AMD A6-6400K Stock Fan Size

Axman

VP of Extreme Liberty
I'm building an HTPC around the AMD A6-6400K and I've got about 70mm of heatsink clearance with this particular case.

I've seen the factory AMD heatsink and it looks like it's probably a 90 or 92mm fan (assuming it's the fan in this photo), but I was hoping someone could confirm or deny that. I'd like to just drop a silent fan on it and maybe under-volt it some (heresy).

Alternatively if someone can suggest a small, quiet CPU heatsink for me I'm all ears. FYI, Arctic Cooling fans don't fit. There are a couple Zalman heatsinks that I'm sure will fit but they're overkill, I think, for this type of computer.

Last edited:
Bet it's a 70mm fan, actually. Went and checked my box of AMD factory heatsinks and they all seem to use 70mm fans.

And also, I have an old Phenom II X4 heatsink that looks like with a fan upgrade on it, will be more than up to the challenge for a 65-watt APU such as this.

Undervolting isn't heresy dude, I did it to my A8-3850, haha. These APU's are great for HTPC's.

you talking height? Those little apu heatsinks are tiny, I have used them in some itx builds.

A6 5400 heatsink uses a 70mm fan, heatsink is about 41 mm tall, and 68x77mm "square."

AMD HEATPIPE Heatsink uses a 70mm fan, has a copper base, about 62x68mm above the copper base, then 62(95 including heatpipes)x94 mm by 72 mm tall

Thanks all. I went ahead and ordered a silent 70mm fan to go with the stock heatsink (it is a mini-itx build with an Antec ISK-310-150; nice case all-around but damn if the optical drive cover isn't shitty).

jD3V59h.jpg

And if this HEATPIPE heatsink works with the FM2 bracket (pretty sure it will, even if I have to swap out the retainer clip) I'd say I'm set. 58mm including the fan from top to bottom not counting the processor and socket.

Last edited:
Back