add me to a queue and ship when it's available.

I can buy a lens from a camera store, a newly released iPhone from Apple, or a $80,000 vehicle from whomever and if it's on backorder or out of stock, they will take my order, add me to a queue and ship when it's available.

There are virtually no products in my life that, if in short supply, I cannot opt to order, be added to a queue, and be given a reasonably accurate date for when it will ship to me.

Incompetent idiots.
This is by design, artificial scarcity steers spending, and boosts stock prices. The fact they can make a product and have people lining up around the block basically begging them to take their $1000 + gets their investors hard, and top executives get bonuses for it.

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft ?

People accept 1 year of waiting on a special car, the wait list on a 3080 if I look at how long it took on the EVGA notification system to take a response would have been a bit nuts.

Canada got next to none, and the ones in stock are well over $2000
brokerage fees are stupid right now for electronics up here right now take US MSRP and double it and thats where we are at

Incompetent idiots.
Sony, MS consoles?
Cars? I hear folks screaming about car waits and prices every day like food/gas. Only thing on time is fentanyl and of course interest hikes!

Last edited:
Just quoting. AMD reference only on launch.
How many 4090's are you thinking are about to drop in Q4?

I am not sure why the big focus about Q4 there just 2 week left to this quarter. Yes there a difference between launch day and 17-18 days, just not necessarily that big.
Okay. So should not drop the majority of your cards before X-Mas then?

For the people bitching about stock, did it ever occur to you that probably half or more of the available inventory went to system builders? What you've seen sold and selling retail is far from the whole of the stock.

For the people bitching about stock, did it ever occur to you that probably half or more of the available inventory went to system builders? What you've seen sold and selling retail is far from the whole of the stock.
When I look I can see buying a cards as a private customer leads to "Not in stock", but I can order from system builders just fine so your assertion seem spot on.

Canada got next to none, and the ones in stock are well over $2000
OCUK got over 1000 units, about half XTs, half XTXs; nearly all were reference models (rebranded by AIBs). That's just a single reseller in the UK who makes up about 1/4 of the market, so extrapolating UK would have gotten around 4000 units. Taking that further, I'm guessing European market got around 20-25k units going from country-by-country allocations from prior launches.

The XTXs were sold out in 2 minutes here, XTs mostly sold out by end of the day. Most were at, or just over, MSRP (at least the reference cards) which I'm sure has resellers thinking they should price higher. AIB designs were priced significantly higher. Cards were, as is recent tradition, up on Ebay from scalpers for a 40% mark up within half an hour after launch :rolleyes:

Reports are there's another big shipment reaching retailers end of next week. 200k units globally by end of the year is totally possible.

Last edited:
Reports are there's another big shipment reaching retailers end of next week. 200k units globally by end of the year is totally possible.
If the Euros got 25k units (the rumors where of 30k for euro+middle east with germany getting a good amount of them), 200k unit at launch is totally possible.

Middle east-Asia pacific, half to the north Americas and you are pretty much there.

Okay. So should not drop the majority of your cards before X-Mas then?
I am not sure why one would not drop 100% of the card they have (and I imagine they did), I am not sure I understand the question, I was just pointing out that saying 200K in 2022 when we are December 15 is obviously a good precision but not that big of one.

AMD had another decent size drop on the day after launch and it sounds like they had another drop this morning though I'm not sure how big it was. I also think it's likely that we'll see AIB cards available by the end of the month with reviews already trickling out.

I'm waiting for the some of the AIB cards since it sounds like the reference cooler is a bit loud and some of these non-reference cards are overclocking so well. So far I like the Nitro and TUF cards, Taichi is too expensive, Merc is too loud, and it's a bit silly but I don't like the looks of the Red Devil though I might reconsider if the weird looking backplate is just an optional cover(it appears to be separate in some of the box contents photos).

AMD had another decent size drop on the day after launch and it sounds like they had another drop this morning though I'm not sure how big it was. I also think it's likely that we'll see AIB cards available by the end of the month with reviews already trickling out.

I'm waiting for the some of the AIB cards since it sounds like the reference cooler is a bit loud and some of these non-reference cards are overclocking so well. So far I like the Nitro and TUF cards, Taichi is too expensive, Merc is too loud, and it's a bit silly but I don't like the looks of the Red Devil though I might reconsider if the weird looking backplate is just an optional cover(it appears to be separate in some of the box contents photos).
Looks like it was a drop of 7900 xt.
1671161959410.png

Back