AMD 7900 GPU series reviews are up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 7900XTX did exactly what they said, that is, compete well against the Nvidia 4080. No surprises. So, close to same for less money, though if RT or other compute is your thing, maybe that's the price difference (?).

AMD didn't hit a homerun here, but, did keep their place. For some it will be better due to price, for others, the extra features of the 4080 will make up the price difference.

It might become more interesting when the more earth-level mainstream cards come out from both.

Edit: Concerns, power spiking, thermals.

What's with the hwub thumbnail? How was this card over hyped?
Steve explains it in the Final thoughts part of the video. AMD said that the 7900XTX would be 1.7x faster than the 6950XT, which going by Steve's math, is around 50% faster. When in reality, the 7900XTX is only around 30%-35% faster.

But AMD did use different HW and bench different games as well.

Steve explains it in the Final thoughts part of the video. AMD said that the 7900XTX would be 1.7x faster than the 6950XT, which going by Steve's math, is around 50% faster. When in reality, the 7900XTX is only around 30%-35% faster.

But AMD did use different HW and bench different games as well.
Ah, no idea about that stuff. I thought it had to do with it not competing with the 4090 or some such.

I do remember people trying to extrapolate numbers from bar graphs, but that's about it.

Thanks for posting this. This is exactly what I was worried about. the 7900XTX is not fast enough to be faster than the 4080 for less money, so it's simply less money. That means it won't touch the 4090 market share and all Nvidia has to do is drop its price to $999 to compete. The issue with that, of course, is even after price matching (stagnation personified) for performance, that nvidia/AMD have raised the price to the higher budget mainstream card to $999 in the course of two years.

I am not recommending a single 4000 series or 7000 series card to any of my friends/family building PC's, as the market will flood with used 3000 and 6000 series cards which will then be the best deals on market.

So the general consensus thus far is that 7900 XTX is on par with 4080 for rasterization, but falls behind the 4080 on RT. As expected. Some of the outliers, though, give me hope that there will be lots of driver optimizations coming down the pipe that will give the 7900 XT/X a boost in rasterization performance as it ages. This is both a new architecture and a fundamentally new way of building GPUs, so it's only natural that there will be teething issues with the first generation. We will see.

Man my 3080 can run most things on 4K and the 7900 XTX doesn't do much better than the 3080 with RT on. I might just skip this generation.

I'm opposite of you. My 3080 is a great card but even the 7900XT is much better in rasterization. RT, it's on par-ish. The only game I play with RT was Eternal I honest I could care less. I think even the XT is a decent upgrade from my 3080.

Thanks for posting this. This is exactly what I was worried about. the 7900XTX is not fast enough to be faster than the 4080 for less money, so it's simply less money. That means it won't touch the 4090 market share and all Nvidia has to do is drop its price to $999 to compete. The issue with that, of course, is even after price matching (stagnation personified) for performance, that nvidia/AMD have raised the price to the higher budget mainstream card to $999 in the course of two years.

I am not recommending a single 4000 series or 7000 series card to any of my friends/family building PC's, as the market will flood with used 3000 and 6000 series cards which will then be the best deals on market.
I think for many, yes used will provide a great value. But many folks don't buy used. If I buy new, the 7900 XT will be a decent upgrade over my 3080.

Reactions: cvinh
like this
The whole value argument is really something nvidia and AMD have sadly conditioned people for since last generation. 1K is a stupid amount of money for a graphics card, let alone 1600 (which it's nowhere near those msrp anyways)

The card looks good value versus nvidia and versus last generation, but last few years really messed up the pricing where people are seeing that the cards are good "value". Know what a good value is? Xbox or PS5. When I think of why we get these gpu's in the first place, its because we are mostly gaming on them. The 80 class card (which was more or less the top dog before this ti/90 bs came out) was always a good step ahead of a console while in the price range of a console. I feel like PCs have reverted back to 90s pricing where a computer was ridiculously priced versus a console.

A little disappointed if I am being honest. Was hoping/expecting it would distinguish itself by pulling a little further away from the 4080 and more firmly entrenching itself between the 4080 and 4090 in raster. As it stands its basically 4080 tier raster (faster in a couple of outliers, slower in a couple others) + last gen RT for $200 less than a 4080. Which is fine. All very fine. I guess.

If I were set on buying a new video card in the near future, I'd see if Nvidia responds at CES. That's supposedly when the lesser 4080's are going to be re-announced. They might knock some $'s off the "good" 4080 while they're at it. I'd still rather have a 4080 than either these, and if they can knock at least $100 off the price of one, that would be enough IMO. If you don't care about RT, you can max out damn near anything at 4K on older hardware already - there's no need to buy these, a 4080, or anything else.

A little disappointed if I am being honest. Was hoping/expecting it would distinguish itself by pulling a little further away from the 4080 and more firmly entrenching itself between the 4080 and 4090 in raster. As it stands its basically 4080 tier raster (faster in a couple of outliers, slower in a couple others) + last gen RT for $200 less than a 4080. Which is fine. All very fine. I guess.

It's funny how all the rumors/leaks started out with nonsense like "3 times faster than Navi 21" to "2 times faster than Navi 21", then AMD comes out with "UP TO 1.7x faster than 6950XT" and then the end result actually ended up being "1.35x over 6950XT" lol.

It's funny how all the rumors/leaks started out with nonsense like "3 times faster than Navi 21" to "2 times faster than Navi 21", then AMD comes out with "UP TO 1.7x faster than 6950XT" and then the end result actually ended up being "1.35x over 6950XT" lol.
They will restart with a 3ghz, 25% stronger edition, gddr7 upcoming in 2023, regardless of how much the xtx scale or not when you OC it.

Some people tried the 3ghz type of frequency OC (we typically saw a wider-range of real-world game clocks, commonly in the 2,900MHz - 3,080MHz range, though it occasionally spiked higher.):
https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-and-7900-xtx-review?page=5

It is not like the typical 2.7-2.8 without OC is far off.

I wonder how well these will sell. More Ram, more watts, same performance, less RT. Mining won’t drive the insane demand of last launch.

I wonder how well these will sell. More Ram, more watts, same performance, less RT. Mining won’t drive the insane demand of last launch.
They won't sell well. Just like the 4080 isn't selling well. The $1K market is pretty small and the 4090 sucked some of that up with its great performance.

The sub $500 market is being serviced by last generation cards until they sell out. NV and AMD better have something in the pipeline for that market.

crap! I wonder if the 4080 is even getting a price drop now, probably not considering Nvidia and a lot of these reviews make the card look not so bad

Seems like a complete fail to me. Well below expected performance based on their benchmarks, coil whine and bad power regulation. Should have released it as the 7700 series and accelerated the refresh.

It's super frustrating to have new cards launch and literally not be able to find a single review that actually tests my main game (World of Warcraft). With the huge variance in performance between games, it's really important to see how it performs in games that you actually care about. This is especially important since WoW actually supports Ray Tracing and this seems to be a weak spot of the AMD 7000 series cards.

As someone who runs 6 monitors, I was a bit alarmed to see massive idle power consumption while running multiple monitors. Probably a driver bug, but still...

It makes you wonder how big of a market there is for $1000+ GPU's that didn't buy a card from the previous generation and have a hard stop at that price point. It's a little like the slow sales for the new CPU's. How many people are there out there that didn't buy a last-gen part and do that one specific task enough to justify a pricy new part. There's always a market for people that don't care what something costs and just go for the gusto. Trick is, they aren't going to be buying these. We'll find out I guess.

I bet Jensen is wishing he didn't give us a 102 die in the 4090, could have easily launched the 4080 as the top dog and had no problem.

It's super frustrating to have new cards launch and literally not be able to find a single review that actually tests my main game (World of Warcraft). With the huge variance in performance between games, it's really important to see how it performs in games that you actually care about. This is especially important since WoW actually supports Ray Tracing and this seems to be a weak spot of the AMD 7000 series cards.

As someone who runs 6 monitors, I was a bit alarmed to see massive idle power consumption while running multiple monitors. Probably a driver bug, but still...
It is WoW. A potato can run it.

So coil whine. Loud. Gamers nexus.
Crashing. Loud. Random crashing. PC Centric.
Loud. Abnormal power consumption. Optimum tech.

Seems like new drivers are in order. Maybe non reference cards fare better.

love how gamers nexus tested it at 8k and displayed abysmal results, LMAO
Even the 4090 was abysmal at 8K. We're just not even close to the world of 8K gaming. It makes you wonder why AMD even mentioned it in their 7900 XT/X keynote.

So coil whine. Loud. Gamers nexus.
Crashing. Loud. Random crashing. PC Centric.
Loud. Abnormal power consumption. Optimum tech.

Seems like new drivers are in order. Maybe non reference cards fare better.
Coil whine can happen to any card. All the 4080/4090 laughing with ridiculous HUGE coolers.

It is WoW. A potato can run it.

Only if you dial back the settings. My goal is to run the game at max settings, with ray tracing enabled, and have my FPS pegged at 144fps 100% of the time. WoW has brought major changes to the game over the years and new more GPU-intensive content with every new expansion. The 9th expansion just launched 2 weeks ago... My 2080 is pegged at 100% GPU usage when I play. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to have as much info as possible when choosing my next card.

They won't sell well. Just like the 4080 isn't selling well. The $1K market is pretty small and the 4090 sucked some of that up with its great performance.

The sub $500 market is being serviced by last generation cards until they sell out. NV and AMD better have something in the pipeline for that market.
Good point about the 4090 convincing people to buy up for a “little” more money. 4080 does seem like a lame duck.

Gotta say, this card and the 4080 are both pretty uninspiring. I feel like if you're going to buy a 1000 dollar card you're better off spending 1200 and getting the 4080 which is truly sad. Surprised they aren't really reviewing the 7900 XT, that card seems like a horrible value.

Gotta say, this card and the 4080 are both pretty uninspiring. I feel like if you're going to buy a 1000 dollar card you're better off spending 1200 and getting the 4080 which is truly sad. Surprised they aren't really reviewing the 7900 XT, that card seems like a horrible value.
Digital Foundry's review included the XT and the XTX. They arrived at the same conclusion all of us did; the 7900 XT is piss-poor value. It needs to be an $800 card to make any sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back