AMD Addresses 9900k Controversy and Outlines Benchmarking Practices

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
In response to the recent controversy surrounding the 9900k benchmarks by Principled Technologies, AMD passed out some slides outlining problems with those benchmarks, as well as general "best benchmarking practices". Aside from the numerous issues with the first round of testing, AMD also noted issues with Principled Technologies 2nd, updated round of testing. According to AMD, the Multicore Enhancement auto-overclocking setting was still unclear, the memory timings were still "suspect" and testing methodology specifics and other relevant system configuration settings still weren't addressed. In addition to the criticism, AMD outlined good, general benchmarking practices. AMD says that reviewers should make sure to sanitize the OS before running benchmarks, make sure the CPUs are running at their stock, warrantied specifications, and run repeatable, consistent benchmarks at least five times, among other things.

Check out the full slides by clicking the images here.

Never stop asking: "does this config, test, and result make sense to me as a consumer?"

12% increase for a 66+% premium in price.

The crazy thing is, it's not about the money anymore. As a working adult I can build just about anything now vs 15 years ago when I had to budget all my parts.

It's the principle. Intel is about to learn a swift lesson. Again. Aka netburst 2.0

Until Zen+, I had exclusively had almost every generation unlocked 2700/3770k/4790k/6700k/8700k cpu and a nice board.

I'm cheering for AMD. Intel is getting out of hand. Phase change cpu's at conferences, fake baked benchmarks. Fuck plausible deniability.

AMD will have my money this round and I can't wait for Zen2. And I'm not alone. The numbers and stats do not lie.

Last edited:
Yeah, but, c'mon. Linux and gaming don't belong in the same sentence.

Man... Where have you been?

Linux has a ton of games now. It's easier now then it ever has to be a gamer on Linux. I used to game exclusively on Linux back in the early 2000's. Now, nearly everything runs without issue as long as your willing to at least try....

Sure, widows is still top dog in this area. But saying Linux can't game or that those two words shouldn't be put in the same sentence is just ignorant.

As for the article. I do hope Intel straightens themselves out. I recently built myself a 2700x machine that run Linux that I game and stream on.

Linux has a ton of games now. It's easier now then it ever has to be a gamer on Linux. I used to game exclusively on Linux back in the early 2000's. Now, nearly everything runs without issue as long as your willing to at least try....

Sure, widows is still top dog in this area. But saying Linux can't game or that those two words shouldn't be put in the same sentence is just ignorant.

As for the article. I do hope Intel straightens themselves out. I recently built myself a 2700x machine that run Linux that I game and stream on.
It can clearly "game". But it has zilch in the support department. It will remain that way until Linux flavored OS's can be user friendly, which they are not. Uprading gpu drivers is a homework assignment on Linux. Put it this way. Would you rather fuck the prom queen, or her sister that got hit by a car growing up.

12% increase for a 66+% premium in price.

The crazy thing is, it's not about the money anymore. As a working adult I can build just about anything now vs 15 years ago when I had to budget all my parts.

It's the principle. Intel is about to learn a swift lesson. Again. Aka netburst 2.0

Until Zen+, I had exclusively had almost every generation unlocked 2700/3770k/4790k/6700k/8700k cpu and a nice board.

I'm cheering for AMD. Intel is getting out of hand. Phase change cpu's at conferences, fake baked benchmarks. Fuck plausible deniability.

AMD will have my money this round and I can't wait for Zen2. And I'm not alone. The numbers and stats do not lie.

In the same boat as you .

I think intel is going to be feeling a lot more pressure. I am also rooting for AMD and they will most likely get my money this next round.

I don’t have to have the absolute fastest machine. I’d rather have more money in my pocket. I think this to me is where AMD shines, value to consumer.

Linux can’t compete for games. Plain and simple. Though they might be better that hasn’t really changed since well forever.

lets walk down there and fuck em all son.

why intel would allow Principled Technologies to post this fud right before everyone and his brother are releasing verifiable/repeatable/trusted testing makes no sense at all. it isnt as if people arent going to notice the price because of this.

Well that would be on an exponentially curved graph. The more bitchy the prom queen is the hotter the sister would look.
Possibly. But you forgot the "daddy" factor. They aim to impress. In other words, sucks the skin off a snake :D

lets walk down there and fuck em all son.

why intel would allow Principled Technologies to post this fud right before everyone and his brother are releasing verifiable/repeatable/trusted testing makes no sense at all. it isnt as if people arent going to notice the price because of this.
You have to remember Intel's GPP moment, when they updated the license agreement so that you were not allowed to post performance numbers. Intel just said it was a mistake and everybody forgot about it.

Well that settles that, 2700X, an ROG STRIX B450-I, and a pair of 16GB HyperX Predator 3600's on order. Word came down I have to disable HT on all my intel chips that access specific data sets so those machines are getting passed down the line and AMD chips are coming in to replace them. Server replacements scheduled for Jan 3, 2019 we are going AMD up in this bitch.

I am so ready for a 10 core 5ghz 7nm Ryzen 2 with next gen 7nm Navi in 2019. Until Intel starts taking things seriously again I am not interested.

Back