AMD 7900 GPU series reviews are up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is MUCH more in a name than what a lot of people here think. Nvidia just launched a 3060 8GB and it is nowhere near the same performance as the 3060 12GB. If you live in a world where "it's just a name bro" then this is fine. no issue at all.

If you live in a world that appreciates a transparent market and corporate honesty, this is a godamn slap across the face. How well do you think the 3060 8GB will sell, versus an alternative universe where they named it the 3050 Ti? If one could exercise their deductive reasoning and inferencing skills, one would perhaps come to the conclusion that naming this product similarly to a higher-performing product would influence SOME number of uninformed customers to purchase the product in situations where they wouldn't, had it been named differently.
I think the post you quoted directly responds to your query. "Names are marketing." If it affects you you wouldn't know it, and if you do you can be wise to purchase based off of its metrics rather than the naming. I'm not sure how to say this any other way.
Regardless if this is a single customer, or a significant portion of purchases to this product: it's a positive integer of purchases. This is a hypothesis that the naming of a product has real-world, monetary and market effects. One could then conclude that the naming of a product, while having very little to do with the actual hardware aside from the paint/sticker/laser etching on the shroud, has a non-zero effect on the product value and perception. And this influence on the market has a direct result in the products offered and the prices they're offered to everyone, not just uninformed consumers.
Perception is everything. I'm a business and marketing major. That isn't to say I know everything about the art and science of marketing, but to say I have a reasonable foundation is a fair statement.

"Value" and what is "value" is also perception. Just so we're clear.
I work with people in computer stores that don't know the difference between a 5800X and a 5800X3D. These are people who, in my absence, are responsible for making decisions for uninformed consumers about upgrades, new PCs and general advisory. These people are considered 'computer guys'. They don't hang out on these forums, they don't watch reviews. If they see a 7900XT and a 7900XTX, and only %10 difference in price, what do you hypothesize they might think?
Again, I don't think my opinion about what I might think other people think is of any relevance. People will always do bad buyer behavior regardless of class of product and my knowledge or lack their of doesn't change anything.

To me, you're just shouting at the sky for the level of good it will do. Your co-workers don't read these forums, do you think AMD does? I assume your coworkers don't read the tech news/reviews, do you think the average person does? In other words for all of this proverbial shouting very little of it does anything.

What affects the most is the dollar. If AMD's tactics (or anyone else's for that matter) gets them more dollars, to put this back on you: what do you think they're going to do or will continue to do? I can't affect anyone in terms of what they buy on this forum or anywhere else. I can much less affect what AMD does. I can merely "vote with my wallet". If other people choose to remain ignorant, then that is what they will be. Me being upset by that fact does little to AMD's marketing, their pricing structure, or their naming.

But sure, continue to be upset. Would you like to place bets on whether they change the name of their 7900XT or not? Since you are continually talking about what others are thinking.

Last edited:
Just because I might play different games than you do doesn't make my desire for higher performance any less valid than anyone else's. WoW is the only game that I play as part of an organized team that meets and plays on a regular schedule. I want the best performance that I can possibly get, because it is a fast-paced game especially in group content.

What benefit is there for having a 144Hz monitor if you can't pump out 144fps most of the time? The reason why I would want FPS that can match my monitor's refresh rate would seem obvious.
I had no idea WoW could be such a fast paced game, I've only ever seen my wife and MIL play it.
I would think that CPU would play a much larger role in WoW being a MMORPG, although having raytracing probably makes it more GPU bound I guess.
Only game I've ever played really competitively is Q3/Quake Live, and that can be crazy fast paced, but can run on a potato.

I think the post you quoted directly responds to your query. "Names are marketing." If it affects you you wouldn't know it, and if you do you can be wise to purchase based off of its metrics rather than the naming. I'm not sure how to say this any other way.

Perception is everything. I'm a business and marketing major. That isn't to say I know everything about the art and science of marketing, but to say I have a reasonable foundation is a fair statement.

"Value" and what is "value" is also perception. Just so we're clear.

Again, I don't think my opinion about what I might think other people think is of any relevance. People will always do bad buyer behavior regardless of class of product and my knowledge or lack their of doesn't change anything.

To me, you're just shouting at the sky for the level of good it will do. Your co-workers don't read these forums, do you think AMD does? I assume your coworkers don't read the tech news/reviews, do you think the average person does? In other words for all of this proverbial shouting very little of it does anything.

What affects the most is the dollar. If AMD's tactics (or anyone else's for that matter) gets them more dollars, to put this back on you: what do you think they're going to do or will continue to do? I can't affect anyone in terms of what they buy on this forum or anywhere else. I can much less affect what AMD does. I can merely "vote with my wallet". If other people choose to remain ignorant, then that is what they will be. Me being upset by that fact does little to AMD's marketing, their pricing structure, or their naming.

But sure, continue to be upset. Would you like to place bets on whether they change the name of their 7900XT or not? Since you are continually talking about what others are thinking.
My mind has been changed MANY times due to discussions, and I, myself have helped others make decisions on things through discussions. This is one person, having an effect on a market. is it a tiny effect? Yes.

But you absolutely CAN effect what AMD does, voting with your wallet is a big one, but discussing the virtues of the products AMD sells and what is and is not valuable in your eyes can also influence what others do with their wallets. That can be discussing a name, the price, the colour, the smell (I've seen newegg returns based on more petty things: once again: non-zero effect). "just don't buy it bro" has an influence as well, even "don't discuss it, bro" also does, indeed, have an effect on the market.

Also, AMD has had reps present on these forums trying to sway conversation MULTIPLE TIMES and probably has reps reading this thread as we speak, Nvidia as well. Intel, Nvidia and AMD have all done AMAs on Reddit, and other public outreach. I don't know how long ago you got your business/marketing degree, but social media influencing is HUGE nowadays and is the primary method of PR for many industries.

And I don't think AMD will change its naming on the current product range. What may happen is: if there are many people like myself who believe the naming sucks, and that sentiment makes up enough of the discussion as to hint at a potential impact to AMD's bottom line, AMD will do better in the future. If opinions like mine are not shared, or don't lead AMD to believe that their decisions were sub optimal, than life goes on and status quo resumes. I have no illusions to that.

But do you remember Nvidia's GPP? why do you think that stopped?

Every new card below 4090 is such a dud this gen. Reading the general malaise and exhaustion in this thread about the stagnation of performance vs price among all price points should tell the uhh industry reps (?) who sneak into these forums to steer the conversation (lol) which way they need to steer their products.

Every new card below 4090 is such a dud this gen. Reading the general malaise and exhaustion in this thread about the stagnation of performance vs price among all price points should tell the uhh industry reps (?) who sneak into these forums to steer the conversation (lol) which way they need to steer their products.

I'm not really sure if I'd say that the XTX is a dud. Setting aside marketing bullshit, it does perform well and it's right around where I think a lot of people expected. It's just, unfortunately, priced according to where the market is at right now and where AMD believes it will sell. It's been the same for multiple generations now: If people are buying up all/most of the stock at their current prices it means they're priced correctly. Nvidia and AMD have both been told that it's fine to rise prices because people are willing to pay them.

Yup. Look in the mirror, consumers. You're doing it to yourselves. It's literally as easy as not buying a product lol.

? Nobody is buying the 4080 though. And the 4090 is a halo product that's supposed to be stupid expensive. The 80 and 70 cards are supposed to be the ones that make sense to buy. Right now the 4080 doesn't make a lot of sense, hardly anyone is buying it.

Anyone catch the coil whine on the 7900xtx in GNs review? It's like people complained about 4090 coil whine and AMD said, "hold my beer". 

Anyone catch the coil whine on the 7900xtx in GNs review? It's like people complained about 4090 coil whine and AMD said, "hold my beer". 
I did hear it. One of the benefits of getting older is those frequencies start disappearing from your hearing. I'm looking forward to being able to tune out the media...just another 50 years to go

I had no idea WoW could be such a fast paced game, I've only ever seen my wife and MIL play it.
I would think that CPU would play a much larger role in WoW being a MMORPG, although having raytracing probably makes it more GPU bound I guess.
Only game I've ever played really competitively is Q3/Quake Live, and that can be crazy fast paced, but can run on a potato.

If you raid in WoW, especially 20 man raids, you want good fps when you've got all the spell effects flying around. You can compensate but 60fps or better really helps.

I think the 7900 XTX performed about where I realistically expected it to. I fully expect that there is more performance to be had with further driver tuning since this is a new chiplet design and a few gaming test results looked really odd performance wise. It is just the pricing that is out of whack. I was planning on waiting a while for prices to slowly crash before buying, but I think Best Buy had a pricing error and I nabbed a reference 7900 XTX for $899 jut moments ago. Was going to go AIB model, but at $899, I can deal with a little less cooling ability.

1670913978281.png

BB website says all models are already sold out. On first load the prices were $899 for the reference card and had "notify" button active. Then it auto refreshed and said sold out.

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 23-58-37 radeon rx 7900 xtx - Best Buy.png

Not sure why anyone got their hopes up. This thing is going to be scalped hard.

I think the 7900xtx is a nice solid option as a 2nd level card after the 4090 for anyone not using previous gen hardware. The so called 2nd level options provided by both nvidia and AMD are just junk options to be avoided.

For anyone considering holding onto last generation top tier cards, short of a 4090, you'd have to weigh the games you play if the performance bump is worth the cost of a new card.

AMD.com has a queue in place to try to limit scalpers. Let's see how well that works out...

Bahhhh I have 2 min left in the queue at time of this post.

edit: seeing the SOLD OUT for myself was just as disappointing as reading about it here.

I mean for what we have been told did 200,000 just sold out in seconds? At least with 4090 it didn't sell out for like 1 hour. Oh well, if I can't get this card then I will just hold out for a 4090FE since apparently we will be waiting forever to see any cards in stock.

This was such a disappointing launch. I was on the fence about getting a 7900XTX and that 20 second hesitation cost me. Even if I did buy it within 1 seconds I probably still wouldn't have got it.

4090 was available for at least a few weeks after launch having sporadic daily drops. I got my pick of the one I wanted a week after launch. I was hoping my HTPC could get an upgrade too as I like to do sim racing in the winter months, but my 6700xt will have to hold up.

ugh. looks like i might be able to get one in March.
in queue at amd.com for a little less than 30 minutes and XTX sold out. Only XT remained.

was refreshing newegg, BB, BH, since 8:45am and all instant sold out. What a BS SH*T SHOW to get a damn card.

just wondering, any [H]ers actually get the option to purchase today? or did the scalper bots win again?

I think the bots won. What is crazy is that the AMD queue system which I had high hopes was also sold out.
Depends how many people were actually queueing up. In today's market the 7900xtx is pretty good "value" despite what a few here think of the rt performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back