AMD Acquires IP and Hires Developer of 60 GHz Wireless Chips for AR/VR

cageymaru

Fully [H]
According to Patrick Moorhead, AMD is taking advantage of their new found revenue stream from the "Ryzen" CPU release and stock to acquire the IP of Austin, TX developer Nitero and subsequently hired the entire team. Nitero is one of the few companies in the world that has developed 60 GHz mmWave radio technology for wireless VR/AR applications such as a wireless headset. Valve is expected to adopt a form of this technology by 2018. Intel and Qualcomm are the only other companies that can create chips based on 60 GHz technology for VR. AMD isn't entering the HMD market, but this gives them a seat at the table for discussions involving wireless VR headsets.

The wireless VR pipeline is increasingly dependent on the wireless chips on both ends and the GPU that does the processing. If AMD were able to more tightly integrate Nitero’s chips with their GPUs either in hardware or software, we could potentially see increased VR performance. That increased performance could translate to support for things like 4K per eye resolution or even higher resolutions like 16K which AMD has said in the past would bring photo-realistic VR.

Just the thought of Wireless video output built into a video card makes me giggle like a school girl. That would be some killer tech. Even if you just plunged a dongle into a display port / hdmi port on the monitor that linked to a video card seamlessly, that could really be useful in some situations.

well AMD showed last year their AR-VR headset, a standalone solution packing display and compute on the same unit using an APU.
my guess this acquisition goes to solve the issue they had with that headset, weight and heat, they will probably make the headset display only, then move the compute to a small block on the arm or waist, 60Ghz wireless should be fine for this application.
well just guess work, but it makes sense to me.

AMD flushing another company down the drain. How is AMD buying companies when they themselves' have low if any net income?

Back