AMD 7900 GPU series reviews are up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be really interested in overclocking, because if these can OC to compete with a 4090 (not beat it but be in the same league) than I'm greatly interested.
I agree. Keep an eye out on the Red Devil and Nitro+ cards. Makes me wonder if they AIB's can also ship with faster memory too.

My brother and I basically got the last 2 Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devils from Microcenter Madison Heights, MI. I was going there to possibly grab an ASRock Reference model (all that was left on the website which showed limited availability buy in store) and when I asked the Salesman if they had any 7900XTX's he was like, you want the Red Devil for $1100? I'm like hell yeah!

PXL_20221214_012501511.jpgPXL_20221214_012800268.jpgPXL_20221214_012825171.jpgPXL_20221214_012903554.jpg

My brother and I basically got the last 2 Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devils from Microcenter Madison Heights, MI. I was going there to possibly grab an ASRock Reference model (all that was left on the website which showed limited availability buy in store) and when I asked the Salesman if they had any 7900XTX's he was like, you want the Red Devil for $1100? I'm like hell yeah!

View attachment 534090View attachment 534087View attachment 534088View attachment 534089
PLEASE post your overclocking results!

AMD was never going to match Nvidia in RT after just 1 generation. If RT performance was important to you then it was always going to be Nvidia regardless. Seeing just how far behind AMD is though is kinda worrying.

My thoughts as well. Problem is, who wants to spend $500 or more on a GPU and immediately have to turn down graphic settings? Ray tracing will only become more common, and once you get into the mid range and higher I think it does start to matter.

My thoughts as well. Problem is, who wants to spend $500 or more on a GPU and immediately have to turn down graphic settings? Ray tracing will only become more common, and once you get into the mid range and higher I think it does start to matter.
If you are playing a fast paced FPS. They will turn down settings for max FPS. So, right now it depends. Also with DLSS and FSR it helps with Ray Tracing performance.

But, lets not beat around the bush. AMD is lacking in Ray Tracing performance. But to me its not THAT important yet.....but its getting close.

When Nvidia or AMD no longer need to add Ray tracing or create their own games basically to show case Ray tracing to sell it. I will be interested. Until then, it's just a thing to get people to buy GPUs. But when that does finally happen 1 old ray tracing cards won't be able to do it all, or it will basically work on almost all cards despite needing ray tracing dedicated hardware.

View attachment 534090View attachment 534087View attachment 534088View attachment 534089
Surprisingly restrained looking card, but it's a beefy boi. Damn thing comes in a safe! Enjoy.

I am keeping my XFX 6900XT (Great card but I needed CUDA cores for projects coming up) as it served me really well. AMD has a knack for introducing new features and filtering them down previous generations. I look forward to seeing how AMD gets more performance out of the 7900 XTX.

unnamed.jpg

I want to like the 7900 XTX but I can't decide whether to feel dirty about paying that much and still getting last gen RT performance.

Honestly ALL of these cards are like $100-200 overpriced. What a shitty time to be looking for a new build.

Still blows my mind why they didn't just go the 400w+ route and compete with the 4090 if they could have. Clock it at 3ghz stock, slap on some good gddrx6 etc etc.

Not saying it would of been close to 4090 performance because we need more data on overclocked models. But it looks like so far they could have.
If they went that route, they would either need to add a third PCI-E power input or switch to the PCI-E Gen 5 16-pin like NVIDIA. I wonder if AMD shot themselves in the foot with performance just to avoid the 16-pin connector and the burnt cards turned out to be user error.

I grabbed a 7900xt to replace my 3070. I got it at Micro Center in Murrieta Georgia yesterday. Figured I should probably say where since it is launch. I am extremely happy with it. If you have the cash and meets your needs grab it. If not like a lot of people have said be patient the prices will drop. I got boned during the pandemic crypto boom, so my only option was an ROG prebuilt that was an open box, that was considered being lucky lol.

If they went that route, they would either need to add a third PCI-E power input or switch to the PCI-E Gen 5 16-pin like NVIDIA. I wonder if AMD shot themselves in the foot with performance just to avoid the 16-pin connector and the burnt cards turned out to be user error.

AMD would have made the connector decision pretty early in the design process. Unless they found issues with the 16-pin connector during early testing, the melting problem would have had nothing to so with the decision. You can't completely change the power interface in a handful of months prior to mass release. I'd imagine their reasons were that they wanted the cards to fall within a specific power and cost envelope. Extra power would require significantly beefier cooling, which would mean a more expensive end product.

I grabbed a 7900xt to replace my 3070. I got it at Micro Center in Murrieta Georgia yesterday. Figured I should probably say where since it is launch. I am extremely happy with it. If you have the cash and meets your needs grab it. If not like a lot of people have said be patient the prices will drop. I got boned during the pandemic crypto boom, so my only option was an ROG prebuilt that was an open box, that was considered being lucky lol.
I was at MC two weeks ago and the GPU cases were filled to the brim with 4080s/4090s/6700s/6800s. Now the 4000 series is all gone, there are a handful of 7900xts left, and the 6000s are still there.

I am wondering about twitter deal too.

2 choices.

1. the person is doing this for attenion and make amd look bad.
2. IF Amd really did f**k up then they knowing sold defective product before it even left factory. which speaking in business is law suit. the comp0any knowing sells and sents out brand new defective product. I am business owner and if i did this my business would have law suit. i already did that with bad employee trying get cash.

I am wondering about twitter deal too.

2 choices.

1. the person is doing this for attenion and make amd look bad.
2. IF Amd really did f**k up then they knowing sold defective product before it even left factory. which speaking in business is law suit. the comp0any knowing sells and sents out brand new defective product. I am business owner and if i did this my business would have law suit. i already did that with bad employee trying get cash.
Honestly, almost everything you buy has a known defect. I mean, what real consequence did Nvidia face for the 970 3.5gb fiasco? If true, still a nothing burger.

Honestly, almost everything you buy has a known defect. I mean, what real consequence did Nvidia face for the 970 3.5gb fiasco? If true, still a nothing burger.
people go out and buy something before even looking at all facts. i have had customers choose something else for there lawn care. when i try to explain them they either want it there way or are control freaks. i have seen customer micro manage me and i collect my payment and inform them to find other lawn care company, i will not let customer tell me how run my business or do my job. either they get butthurt or not is on them.

Business world is double edge sword. thats reason i will do what steve jobs did. i make sure i am in full control of my business investors or not. I refuse let suit tell me how run my damn business.

business owner you have balls.

The irs lets business get so many tax breaks it sickening

Can someone explain to me the issue Report it on Twitter? How does this affect the cards performance?

I know jack shit about semiconductor manufacturing but even I'm not stupid enough to think that because it's an A0 revision that it means it's a bad product. I wondered what was going on when I saw the "report" that the 7900 cards were somehow bad simply because it was A0 silicon. My initial thought was that AMD must have done something right to go ahead with mass production of "early" silicon and that it would have been a terrible business decision to push that into mass production if it was known there was something seriously wrong with it.

PowerColor still using raised backplates with no cut out to reach the PCI-e bracket lock. Makes it near impossible to remove the card once its installed. Also, look how close it is to the Aluminum VRM Heatsink cover on my Asrock Steel Legend X670-E. If you don't stick a card between the GPU and the heatsink, you will put an ugly scratch on the backplate on the GPU.

1671336966177.jpeg

I had a similar (very minor) issue with my reference XTX. The cooler extends in height about 1/2 inch over the PCI bracket thumbscrew which makes it difficult to get purchase. You almost forcibly need a screwdriver, and let the thumbscrew drop when taking the card off.

What resolution are you gaming at? 4k?

I like this guys channel as he is quite hard core (Ernie & Bert haircut aside :D) Has a super ant-AMD bias but yet his numbers show that the 7900 series have legs but do loose on power draw. Note all cards in the review are MAXED-OUT but only the 7900XTX is labeled OC and not OC, so don't confuse and think they are all non-OC cards. My biggest surprise was how much power a 3090ti OC'ed sucked back. That thing is a fucking pig and i don't know why it was worshiped at all. Fermi 480 anyone? But Nvidia got that way under control for the 4000 series. It shows when Nvidia is actually threatened by the market and when they are not by how hard they push. Not so much this round.

I like this guys channel as he is quite hard core (Ernie & Bert haircut aside :D) Has a super ant-AMD bias but yet his numbers show that the 7900 series have legs but do loose on power draw. Note all cards in the review are MAXED-OUT but only the 7900XTX is labeled OC and not OC, so don't confuse and think they are all non-OC cards. My biggest surprise was how much power a 3090ti OC'ed sucked back. That thing is a fucking pig and i don't know why it was worshiped at all. Fermi 480 anyone? But Nvidia got that way under control for the 4000 series. It shows when Nvidia is actually threatened by the market and when they are not by how hard they push. Not so much this round.

Nvidia wants to always have the best card, even if by a little, for a good reason. It's PR that pays them.

Everyone talks about the 4090, everyone knows it's the fastest. Even Joe Gamer who watches YouTube influencers knows that the 4090 is THE king. And what's great is this leaderboard-toppong card that gets Nvidia's name into the mouths of anyone 'in the know' and ALSO costs money to own.

So when AMD brought out the 6950XT that was SLIGHTLY faster than the vanilla 3090, Nvidia clocked the balls off of a new sku and released the 3090Ti.

Nvidia knows just how important the fastest card crown is.

As dumb as it is, it sadly seems to be true.

Markiplier, one of the biggest youtubers for gaming content applicable to 20-something aged audiemces, talked about how the stuttering in Calysto Protocol wasn't caused by his computer saying "it's not my computer guys, I have a good computer I have TWO 4090s, only one of them runs the game, but I have TWO"

Jacksepticeye, another hugely popular gaming youtuber who has a similar audience and he recently did a one off play through of Portal RTX, and he talked proudly about the visuals (he's known to geek out over graphics) and how he was GIVEN a 4090 by Nvidia to play it.

There are other let's play gamers on YouTube and twitch that are given a 4090 to play with, just so audiences know what kind of badass card it is.

Having the fastest is probably the best form of PR in an industry where performance is the single most important metric.

Nvidia wants to always have the best card, even if by a little, for a good reason. It's PR that pays them.

Everyone talks about the 4090, everyone knows it's the fastest. Even Joe Gamer who watches YouTube influencers knows that the 4090 is THE king. And what's great is this leaderboard-toppong card that gets Nvidia's name into the mouths of anyone 'in the know' and ALSO costs money to own.

So when AMD brought out the 6950XT that was SLIGHTLY faster than the vanilla 3090, Nvidia clocked the balls off of a new sku and released the 3090Ti.

Nvidia knows just how important the fastest card crown is.
Yeah. I think we all know that. Did you watch the vid and if so what are your impressions?
PS- we don't need a regurgitation of yours and others posts based on the standard. We all read that.
Anything real to add?

I've been running through a few more titles over the past few days on by 7900xtx reference: Ghost Recon Badlands, Red Dead Redemption 2, Deus Ex MD, XCOM 2, MechWarrior 5. None are graphical barn burners, but they play flawlessly so far, and are dicernably faster than my 3090. I've also played FC6 (with RT on) and AC Valhalla extensively now where this card is screamingly fast. The only game I've had crashes in so far is in Witcher 3 next gen when RT is on, but that's currently an issue on nV cards as well.

Coil whine is still audible in menus, but has notably subsided in games after a week of wear in. I don't expect it to be a longterm issue. As for fan noise (at stock and OC'ed) it's about the same as on my PNY 3090 -- I've had way louder cards than this one.

Is it worth $1000? Probably not. But no new card is good value now. Is it an upgrade of prior flagships? Definitively.

I've been running through a few more titles over the past few days on by 7900xtx reference: Ghost Recon Badlands, Red Dead Redemption 2, Deus Ex MD, XCOM 2, MechWarrior 5. None are graphical barn burners, but they play flawlessly so far, and are dicernably faster than my 3090. I've also played FC6 (with RT on) and AC Valhalla extensively now where this card is screamingly fast. The only game I've had crashes in so far is in Witcher 3 next gen when RT is on, but that's currently an issue on nV cards as well.

Coil whine is still audible in menus, but has notably subsided in games after a week of wear in. I don't expect it to be a longterm issue. As for fan noise (at stock and OC'ed) it's about the same as on my PNY 3090 -- I've had way louder cards than this one.

Is it worth $1000? Probably not. But no new card is good value now. Is it an upgrade of prior flagships? Definitively.
To reduce coil wine, you can set up a FPS limiter. I get coil wine on my 6900 XT but only when I hit FPS in the 900+ range.

I ordered one from amazon on the 13th. still hasnt shipped. im getting desperate. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back