AMD Achieves Leading Market Share for Thin Clients

HardOCP News

[H] News
​AMD announced that the company achieved a number one market share position for thin clients based on its thin-client shipments. According to its unit sales to thin client customers last year, AMD has more than half of that market, with 53 percent market share. Thin clients, with little or no local storage, often serve as intelligent front-ends for server or cloud-based applications. Thin clients using AMD Embedded G-Series have a strong value proposition for immersive graphics in single- or multi-display configurations in the enterprise. Recent design wins with HP, Fujitsu, and Samsung validate that AMD APUs provide compelling value with horsepower for data movement, encryption/decryption of central server data, and even video encode/decode for video conferencing or multimedia streaming.

Hmmm most firms I know are ripping out thin-client kit like crazy.

No-one mourns the passing of thin-client.

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and say you don't know what you're talking about.

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and say you don't know what you're talking about.

Well worked with 5 firms over the past 18 months that have abandoned it. We partly used it at the world wide corp I worked at for 18 years and the depts that used it despised it.

Have yet to meet anyone that likes it. Not saying there isn't anyone, just never met one.

There is nothing about thin clients to not like, there's nothing to them. It's whatever technology you are using to deliver applications that defines the experience. The migration of applications away from desktops isn't slowing down, the choice is going to naturally be a thin client or iPad.

Certainly laptops aren't going anywhere, but the investment in those aren't needed for all use cases.

I have worked with significant more than 5 companies in the past month.

Thin clients are a great idea. Conventional desktops with local storage, processing, and a complex OS that has to be maintained and patched are a huge drain on company resources because keeping up with them is labor intensive. You hafta hire a buncha IT people to support them. They tend to use more electricity than a thin client too. Plus, desktop computing in general is sorta a dying out thing (thank goodness). I know of at least one mega-hugenormous company that's switching to thin clients and doing the whole virtualized desktop inside a server farm for like hundreds of thousands of employees.

What's old is new again.

I'm also seeing a big shift back to virtual desktops on thin clients, including CAD stations in some specialized applications. I'd say it's a fast expanding market, again.

Brings back mainframe memories... Simple is good...

Thin clients are a great idea. Conventional desktops with local storage, processing, and a complex OS that has to be maintained and patched are a huge drain on company resources because keeping up with them is labor intensive. You hafta hire a buncha IT people to support them. They tend to use more electricity than a thin client too. Plus, desktop computing in general is sorta a dying out thing (thank goodness). I know of at least one mega-hugenormous company that's switching to thin clients and doing the whole virtualized desktop inside a server farm for like hundreds of thousands of employees.

The sarcasm is obvious, but at the same time, nothing truer can be said. Far less software and hardware to support, so in the long run, it's a cost saver.

Well...at long last we found something that both IT departments and Weight Watchers don't want to have.

so now we know who uses AMD products. nvidia is for fat people i guess.

AMD touted the same thing 6 months ago and no one cared. AMD is getting a lot of mileage off unsold 2.5 year old chips, to give you can idea of what the demand is really like.

It's like Intel bragging about some Android tablet or phone segment it's #1 in, completely pointless because it's virtually immaterial to the market as a whole. lol

The sarcasm is obvious, but at the same time, nothing truer can be said. Far less software and hardware to support, so in the long run, it's a cost saver.

I wasn't actually being sarcastic (for once) about all that stuff. Thin clients are a good idea from a cost and moolah perspective as long as your network-ings and server-side-ings are reliable and reasonably fast.

Back