AMD admits to restraining chip supply to keep higher CPU and GPU prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then we have the issue of increased cost of silicon pricing because not made in third world nation? because rules, regulations, and all that rot too?

At least you aren't at the mercy of a global chip shortage due to itchy trigger fingers in mainland China. As far as I can tell, almost all of their fabs are in Taiwan with the exception of a few in mainland China.

Are Epyc sales flattening Intel's face that badly they must resort to this smearing?

Calm down, Intel has a huge glut of good cheap CPUs and AMD has already cut their CPU prices by a lot. It's a great time for CPUs. As far as GPUs - the 4k tier is expensive, yes but 1080p / 1440 is viable and more affordable than ever.
Thats not the point?

May after intel can get their own shit together first. Intel is even uses TSMC. I doubt this happens in my liftime.
I would rather expect the contrary - if Intel foundry business cannot get their act together at some point their fabs may be be spun off. I don't know how many more misses they can swing before corporate beancounters decide it is enough.

And then AMD could use Intel fabs for I/O chiplets or cache or whatever doesn't scale with smaller process nodes.

Last edited:
I would rather expect the contrary - if Intel foundry business cannot get their act together at some point their may be be spun off. I don't know how many more misses they can swing before corporate beancounters decide it is enough.

And then AMD could use Intel fabs for I/O chiplets or cache or whatever doesn't scale with smaller process nodes.
We here at AMD would like to announce that our great and worthy opponent Intel, will now be manufacturing a chiplet for our Ryzen processors, which makes your thumbdrives and SSD's work! lol

I would rather expect the contrary - if Intel foundry business cannot get their act together at some point their may be be spun off. I don't know how many more misses they can swing before corporate beancounters decide it is enough.

I actually think it’s going to be the other way around. I’m thinking by 2030 Intel Foundry Services are going to be worth more than the rest of Intel. There are an absolute crap ton of fabs out there running nodes way larger than 16nm that are much more expensive than Intel can do it for. Intel is going after them now, with shrinking desktop demand and increasing yields Intel has more manufacturing capacity than it can fill so foundries go under utilized and they are aiming to fix that. By not only opening up their older nodes but also their new ones to 3’rd parties they are stepping into what is now a far larger market than x86 currently is.

x86 Desktop and Laptop shipments shrink ever year, Datacenter now has ARM and AMD options and GPU’s are more important than ever for specialized compute be it AI or other. Super Computer projects that used to call for 100,000 CPU’s now call for 25,000 CPUs and 75,000 GPU and with ARM and AMD where they are Intel isn’t even guaranteed those anymore.

Intel must expand to new markets and getting rid of their fabs would rob them of that.

1230 CAN = 905 USD. Not that bad.
Due to some ill conceived “environmental” laws in Canada our government has made it nearly impossible to practically import electronics or anything from China.
They passed regulations that boats with a displacement greater than X was not allowed to traverse the inlets leading to the ports in Vancouver and Montreal. This effectively shut down the LNG projects that had environmentalists up in arms but also shut down the larger freighters from China. Needless to say the government’s instructions to shipping companies of “just send smaller boats” was as well received as you can expect so now those boats go to California and New York. Then get loaded into trucks and driven up adding the funderful US tariffs, then taxes and import fees ontop of those tariffs not to mention the extra costs in trucking them from New York to warehouses in Montreal or California to the Vancouver outskirts.

Our government at work people.

Due to some ill conceived “environmental” laws in Canada our government has made it nearly impossible to practically import electronics or anything from China.
They passed regulations that boats with a displacement greater than X was not allowed to traverse the inlets leading to the ports in Vancouver and Montreal. This effectively shut down the LNG projects that had environmentalists up in arms but also shut down the larger freighters from China. Needless to say the government’s instructions to shipping companies of “just send smaller boats” was as well received as you can expect so now those boats go to California and New York. Then get loaded into trucks and driven up adding the funderful US tariffs, then taxes and import fees ontop of those tariffs not to mention the extra costs in trucking them from New York to warehouses in Montreal or California to the Vancouver outskirts.

There might be a bigger issue with this than Canada (or any nation-state) is willing to admit to, thus the "environmental" cover works better than talking about cost.

There might be a bigger issue with this than Canada (or any nation-state) is willing to admit to, thus the "environmental" cover works better than talking about cost.

No the Environmental issue was a bunch of proposed LNG shipping facilities who would require the tankers to go through spawning grounds and the likes. If one of those had a serious issue in one of those spots it would be devastating for decades with no resources set in place to properly clean and repair the damage. Those claims were legit, it was a bad plan, I’m all for the LNG plants but their shipping and contingency plans were half baked and under funded.

Canada is just a terrible place for consumers in general, and all of our problems are self-induced. I’ll never forget reading that essay from a few professors at U of Ottawa complaining that we were bringing in bottles of hand sanitizer at the beginning of a global pandemic that didn’t have bilingual labelling, because apparently that’s the biggest concern at a time when everyone is desperate to get material that’s globally short during an international medical emergency. The result is we end up either overpaying for everything, or we don’t get access to every product we otherwise could.

Canada is just a terrible place for consumers in general, and all of our problems are self-induced. I’ll never forget reading that essay from a few professors at U of Ottawa complaining that we were bringing in bottles of hand sanitizer at the beginning of a global pandemic that didn’t have bilingual labelling, because apparently that’s the biggest concern at a time when everyone is desperate to get material that’s globally short during an international medical emergency. The result is we end up either overpaying for everything, or we don’t get access to every product we otherwise could.
Le squirtesé on handsevou

No the Environmental issue was a bunch of proposed LNG shipping facilities who would require the tankers to go through spawning grounds and the likes. If one of those had a serious issue in one of those spots it would be devastating for decades with no resources set in place to properly clean and repair the damage. Those claims were legit, it was a bad plan, I’m all for the LNG plants but their shipping and contingency plans were half baked and under funded.

The problem is you’ll always have an environmental impact on anything you do. Canada seems convinced it can single handedly hold down world emissions and save the planet by locking its resources, but the end result is we just export it elsewhere and Canadian consumers get the bill in terms of higher consumer prices and reduced national wealth with no net benefit to the planet. We shouldn’t really be paying much more, if any more, than American customers, but we’re our own worst enemy. Elevated GPU prices is one area where we get hit, but it’s not limited to that. The disparity between Canada and the US can be really quite insane, which the 7900 XT is now highlighting for all to see.

If anyone gave a crap about the environment then why is AMD selling new chips that still have Zen2 and Zen3, as well as RDNA2 and Vega graphics? Pretty clear that Zen4 and RDNA3 is more efficient, so why even waste manufacturing CO2 on those older designs? It's the same stupidity of shutting down the oil pipelines for the environment, but instead we move oil around with trucks in hopes that driving up gas prices will deter people from driving cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back