AMD 7000 series specs leaked

I hate when people say "just overclock the 7970 and it will be within an ear-shot of the 6990" or something similar. Why would you compare apples to oranges? Just overclock the 6990 and you are back to the original performance difference, just with them both being overclocked.

I don't see the 7970 coming close to beating the 6990. Now the 7990, that will be interesting! When the 7990 launches in mar-apr, Ivy Bridge will be coming out with true PCI-E 3.0. A 7990 in a 16x 3.0 slot will be pretty sweet I think. Especially for us Eyefinity users.

I am not sure where the charts came from, but highly doubt they are going to beat the 580GTX like that. Ive been reading the 7970 is 30% faster then a 6970. Off the top of my head i dont remember how a 6970 stacks up against a 580gtx, but ive been under the impression the 580GTX is the fastest single card solution.

I am not sure where the charts came from, but highly doubt they are going to beat the 580GTX like that. Ive been reading the 7970 is 30% faster then a 6970. Off the top of my head i dont remember how a 6970 stacks up against a 580gtx, but ive been under the impression the 580GTX is the fastest single card solution.

I can give you a hint, it's the one of the most annoying topics. (between us, it is)

I can give you a hint, it's the one of the most annoying topics. (between us, it is)

30% faster than a 6970 for a card with 1GB more memory, TWO die shrinks, a new architecture, and a rumored $500 price tag?

not a chance, it'll be way more than 30%

A few more slides:

mbp.jpg

36059149.jpg

hd3da.jpg

And this one should be pretty interesting for bitcoin miners:

50% faster in SHA256 code.
uaej8lmn.jpg

A few more:

56ema4p.jpg

574my5r.jpg

3057zjd.jpg

Last edited:
30% faster than a 6970 for a card with 1GB more memory, TWO die shrinks, a new architecture, and a rumored $500 price tag?

not a chance, it'll be way more than 30%

i think we were talking about cards now and especially the 6900 - 500 series. I didn't mean to comment on the new 7970 performance. The power per w will be much better, idle power and performance. Still now a days gtx 580, with the latests drivers has a 48% better power consumption than the gtx 480.. So lets wait and compare later, especially the upcoming nvidia will kick some serious ass (fingers crossed). But yes, it will be better than 580, lets hope it is the 30% in reality too. Otherwise Slap Me Silly

bf3af.jpg

PRT
http://88.198.39.57/7970/prt.png

Last edited:
[H]ardware pr0n

I like that they went fairly minimal on the outputs in order to have half of the backplate be vent. I'd love to see a card with maybe just 4 mini-DP and have close to 3/4 of the backplate be vent. Moar airflow!

Looks like a massive step up from the 580 if those are true. 82% faster in Crysis 2?

Edit Nvm I was reading these wrong, that's just tessellation performance. Still pretty decent, I may hold out for Nvidia this gen though.

Last edited:
If true, it looks like AMD is aiming beyond the typical 1080p gamer. Finally paying attention to we eyefinity and 30" users. This and the rumors of 1800p and 4k monitors getting more afordable makes me smile. Time to pull everyone out of the HDTV res funk and back to the old days of huge resolution!

Hm, now those recent benchmarks look realistic. I am mixed on some of the improvements. 7970 definitely won't be faster than a 6990.

Only 5% faster than a 580 in Skyrim.

I like how they compare a 1.5GB 580 at 7600x1600. I think it is quite obvious that 1.5GB 580 can't run that resolution sufficiently and it shows in those charts. 3GB 580s would have been interesting to compare to.

7970 is about 27% faster than the relatively same 6970/580 in BF3. That definitely is not impressive. It seems the two games I play the most (BF3 and Skyrim) gain the least with the 7970. Not sure if it would be much of an upgrade from a 6990. Although, I may buy 2x 7970's and pit them against the 6990 in Eyefinity to see how they compare. Although the 7970's will only be running in 2.0 8x speed slots.

Internal tests have the card reaching 1.2Ghz core clock.

Hm, now those recent benchmarks look realistic. I am mixed on some of the improvements. 7970 definitely won't be faster than a 6990.

I like how they compare a 1.5GB 580 at 7600x1600. I think it is quite obvious that 1.5GB 580 can't run that resolution sufficiently and it shows in those charts. 3GB 580s would have been interesting to compare to.

7970 is about 27% faster than the relatively same 6970/580 in BF3. That definitely is not impressive. It seems the two games I play the most (BF3 and Skyrim) gain the least with the 7970. Not sure if it would be much of an upgrade from a 6990. Although, I may buy 2x 7970's and pit them against the 6990 in Eyefinity to see how they compare. Although the 7970's will only be running in 2.0 8x speed slots.

27% faster than the best of the best right now, that really does suck! :rolleyes:

Internal tests have the card reaching 1.2Ghz core clock.

That is some sweet overclock. Hopefully something like that is routinely attainable.

27% faster than the best of the best right now, that really does suck! :rolleyes:

If you think a 5% Skyrim increase and a 27% BF3 increase for an entirely new GPU release is great performance, you must be easily impressed.

That is some sweet overclock. Hopefully something like that is routinely attainable.

If you think a 5% Skyrim increase and a 27% BF3 increase for an entirely new GPU release is great performance, you must be easily impressed.

It's not like the drivers aren't going to be further optimized. It's a new freaking architecture for cripes sake. Plus your taking phantom benchmarks as gospel from some slides..pointless to be impressed/not impressed at this point until we see official benchmarks...jeeeezzz.

Yes, they are supposed benchmarks. I bet they will turn out to be fairly accurate though. Also, the "wait for new drivers" argument has never worked and it won't work here. The AMD driver team has spent months on drivers for the new GPUs. Then again, the AMD driver team are known for dropping the ball.

Yes, they are supposed benchmarks. I bet they will turn out to be fairly accurate though. Also, the "wait for new drivers" argument has never worked and it won't work here. The AMD driver team has spent months on drivers for the new GPUs. Then again, the AMD driver team are known for dropping the ball.

10% driver evolution but due to new gen, might be a tad more down the line but I wouldnt count on it much.
if it overclocks well it seems to be a nice card for me with my resolution.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/07/01/amd_ati_catalyst_driver_performance_comparison/

Isn't Skyrim CPU limited? I mean they tested on a stock 980X - but the game only takes advantage of 2 cores.

It's not like the drivers aren't going to be further optimized. It's a new freaking architecture for cripes sake. Plus your taking phantom benchmarks as gospel from some slides..pointless to be impressed/not impressed at this point until we see official benchmarks...jeeeezzz.

Same was said with the R600. That never saw the light of day.

Hi, Im the 7970 3gb card and I was gonna compete against the 3gb 580gtx in the benchmarks but I took an arrow in the knee......

Here is another specilation where it could be 60% faster than GTX 580

the main difference will be at 2560x1440 or so and up towards eyefinity where it will shine.
today a 1920x1080 isnt putting much stress on the cards.
the difference then is smaller than what the cards can do due to such limits.
nvidia face the same with the next gen also.

Nice!

Thank you for the links. Very, very interesting reading by the way.

Hopefully benchmarks released tomorrow line up closely to AMD's in-house benchmarks. They are the real deal especially in that Review Guide.

It is also interesting to note the following that I noticed while reading it:
"Important Note When Performing Power Tests in AMD Crossfire™ Technology

Please be aware that when performing power draw tests in AMD Crossfire Configurations that you should wait until the secondary (slave) GPU’s fan is stopped to properly gauge performance in this configuration. The fan may take a few seconds to recognize its state and tests should be done at that time since the GPU will remain in this state when it is idle."​
The ZeroCore technology is impressive. We may see very low idle numbers out of this card. If true, the card should idle around 3 Watts as long as there are no activity on your screen. It pretty much puts the GPU in a near sleep state or similar. Even more impressive is how much the power savings will be in Crossfire mode.

Even more impressive is how much the power savings will be in Crossfire mode.
That's a really good point 6watts sounds much better than 60 (especially for those who leave their [main] pc on 24/7). It will also mean that those 'batmobile' heat-sinks could be close to silent until they're being pushed to the limits (they were previously too loud for me to live with).

Back