AMD 7900 GPU series reviews are up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rasterization is marginally (+/-5%) higher than 4080; RT is around 3090. AMD, what happened?

Doing no favors to lower prices.
um, did you see the Guru3D review? It beats 4090 in Farcry 6 and Assassins Creed Valhala (1080p/1440p). This is probably early drivers too. Give AMD a chance to improve drivers over the next few months.

um, did you see the Guru3D review? It beats 4090 in Farcry 6 and Assassins Creed Valhala (1080p/1440p). This is probably early drivers too. Give AMD a chance to improve drivers over the next few months.

Yep, and it is going to come down to what games you play and how much you want to spend. I have a 6800XT already but, the 7900XTX is a very good card at that price point.

This right here is the problem for AMD. Hoping for the mythical and debunked "fine wine."

They need to put more effort into their launch drivers because first impressions have been killing them. The XTX is a good card held back by AMD software.

Yep, and it is going to come down to what games you play and how much you want to spend. I have a 6800XT already but, the 7900XTX is a very good card at that price point.
I feel for the times the 7900xtx is behind the 4080 is just due to immature drivers. If it can rival 4090 or beat it in some games tells a lot.

Not a single review I've seen so far touches on OC, some talked about clock speeds. Which are between 2500-2750 depending on what review you get. Were they not allowed to OC, or just nothing there to OC to?

Not a single review I've seen so far touches on OC, some talked about clock speeds. Which are between 2500-2750 depending on what review you get. Were they not allowed to OC, or just nothing there to OC too?
There is very little gained by overclocking looking at the guru3d review. 4-5% at best.

Unless there's a specific game you need more performance on, a single generation to generation upgrade isn't really needed. AMD driver work is pretty shoddy. My 6700xt messes up really badly if windows is left to auto update, it loses all its fan settings and 3d settings and often the radeon software just stops working until I manually install it. It's frustrating when I want to go sit at my driving sim setup and find the silent pc I setup gets noisy as I'm about to settle in on what was supposed to be a simple fire it up and play session. I can go years without paying attention to my nvidia drivers until I hit some compatibility wall with a new game or it breaks an old one with some bug.

Man my 3080 can run most things on 4K and the 7900 XTX doesn't do much better than the 3080 with RT on. I might just skip this generation.

AMD was never going to match Nvidia in RT after just 1 generation. If RT performance was important to you then it was always going to be Nvidia regardless. Seeing just how far behind AMD is though is kinda worrying.

Last gen's RT performance now on AMD.
Maybe if Rasterization is the only criteria, it wins and that too because nV was stupid to price 4080 at 1200.

AMD was never going to match Nvidia in RT after just 1 generation. If RT performance was important to you then it was always going to be Nvidia regardless. Seeing just how far behind AMD is though is kinda worrying.
This is the 3rd generation since nV starting their push towards RT.

Unless there's a specific game you need more performance on, a single generation to generation upgrade isn't really needed. AMD driver work is pretty shoddy. My 6700xt messes up really badly if windows is left to auto update, it loses all its fan settings and 3d settings and often the radeon software just stops working until I manually install it. It's frustrating when I want to go sit at my driving sim setup and find the silent pc I setup gets noisy as I'm about to settle in on what was supposed to be a simple fire it up and play session. I can go years without updating my nvidia drivers until I hit some compatibility wall with a new game.
If the 4090 wasn't basically a 4-slot GPU in like 2 directions I would definitely be interested in it. Because it's generation to generation jump in performance is worth it at 4k+

5_26_17_shrug-thumb-640xauto-999241[1].gif

This is the 3rd generation since nV starting their push towards RT.

It's been one generation for AMD. RX 6000 -> RX 7000. If anyone expected AMD to catch up going from 6000 to 7000 series, again ONE generation, dunno what to tell you.

Unless there's a specific game you need more performance on, a single generation to generation upgrade isn't really needed. AMD driver work is pretty shoddy. My 6700xt messes up really badly if windows is left to auto update, it loses all its fan settings and 3d settings and often the radeon software just stops working until I manually install it. It's frustrating when I want to go sit at my driving sim setup and find the silent pc I setup gets noisy as I'm about to settle in on what was supposed to be a simple fire it up and play session. I can go years without paying attention to my nvidia drivers until I hit some compatibility wall with a new game or it breaks an old one with some bug.
Group policy editor and disable HW updates included in windows update. Then you can update when you want and make sure to save your settings.

I've disabled the auto update on my home rigs. It's basically a highlight of a long standing problem with AMD drivers among many problems with the idea they age like fine wine. By the time my 6700x beats out a 3070 across the board, it's really late in the cycle. For the most part, the nv experience is fairly consistent to me from day 1. Any gains in future is nice, but for the most part it works. I can swap out an nv card generationally (680->780->1080->1080ti->2080ti->3090->4090) and it really just works. My AMD side experience has been less than ideal generational over generation, but I get those cards due to size and efficiency. The funny part is 4080 is more efficient than the 7900xtx this round.

Last edited:
Guru3D is the only review I've seen so far where it's beating the 4090 in these two games. Far Cry 6 exhibits odd behavior compared to every other game out there, so I don't understand why reviewers insist on keeping it in their game suite.

I've done that already on my home rigs. It's basically a highlight of a long standing problem with AMD drivers among many problems with the idea they age like fine wine. For the most part, the nv experience is fairly consistent to me from day 1. Any gains in future is nice, but for the most part it works. I can swap out an nv card generationally (680->780->1080->1080ti->2080ti->3090->4090) and it really just works. My AMD side experience has been less than ideal generational over generation, but I get those cards due to size and efficiency. The funny part is 4080 is more efficient than the 7900xtx this round.
Weird. Never had that issue with the AMD cards. But I tend not to use the Beta drivers.

Sounds to me your computer is unstable, not a driver issue at this would be widely reported. All of those settings reset if the driver detects instability. I only update if I feel the need to do so myself and have had 0 issues with my 6900XT.

Guru3D is the only review I've seen so far where it's beating the 4090 in these two games. Far Cry 6 exhibits odd behavior compared to every other game out there, so I don't understand why reviewers insist on keeping it in their game suite.

Honestly, I do not see why reviewers have an 6 year old game, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but not a 3 year old game, Read Dead Redemption 2. RDR2 is still played over and over but instead, they list games I do not own and do not play, at all.

Honestly, I do not see why reviewers have an 6 year old game, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but not a 3 year old game, Read Dead Redemption 2. RDR2 is still played over and over but instead, they list games I do not own and do not play, at all.
Because they're consistent benchmarks. So people can go back to reference older reviews. The more played, and modern games will be done at a later date when they have more time to. But the preliminary reviews are always rushed. So they can't do an indepth review, and a wide suite of games.

Because they're consistent benchmarks. So people can go back to reference older reviews. The more played, and modern games will be done at a later date when they have more time to. But the preliminary reviews are always rushed. So they can't do an indepth review, and a wide suite of games.

Except that RDR2 is not typically benchmarked, at all, on almost all of these sites, and they benchmark newer games than that. RDR2 also has its own built in benchmark but it is not on rails, like most benchmarks tend to be. That is why most of the reviews do not mean anything, over all, to me.

The 7900XTX looks appealing at $999 given raster performance is pretty much 4080 levels. But if Nvidia cuts the price of the 4080 as rumored (to at least $1100), then there is little to no appeal for the 7900XTX since it falls basically a generation behind on RT performance.

Group policy editor and disable HW updates included in windows update. Then you can update when you want and make sure to save your settings.
Heck, I had to do this as a set of intel network drives hard-crashed my Z490 box. After a week of system restores I finally figured it out.

The 7900XTX looks appealing at $999 given raster performance is pretty much 4080 levels. But if Nvidia cuts the price of the 4080 as rumored (to at least $1100), then there is little to no appeal for the 7900XTX since it falls basically a generation behind on RT performance.
Agreed, but there are the actual physical size differences as well. I've pretty much moved to ITX systems. Because lugging a full-sized, or even a large mid-tower case that is big enough for Nvidia's new cards. Is a big pain to move around. Especially since I have mobility issues now.

In general, lots of the games video reviewers use seem like odd choices. I don't really care about pulling 800fps vs. 750fps in CS:Go. Do people really care about F1? Might as well test Madden and Flight Sim if you're going to do that. Has anyone played SOTT in the last 3-4 years? Bust out Valhalla, God of War, Spider-Man, RDR2, Borderlands 3, Halo Infinite, Plague Tale: Requium, a newer Need for Speed, Forza, or even emulators like Dolphin and such. The Linus crew busts out emulators to do apples to apples with totally different types of hardware. They should try that with GPU's and CPU's, too.

Agreed, but there are the actual physical size differences as well. I've pretty much moved to ITX systems. Because lugging a full-sized, or even a large mid-tower case that is big enough for Nvidia's new cards. Is a big pain to move around. Especially since I have mobility issues now.
The ITX community is small and niche compared to the entire PC building community. The size of the 4080 is definitely something to take into account for regular cases as well, but I would suspect many more people would be willing to upgrade their case to accommodate a 4080 than go with a lower performing GPU at nearly the same cost. Especially when they’re already spending $1000+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back