AMD Adds Netflix 4K Support

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Take your translator and check out Hardware Info if you are running AMD hardware, the latest 18.4.1 drivers and are a fan of Netflix. You can now get all that 4K goodness on your PC, if you have 4K display of course. There are a couple of hoops to jump through however. If I mentioned Microsoft Edge, would that make you wince? Thanks cageymaru.

As requirements for Netflix in ultra-high-resolution on the PC, the support for PlayReady 3.0 includes Microsoft Edge as a browser, a connection to the monitor via the hdcp 2.2 protocol, an existing h265 decoder and a Netflix Premium subscription. . With the drm implementation PlayReady 3.0, theft of video material must be prevented.

Only in Edge? Not in the Netflix app? That's disappointing.

I'm guessing it works through the app as well as app and Edge use the same PlayReady 3.0 DRM I believe. The app has been a little quirky for me lately, for some reason playback will crash for me in the app on my sig rig at full screen, HD or UHD. However no such problem in Edge or the app on other devices.

I'll wait for AMD to put out the press release in English, instead of Dutch.

Then we wonn't be subject to Google Mistranslate.

This support was announced as coming months ago: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12442/amd-plans-playready-3-support-for-polaris-and-vega-gpus-in-2018. Easy enough to confirm. In Edge (yeah!) hold down Shift-Ctrl-Alt-D and you'll see the streaming metadata including the resolution, requires a 4k Netflix sub and 4k content obviously.

About time. I wonder how long Microsoft paid for browser exclusivity?

This isn't about the browser but the OS and all of the DRM that Netflix wants around this. I don't know what other DRM methods are out there would work as well or better for Netflix, content providers are very reticent to provide 4k content to PCs in the first place probably for fear of pirating. There's no reason why Chrome can't support PR 3.0 on Windows 10 if Google chose to do so.

About time. I wonder how long Microsoft paid for browser exclusivity?

It's not because Microsoft is paying them, it's because Edge is a Microsoft product, and the PlayReady 3.0 DRM is integrated into the Browsers and OS, supporting end to end DRM.

This is why Media Center was/is the only DVR software in Windows to support cable cards. Other software just couldn't guarantee the lever of DRM support required by the cable companies.

Normally I'd say something about edge and aids but it's already ore installed so how bad can it really be

It was pretty clear that the Intel Netflix 4k was a limited-time exclusive.
It was? <_> I totally didn't get that memo.... lol

Seriously though, I was totally under the impression that the only computers that could playback commercialized 4K content (Blu-ray, Netflix, etc) were Intel 7000 and newer CPUs, with their IGP, using Windows 10?? My understanding was that it was the Intel SGX hardware extension present in the CPU that was the "DRM" associated with allowing for 4K playback, and required a secure connection to the graphics processor, which was only possible using Intel's IGP. As such, regardless of whether any other installed hardware was capable of actually handling the playback of said content, it'd only work for that specific combination and so even people with a Ryzen processor were totally SOL when it came to ever expecting being able to watch Blu-rays in 4K on their computer.

The linked AnandTech article didn't clear anything up in that regard. Which considering the fact I just bought a USB BD-R drive and passed on bothering to consider the 4K-capable Pioneer drive for ~$20 more (well, +$70 when factoring in rebates), I'm a little bummed. heh As even all the comments and details on Pioneer's site all indicated needing Intel hardware, with no mention of even nVidia graphics.

So what am I missing, anyone able to fill me in? :confused:

Seriously though, I was totally under the impression that the only computers that could playback commercialized 4K content (Blu-ray, Netflix, etc) were Intel 7000 and newer CPUs, with their IGP, using Windows 10??

The requirements are different for Netflix and UHD BD. Netflix supports GPU 4k decoding as well as CPU 4k decoding with an Intel 7th gen CPU and above on Windows 10 1511 x64 and above via Edge and the Windows 10 Netflix app as well, at least when using Intel CPUs and nVidia GPUs, not sure about the app with AMD GPUs but I believe it should work with the app. 4k BD only works with PowerDVD 17 or higher using an Intel 7th gen CPU and above non U series, i.e. the low power mobile CPUs on Windows 10 1511 x64 and above.

Edge. Huh. Why?

Get it in Chrome and let's get it right.

That would require Chrome supporting PlayReady 3.0 which shouldn't be a problem if Google wants to. For all of the bashing of Edge, for video playback, really, what does it matter? It's not like you can't have Chrome, FF, IE and Edge all on the same machine. Edge is considerably better than it was when Windows 10 launched three years ago. Unless you're tied to Google's ecosystem fairly deeply, Edge and Chrome will work equally well for most. Edge is probably better on better and definitely better with touch and the UI generally a bit more responsive. Chrome clearly has the lead with extensions.

And it's kind of moot anyway when it comes to Netflix because most would probably prefer the app which does support for 4k.

That would require Chrome supporting PlayReady 3.0 which shouldn't be a problem if Google wants to. For all of the bashing of Edge, for video playback, really, what does it matter? It's not like you can't have Chrome, FF, IE and Edge all on the same machine. Edge is considerably better than it was when Windows 10 launched three years ago. Unless you're tied to Google's ecosystem fairly deeply, Edge and Chrome will work equally well for most. Edge is probably better on better and definitely better with touch and the UI generally a bit more responsive. Chrome clearly has the lead with extensions.

And it's kind of moot anyway when it comes to Netflix because most would probably prefer the app which does support for 4k.

Yeah good not bashing. I have been off IE since like 5. Chrome performance is just it. I know... Edge is by someone else and I hear is better than ie. Forced to use at work, Edge appears ok, but for compatibility and GPO, it's back to ie every time. Chrome 24/7 at home for years since.

Yeah good not bashing. I have been off IE since like 5. Chrome performance is just it. I know... Edge is by someone else and I hear is better than ie. Forced to use at work, Edge appears ok, but for compatibility and GPO, it's back to ie every time. Chrome 24/7 at home for years since.

Fair enough. It's just that this kind of DRM is very low level OS specific stuff and Google is probably never going to put any resources into supporting Windows only for a pretty esoteric feature. Google would just tell you to get a Chromecast.

At any rate the inflexibility of this stuff isn't Microsoft's fault, it's the content providers.

You missed the bus of confusion.

About 18 months ago, Netflix 4k was released only on Intel Kaby Lake. It was a paid excusive by Intel, because meeting the MPAA's standards for 4k streaming on a computer required a whole new mess of DRM compliance testing, and paying Netflix and Microsoft to upgrade their PC app.

About 12 months ago, Nvidia released Pascal drivers that were certified for 4k Netflix playback. They put in a bullshit limitation for 3GB ram or more to make the minimum price of entry the GTX 1050 Ti, even though the GT 1030 has perfectly-capable HDMI 2.0b port and 8K 10-bit HEVC acceleration just like the rest of Pascal.

And now AMD has released drivers for Vega and Polaris. Even the ones with just 2GB VRAM. Becuse 3GB ram is just a made-up number by Nvidia. GREAT FUCKING MOVE THERE, NVIDIA!

All these cards originally shipped with 4k HEVC playback and certified HDMI 2.0b ports. It's just been the cost of entry that's held things back, certifying 4k streaming on the minefield that is the PC. And based on the 6-month wait, you can guess how long the paid exclusive was for Intel.

You can use any of these cards for accelerated 4k playback of ripped files. The Netflix 4k certification is a clusterfuck of the highest order, and has just caused confusion on what video cards supported what playback :(

Last edited:
It was? <_> I totally didn't get that memo.... lol

Seriously though, I was totally under the impression that the only computers that could playback commercialized 4K content (Blu-ray, Netflix, etc) were Intel 7000 and newer CPUs, with their IGP, using Windows 10?? My understanding was that it was the Intel SGX hardware extension present in the CPU that was the "DRM" associated with allowing for 4K playback, and required a secure connection to the graphics processor, which was only possible using Intel's IGP. As such, regardless of whether any other installed hardware was capable of actually handling the playback of said content, it'd only work for that specific combination and so even people with a Ryzen processor were totally SOL when it came to ever expecting being able to watch Blu-rays in 4K on their computer.

The linked AnandTech article didn't clear anything up in that regard. Which considering the fact I just bought a USB BD-R drive and passed on bothering to consider the 4K-capable Pioneer drive for ~$20 more (well, +$70 when factoring in rebates), I'm a little bummed. heh As even all the comments and details on Pioneer's site all indicated needing Intel hardware, with no mention of even nVidia graphics.

netflix really hasn't updated their FAQ/help guide properly.. but right now it's intel 7k+ cpu's, nvidia GTX 1050TI+ (must have at least 4GB of vram) and now AMD is being added to that list.. nvidia quietly added support for it last year and never really marketed it which is why most people don't know those cards support it.

Thanks defaultluser. Clearly U B not that Dum! :pompous:

Sounds like par for the course with nVidia.... lol

nV bashing aside, I knew that general 4K content playback wasn't an issue for any system, at least outside of hardware physically limited by performance, like an Atom or something. So like YouTube and rips, most systems could handle fine. I even had a moment of curiosity on whether a RasPi could hook up to my USB BD-R to function as a sort of set-top Blu-ray player. Alas, while the hardware was more than capable, there's a lack of decoders for Linux, like PowerDVD (and that proof of concept library sans keycodes only gets you so far). The go-to solution there was to use MakeDVD and then set it up to Live Stream it, which just equates to it ripping the disc while simultaneously playing the rip. Definitely not very elegant or practical lol (also more or less negated being able to use the disc menu).

Not that I even have a 4K screen, or a GPU capable of HDMI 2.0, so really all of this is just me wishing I knew so I could've futureproofed myself better :p It's still really good to know that everything isn't as tied to Intel hardware as I had thought it was! I was a bit irked about that aspect... lol

You can use any of these cards for accelerated 4k playback of UHD Blu-Ray or ripped files. The Netflix 4k certification is a clusterfuck of the highest order, and has just cause confusion ion what video cards supported what playback :(

The only thing that I know that supports 4k BD officially is PowerDVD 17+ with an Intel 7th gen + on Windows 10. Is there something else?

Fair enough. It's just that this kind of DRM is very low level OS specific stuff and Google is probably never going to put any resources into supporting Windows only for a pretty esoteric feature. Google would just tell you to get a Chromecast.

At any rate the inflexibility of this stuff isn't Microsoft's fault, it's the content providers.

Not sure whom or what to blame but at any rate the consumer loses again. Probably a combination of OS, APP, Standards. Chief suspects DRM and Lawyers as usual.

Not sure whom or what to blame but at any rate the consumer loses again. Probably a combination of OS, APP, Standards. Chief suspects DRM and Lawyers as usual.

Agreed, there are simply too many requirements and in the case of 4k BD the investment in PowerDVD, which is actually very nice but at $50 add-on for the upgrade version. I don't necessarily get the attachment to a specific browser especially if it's just being use for video playback. I'm the type that has a number of redundant apps installed in case one doesn't do a particular task well and that's especially true of media playback.

I've not used Edge or browsers for Netflix for a long time on the PC because of the Netflix app. But having browser based Netflix with the 4k support as a fallback has been nice since that full screen issue with the app popped up. Again, redundancy isn't a bad thing.

Not sure the nvidia cards do 4k Netflix any more. It worked for a few months on my system with a 1080gtx and 4k Samsung 4k set , also on my HTPC with a 1060gtx to a 4k epson projector. Then all the sudden HDR is there but 4k is no longer there. Also Atmos works just no 4k.

Not sure the nvidia cards do 4k Netflix any more. It worked for a few months on my system with a 1080gtx and 4k Samsung 4k set , also on my HTPC with a 1060gtx to a 4k epson projector. Then all the sudden HDR is there but 4k is no longer there. Also Atmos works just no 4k.

Still works in both Edge and the app on my sig rig though the app is currently busted when playing back full screen even at 1080p on my 4k monitor. 1080p full screen works fine on my 1080p monitors. So probably some sort of DRM issue involved with my 4k display.

I tried to do Netflix 4k on my new PC, couldn't even get it to work, gave up, no additional money for netflix.

Besides, uhd Blu-ray is the best.

I tried to do Netflix 4k on my new PC, couldn't even get it to work, gave up, no additional money for netflix.

Besides, uhd Blu-ray is the best.
Exactly, at least in Linux u can download the codec package and call it a day. Oh wait- install our “worm free” “fakebook certified” app.

Still works in both Edge and the app on my sig rig though the app is currently busted when playing back full screen even at 1080p on my 4k monitor. 1080p full screen works fine on my 1080p monitors. So probably some sort of DRM issue involved with my 4k display.

I have pretty close to the same setup as you. Not sure why mine isn't working. So it actually pops up and has the 4k icon next to what your about to watch ? Even took my 1080s out of sli to make sure that wasn't an issue. I'll check my HTPC setup again to see what it's doing.

I have pretty close to the same setup as you. Not sure why mine isn't working. So it actually pops up and has the 4k icon next to what your about to watch ? Even took my 1080s out of sli to make sure that wasn't an issue. I'll check my HTPC setup again to see what it's doing.

SLI shouldn't effect it not in my testing. With the app, you may have to open it and close it and reopen for the 4k stream to open up. That's actually been a bug for sometime. Can verify with Shift-Ctrl-Alt-D.

Last edited:
SLI shouldn't effect it not in my testing. With the app, you may have to open it and close it and reopen for the 4k stream to open up. That's actually been a bug for sometime. Can verify with Shift-Ctrl-Alt-D.

I figured out what the issue was I didn't have the HEVC extension installed from the Microsoft store. All is well and working now. Thank for letting me know this was still working. I can watch 4k atmos in my theater now with Netflix.

I figured out what the issue was I didn't have the HEVC extension installed from the Microsoft store. All is well and working now. Thank for letting me know this was still working. I can watch 4k atmos in my theater now with Netflix.

Great catch! Microsoft removed the HEVC codec from the 1709 build but my sig rig was originally installed with 1607 and just upgraded since then so I never had to manually install this as it got carried over if you were on a build prior to 1709.

I actually had to look it up. Is it a new browser or just the same crappy internet explorer?
No it's a new type of motor oil.

EDGE%200W40(diesel).jpg

You know, for all the things that I'm not that fond of with Edge... the one thing that it does BEAUTIFULLY is scrolling webpages! I don't know what it is that they've gotten absolutely right with their interface, but it scrolls so damn fluidly compared to Chrome. I even have the "Smooth Scrolling with 60fps" extension, and have tried one or two others, and it's no where near as nice as Edge. At least on my laptop (FX-9800p powered). On the desktop I have Firefox Quantum, but even then it's scrolling isn't quite as crisp as Edge *shrug*

And here I am still waiting on an internet connection smooth enough to handle Netflix at 1080p without stuttering.

That is because they had an interview with AMD about Vulkan (05-02-18) (today) (Mitch Singer). Maybe that was their source for the article to begin with.
Hardware.info often mirrors their content to UK or US where the url would end up uk.hardware.info or us.hardware.info, but not in those 2 cases.

is there even a reason for 4K unless you are trying to watch something in a huge screen?

Back