AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0

fightingfi

2[H]4U
So the new AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0 is out and see this is ava now.
  • Optimized and support AMD Ryzen 5000 series processors.
  • Optimized Resizable BAR (Re-Size BAR) function with NVidia Graphics cards.
  • Improved AM4 processor compatibility
My Question is the re-size bar and nvidia, i own teh 2070 rtx what if any benefit does this have or what does it do and should i use it?

My Question is the re-size bar and nvidia, i own teh 2070 rtx what if any benefit does this have or what does it do and should i use it?
For what it is worth, my MSI TRX40 Pro WiFi motherboard with Beta bios with Re-Size BAR enabled makes virtually zero difference with EVGA 3090 XC3 Ultra. I think Nvidia has to release that support in their drivers. Not sure when that will happen.

You will need a vbios update from NVIDIA to use the features. Which I think is slated for next month or March supposedly.

You will need a vbios update from NVIDIA to use the features. Which I think is slated for next month or March supposedly.

From what I read on Nvidia news, the updated drivers that support resizable bar will be released alongside the 3060, which I think is slated for the end of February. I didn't see any mention of a vBIOS update requirement but it does appear to be only for the 30-series of GPUs.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/

They did say a vBIOS update would be required, which kinda sucks. Hopefully AIBs get on that sooner rather than later.

From what I read on Nvidia news, the updated drivers that support resizable bar will be released alongside the 3060, which I think is slated for the end of February. I didn't see any mention of a vBIOS update requirement but it does appear to be only for the 30-series of GPUs.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/

Says right in the article:

NVIDIA and our GPU partners are also readying VBIOS updates for existing GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards starting in March.

If you're ready to fall asleep... PCI Base Address Registers are used to communicate between the card, the system firmware, and the OS what physical memory (or I/O) address the card's resources start at (base address) and how big the address range is. Before resizable BAR, the card picks a size, and the firmware picks a base address, but if the size is too big, it can be hard to fit all the cards and memory into the available space (especially if you're in the dark ages and running 32-bit). Resizable BAR lets the card and firmware/os communicate to start with a reasonable default, but open up a larger region, if everything agrees.

This can be useful, because graphics cards have like 12GB of ram these days, and BARs were set at 256 MB or maybe 512 MB; so writing to gpu ram would need to go through some sort of page mapping. With resizable BAR, you can address all (or more) of the ram without needing to do so much mapping. From what I saw in articles when this launched, for most games it didn't make a difference in actual use, but some games saw differences in either direction. I didn't see any good details on what the underlying factors were; but I can speculate based on system tuning experience (not GPU tuning though). For games that got a perf boost, I suspect they were spending a lot of time managing the GPU memory mapping, to access lots of different areas; now they don't have to do that and it speeds things up. For games that lost perf, I suspect they've got access patterns where using more GPU memory addresses directly is pushing stuff out of the caches (cpu or gpu?). For actively developed games and engines, I would expect patches to at least get perf equal, if not better, to come in over time, as more people get hardware that supports it. Maybe even driver settings per game, if needed.

Beta version working here but lost 66mhz fclk.
Bios notepad.png

anybody updated to bios w/ agesa 1.2.0.0? I have a ASUS TUF X570-plus which has Version 3402 bios available but i'm still on 1407 because seems like ever since then people have complaining about one thing or another so i've been just sticking with what works.

edit: just found this on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/kxl8zs/tuf_gaming_x570_plus_new_bios_3402/ see that's why i'm afraid to update the bios on this board. everything is stable and i have my 3200 mhz micron e-die ram OC'd to 3600 using Ryzen DRAM calc settings and it's rock solid. Only thing i don't like is my voltage seems high and temps jump all over the place, but i've read a lot of people that say theirs is the same way.

Last edited:
I updated my X570 Taichi with AGESA 1.2.0.0
The bios update itself added some useful features when it comes to fan tuning, and my CPU usage/temps seems to have leveled out instead of being constant spikes - but thus far i'm not seeing any real change when it comes to performance or anything. I'm about 50 points higher in Cinebench R20, but that doesn't mean anything. (As I usually have over a 50 point variance anyway.)

Of course, i've also only been using and testing it for about an hour.

Edit: With some more testing, resetting my undervolt and retuning my fan curves, it looks to be a consistent 300-400 points higher in cinebench R20, and the temp seems to be lower more consistently with less temperature spikes.

Overall i'd call this an improvement. I'll see how it handles after it runs for a while.

Edit: I should note that I updated from AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.0.0.2
So it's been a while.

Last edited:
anybody updated to bios w/ agesa 1.2.0.0? I have a ASUS TUF X570-plus which has Version 3402 bios available but i'm still on 1407 because seems like ever since then people have complaining about one thing or another so i've been just sticking with what works.

edit: just found this on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/kxl8zs/tuf_gaming_x570_plus_new_bios_3402/ see that's why i'm afraid to update the bios on this board. everything is stable and i have my 3200 mhz micron e-die ram OC'd to 3600 using Ryzen DRAM calc settings and it's rock solid. Only thing i don't like is my voltage seems high and temps jump all over the place, but i've read a lot of people that say theirs is the same way.

I upgraded my Dark Hero to 3204 which is AGESA 1.2.0.0. Everything working great here.

is that feature still on the board for keeping single boost and multi boost like in the Der8uaer video?

nice ill have to do a update soon still waiting for a 5950x to become available that doesnt cost $1600.

Be patient you'll need to. Anyone currently testing SAM option other than standard benchmarks? Just did for a bit on some older games I still play and seems like it really helps single threaded games with frame time consistency. Hitching is virtually eliminated. Some of the less optimized game engines may benefit from SAM. Placebo maybe. Maybe not. Thoughts and observations?

anyone test ARK Survival Evolved with Sam iv tried throwing many many cores at it. fast ram even a ram-disk big enough to fit it and mods on, doesn't see much improvement.

Shadowarez unless it's significantly changed, ARK is a very unoptimized game, so that doesn't surprise me much. It's probably bottlenecked by something in the code, rather than some piece of hardware.

damn well just means iv gone as far as i can on the hardware and will at least see minimum fps gains for when sht gets crazy in there with the effects and sheer number of particle effects onscreen.

is that feature still on the board for keeping single boost and multi boost like in the Der8uaer video?
can you link to the video or explain what you are talking about? i'm trying to decide if it's worth going through the hasle of trying to update. especially with all the horror stories of random reboots and unstable memory.

Just updated my MSI X570 Tomahawk to the Agesa 1.2.0.0 release - my 3800/1900 CL14 memory overclock isn't stable anymore. So far, not even at 3400...wtf

Edit: I missed a setting

Last edited:
Recheck all your settings carefully one of the updates for my ACE mismatched the fclk and memory a simple correction was all it took.

Overclocking AMD Ryzen just became INSANE at about the 4min mark is when he talks abou this feature. from what i gathered its the only board that offers this feature he talks about, having single boost and multi core boost enabled at same time. so when your gaming itll give you best single core oc but when your working and rendering itll boost your cores in a differnt way. why i hunted this board down like it owed me rent for months, i finally got one now i need a 5950x

Recheck all your settings carefully one of the updates for my ACE mismatched the fclk and memory a simple correction was all it took.

I figured it out, you are right I did miss one single setting. I have to use Geardown Mode for it to work properly, despite not wanting to use it. I can post 1T and do things throughout Windows for a while but the second I try to benchmark or stress it's insta blue screen. There goes an evening lol

Has there been anything in the last 2 Agesa updates that benefit the 3000 series chips at all? I can't seem to find anything on it.

No mention in the notes but it certainly helped my 3600XT boost quite a bit on a gigabutt mini itx I have.

Has there been anything in the last 2 Agesa updates that benefit the 3000 series chips at all? I can't seem to find anything on it.
I skipped all of 1.1.9.0 but 1.2.0.0 is helping my 3900x ramp up and down more smoothly.

More useful for me is that got rid of the previously "constant* temp and use spikes and now my processor actually operates at a temperature that's fairly consistent. Which makes monitoring way easier.

Before: spike up to 50, down to a little under 40, about every second - repeat.
Now it's just consistently around 42-44c at my typical use scenario.

Also I have about 300 higher Cinebench r20 score while maintaining my same undervolt, so that's nice, even if I haven't seen an actual change in day to day use.

I too updated my ROG Crosshair VIII Hero to version 3204 (with AGESA 1.2.0.0) about a little more than a week or so ago. No problems here (even though I am only running a Ryzen 7 3700X CPU with it). All is well. Out!

I skipped all of 1.1.9.0 but 1.2.0.0 is helping my 3900x ramp up and down more smoothly.

More useful for me is that got rid of the previously "constant* temp and use spikes and now my processor actually operates at a temperature that's fairly consistent. Which makes monitoring way easier.

Before: spike up to 50, down to a little under 40, about every second - repeat.
Now it's just consistently around 42-44c at my typical use scenario.

Also I have about 300 higher Cinebench r20 score while maintaining my same undervolt, so that's nice, even if I haven't seen an actual change in day to day use.
This sounds like I should upgrade then maybe. Any news on when the next upgrade is coming out? I don't want to update my BIOS very often.

Just updated my B450 Tomahawk to (MS-7C02) V1.H3 beta bios and was pleasantly surprised to find pbo v2 including curve optimizer fully functional. Bumped my 5600X cinebench score up by 200 points.

i havent updated my DH yet from its stock agesa bios do i have to do these in steps? like i did with my B450 Asrock itx?

ahh thank you ill put her on the Test bench tonight and see what happens, ill have to read carefully though i may not be able to use my 3200g after the update.

First: fuck these AGESA names are confusing.

But I went from 1.0.0.2 combo v2* (asrock x570 3.20 patch, july 2020) directly to 1.2.0.0 (4.0 patch, January 2021) with zero hiccups.

*Which was the patch after 1.0.0.4, apparently?

Back