AMD 8350 stock fan too loud

cnick79

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to replace the cpu fan or grab an aftermarket cooler for my 8350. The damn thing sounds loud and revs up whenever I open applications or start to do something. I may try reseating it to be safe, but I don't think that's the problem.

Anyone recommend a good cooler? The case is a fractal 605: Maximum CPU cooler height: 4.9” (125 mm) for tower coolers, 3.7” (95 mm) for coolers with a fan on top. My choices are limited I fear. Would it be best to replace the cpu fan?

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. Hard to beat and costs under $30.

Have you tinkered around in the BIOS? There's generally a setting in there to tame CPU fan speed.

If you can mount a radiator I would look at one of the all in one water coolers available, your height restriction is going to make it a pain to find decent air cooler that will fit.

If your temps are okay now, I would try setting the fan speed in bios to something you can live with, and test for stability.

125mm height restriction is even too little for a decent 92mm size tower style HSF.

As far as down-flow models, there's quite a few that would likely work, but it depends on clearance of memory modules, capacitors, heatsinks around the cpu socket, that separator bar/panel thingie in the middle of your case, etc.

I agree with stealthy on the AIO WC kits. Heck if you're feeling a bit adventurous, you could go for dual 120mm radiators and daisy chain them since it looks like your 120mm case fan mounts are at a weird distance from each other.

I'm looking to replace the cpu fan or grab an aftermarket cooler for my 8350. The damn thing sounds loud and revs up whenever I open applications or start to do something.

It shouldn't do that... what mobo do you have?
Make sure you enable Cool 'n' Quiet on the BIOS.

It shouldn't do that... what mobo do you have?
Make sure you enable Cool 'n' Quiet on the BIOS.

I have a Gigabyte 970A-D3. The odd thing is, I had to take the top of the case off to disconnect a hard drive and I never put the case cover back on, and the CPU fan has not been nearly as loud.

I've been down the water cooling path before with a custom h2o build and I would rather not go back down the h2o path again.

I'll check if Cool 'n Quiet in BIOS does anything. I may end up replacing just the fan first.

Another vote for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.

(I've tried a LOT of coolers. The H212E is great. Its cost makes it outstanding.)

I have a Gigabyte 970A-D3. The odd thing is, I had to take the top of the case off to disconnect a hard drive and I never put the case cover back on, and the CPU fan has not been nearly as loud.
Then airflow through the case is the issue. You just probably need to either add more fans, change fan positions, or change fan directions somehow. Sorry I can't give a more clear answer. I think you just need to tinker a bit.

Then airflow through the case is the issue. You just probably need to either add more fans, change fan positions, or change fan directions somehow. Sorry I can't give a more clear answer. I think you just need to tinker a bit.

I think you are right. I still haven't done much with this issue yet, but I did notice the left and right 120mm case fans are both blowing cool air into the case, but there are no fans blowing air out, not even the PSU fan. I'm going to change the fan on the left side of my fractal 605 case to exhaust air out. I'm surprised the fractal case shipped with both fans set to blow air in. There is a spot for dual 80mm fans near the mobo io shield, and a third 120mm fan.

Last edited:
Also, with these pre-made cpu water coolers, can they be mounted sideways?

Also, with these pre-made cpu water coolers, can they be mounted sideways?

How do you mean, mounted sideways?

The radiator can be in any orientation without much noticeable performance.

The only problems I have ever had are clearance for the hoses around the sockets on some motherboards (but this is very unlikely to be an issue on newer boards made in the last few years) and the hoses reaching the spot where you want to mount the radiator and fan in larger cases.

Other than that, they are just plug and play.

I recommend either getting a Corsair i model or a Kuhler, or running them off the fan header on your motherboard with smart fan monitoring enabled in bios, that way they will be VERY quiet when not under load, and only spin up when needed (and even then be pretty quiet)

The clearance in my case will not allow for the radiator to be mounted vertically so my only option for it would be a horizontal mount just like in this pic.

I was looking at the Kuhlers, but what's the difference between the 620 and 920 models? I was also thinking about the Zalman LQ-320 for $39.99 after rebate. I wont be doing any overclocking here, so cheap is my top priority.

AMD fan just loud naturally. I have one from an fx-8120 and it's just freaking loud. Go with an aftermarket one as pointed out already.

I switched one of the 120mm case fans to exhaust and added an 80mm near the mobo IO to exhaust as well. I think the heat from my GTX570 was being pushed back by the 120mm fan that was sucking air in. Since I had no exhaust fans I think temps were getting high. Now that I switched the 120mm fan near the gpu to exhaust, the CPU fan hasn't been loud. Keeping fingers crossed.

How many fans do you have as intake? I ask because too many fans exhausting causes negative pressure, which can lead to dust buildup.

120mm and 80mm exhausting,and one 120mm intake. I thought more intakes would cause dust buildup as dust is being sucked in?

120mm and 80mm exhausting,and one 120mm intake. I thought more intakes would cause dust buildup as dust is being sucked in?

From a cooling performance perspective - within reason - it shouldn't matter much if you are sucking in or out.

If you pull air in, you'll have a higher pressure inside the case, and air will exit wherever it can.

If you push air out, there will be a slightly lower pressure in the case, and air will enter wherever it can.

The same amount of dust will travel with the air.

The benefit of pushing in - however - is that you can control WHERE there air is sucked in, and put filters there, whereas if you are blowing out, air gets sucked in wherever it can, and thus it's tougher to control.

I just picked up a 212 EVO a few days ago it's not here yet but I wanted to see if it would fit on my 990FXA-UDE so I can be future proof for hot cpus. I don't own a 8 core but going to see if the cooler fits my motherboard first without jaming the ram. I read somewhere where you can raise the fins just to clear the ram a bit but maybe I won't have too. I have all four slots full whatever I post my results when I get it.

Back