AMD Addresses DX9 Based Games with Adrenalin Alpha Driver

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
If you are one of the gamers that have been impacted by AMD's new Adrenalin driver and its issues with DX9 games, you may now just be in luck. AMD has released an ALPHA version of its Adrenalin driver v18.1.1 that will hopefully fix some of your issues. Be advised, "Alpha" means alpha as this driver has not been fully tested and is NOT recommended for general use. I would suggest a backup of your OS before installing this driver. If you are still seeing specific issues, I highly recommend making AMD aware of the problem. Thanks cageymaru.

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.1.1 Alpha Highlights

This early access driver is being provided for users who have had issues launching a small number of DirectX 9 based games. This alpha driver has not been fully tested by AMD and is not recommended for general use.

The Adrenalin driver nearly bricked my computer. Took about five hours to get things to the point where I could even properly reload from a restore point.

How many fanboys think AMD was doing this out of the goodness of their corporate hearts rather than the extremely negative reaction to AMD's PR Department's imperious "screw you" statement directed to those who like to play older games. The next assignment for the AMD PR team is probably going to be handing Intel a win on a spinning these critical server security bugs.

I think this was a knee jerk reaction to all the negative publicity Intel is getting. When people get pissed off, it is not a good idea to give them another reason to be mad, or they tend to forget about the original reason they were mad and take it out on the latest, greatest reason to be mad.

AMD did what it had to do to avoid the roll-over of angry citizens from the Intel mess.

If only they would stop being retarded in the first place. It's not like they have much good will left in the GPU world.

The Adrenalin driver nearly bricked my computer. Took about five hours to get things to the point where I could even properly reload from a restore point.

How many fanboys think AMD was doing this out of the goodness of their corporate hearts rather than the extremely negative reaction to AMD's PR Department's imperious "screw you" statement directed to those who like to play older games. The next assignment for the AMD PR team is probably going to be handing Intel a win on a spinning these critical server security bugs.
Sounds strange to me......I have NEVER had a driver brick any of my computers...They have shitty issues but Bricked? Yea ok

After installing Adrenalin my GPUs went into crazy power states which were locking my computer shortly after loading windows... at least until I had a brief period where I could open afterburner and significantly underclock the GPUs and after another reboot toggle off crossfire. For whatever reason after undoing crossfire, the computer no longer recognized the mouse that was plugged into the computer at the time (but my other mouse of that make worked fine once I tried it) and I have no idea how in safe mode suddenly none of my USB keyboards were being recognized (which was a problem because Intel's DX79SR board has no legacy PS2 ports for keyboards or mice). This was followed with a host of other issues like text-to-speech randomly going on and off.

But after two failed attempts to revert to the restore point made just before downloading Adrenalin, everything seems to be running again.

If only they would stop being retarded in the first place. It's not like they have much good will left in the GPU world.

I think they just have a lax policy on who can say what shit. It's not like Nvidia where no random employee gets to say jack about jack and they know better. But on AMD its like crap just spews from randoms orifices who have no clue about media relations. Good idea to go on record and say nah, we not gonna fix that lol?

Doesn't sound bricked at all.

"Bricked" is IMO unrecoverable by pretty much any means.

Your PC had hot flashes and blacked out a few days.
That sounds more like menopause.

The last time a bad driver update did something worse on a pure GPU basis than this was before I had a water loop and it meant using a replacement GPU to complete a pre-OS boot, disconnect the hardrives, boot from DVD, format the OS drive, and do a clean install. If I have to start swapping hardware and forfeit the OS, while the underlying hardware is technically fine then it's bricked.

In this case it was merely nearly bricked because it was eventually recoverable. Sure there are plenty of times where a botched update skews the resolution or color settings and sometimes general audio, but I've never had a GPU driver update screw with the drivers like that for mice keyboards, text to speech, especially with things being screwed up in safe mode.

Nothing you're describing sounds like it'd actually brick your PC or video card. Or even "nearly brick" it which I don't even know how you'd determine anyways.

It just sounds like a bad driver install that messed with the power + clock profiles and maybe some other things somehow. That can happen with pretty much any video card driver from any company. In the win9x days having a sound card, chip set, or graphics driver trash your OS was fairly common, particularly for beta drivers (anyone else remember checking VIA's site daily for new 4in1's to fix some random issue?), though I could see how it'd be alarming to you since these days win10 and win7 are extremely robust at recovering from bad drivers.

Also if something is bricked it would have to be flat out broken and can't be "technically fine" at the same time. Its one or the other.

The only serious issues I can remember with AMD driver installations was years back when they included the RAID drivers (which I was using at the time) and Windows would bluescreen every time. I had to boot via a floppy disc and copy over the RAID driver with an older version and everything was fine after that.

The only serious issues I can remember with AMD driver installations was years back when they included the RAID drivers (which I was using at the time) and Windows would bluescreen every time. I had to boot via a floppy disc and copy over the RAID driver with an older version and everything was fine after that.
yep this i can believe.....Teenyman apparently has a few glitches/issues that are probably unrelated to the display driver.....More likely an unstable overclock than his display drivers:woot:

that's why he said this in his very first post:

"The Adrenalin driver nearly bricked my computer"

I can see the sales pitch now:

Buy AMD cards, they give you early onset menopause!

Cause you know, I expect my driver installer to freak the fuck out for multiple days, and then randomly recover?

anybody try these yet? three threads of bitching but total silence once these were released...

Back