AMD 7000 series specs leaked

I want to be excited about this card, even if it's only 50% faster than a 6970. However, the fact that there is no software out there (or will there be for a while), and the $500-550 price will likely compel me to sit this one out. I just can't justify spending money on this card to play Skyrim and BF3 when my 6970s already push these games at high FPS with the settings floored.

Skyrim and BF3 aren't very taxing games. Play some more taxing games and then you'll get the itch to upgrade. :p Joking, of course.

you do realize this is a new architecture right? It is not the same stream processors, it is a brand new GCN architecture. You can read about it on anandtech if you want. So until all the details come out about the chip we cant really talk about the transistors gain vs stream processor gain. There is a lot of new stuff in it than just increased number of stream processors, even they are not the same.

Yes I do realize it's a new architecture and that our previous perception of the corelation of transistors and stream processors won't apply in the same way anymore.
Nevertheless if the numbers are correct we have around 70% more transistors and around 33% more stream prossesors. That means these 'new' stream processesors need to be 50-75% faster to justify the large amount of transistors and high price they'll bring, at least if we expect this new card to be 50% or so faster than 6970.
I have a hard time seeing AMD managed to get that much improvement from the stream processors, rop's and so on, numbers just don't add up with what you would expect performancewise for now which leads me to suspect we don't have correct numbers yet.

All I wanted was to make people think a little and not just take everything as truth yet, we simply don't have all the facts.

I've just read an article that the 7970 will be 30% faster than the 6970 and will launch on December 22.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/21931..._than_6970_launches_on_december_22/index.html

LOL the same article says it will be faster than 6990 and gtx 590 if you read the whole thing. It is big giant fail of an article. I can't believe some people don't know what they are writing.

it will keep up with and beat 6990 and gtx 590 and it will be 30% faster than hd 6970. WTF?

I want to be excited about this card, even if it's only 50% faster than a 6970. However, the fact that there is no software out there (or will there be for a while), and the $500-550 price will likely compel me to sit this one out. I just can't justify spending money on this card to play Skyrim and BF3 when my 6970s already push these games at high FPS with the settings floored.

Well, 'settings floored' meaning 'a couple of settings turned off' then yes, but even considering that, I'd be tempted to agree. Games like BF3 and Skyrim are not the reason to be upgrading. There's plenty out there that is a reason to upgrade though, it's just if you don't play those particular games, you have no need to. Also consider situations of games on the permanent no-crossfire list, one HD6970 may not be enough to max those out. One HD7970 however, may very well cut the mustard.

Really looking forward for these series to pop-out! Only few days and the first releases should be out. I think it's impossible to get these before January. Do you have experience about the "paper"-releases. I mean, how is it possible to get this card from the first small release? Normal guy has the change of 0% ?

I hope the 7970 is more than 30% faster than the 6970, because if thats true, thats kinda disappointing. I expect it to be as fast as the 6990 and 590.

It will be, the tweaktown article is wrong. If a card was going to be released December 22nd, why would the NDA lift be three weeks later? 50% will be about right.

What I want to know, what have they done to get the idle board power down to 3W? That's low enough to run semi-passive (and I would hope that if this is true, that is actually how the cards operate [I have my doubts]).

The HD7970 is never going to be an HD6990 beater, but it should compare to HD5870 crossfire setups favourably. Remember, the HD5870 could take on the HD4870X2, but it could not best two GTX285s. Likewise, the GTX280 could take on the 9800GX2, but not two 8800 Ultras.
New generations can equal the previous generation's first iteration of a dual-GPU card, but never in history have they been able to best the previous generation's best dual-GPU card.

It will be, the tweaktown article is wrong. If a card was going to be released December 22nd, why would the NDA lift be three weeks later? 50% will be about right.

What I want to know, what have they done to get the idle board power down to 3W? That's low enough to run semi-passive (and I would hope that if this is true, that is actually how the cards operate [I have my doubts]).

The HD7970 is never going to be an HD6990 beater, but it should compare to HD5870 crossfire setups favourably. Remember, the HD5870 could take on the HD4870X2, but it could not best two GTX285s. Likewise, the GTX280 could take on the 9800GX2, but not two 8800 Ultras.
New generations can equal the previous generation's first iteration of a dual-GPU card, but never in history have they been able to best the previous generation's best dual-GPU card.

I went from two 8800 ultras to two gtx285s and the performance gain was so small I returned both gtx285s. I ended up finally replacing the two ultras with one 5870 and the performance improvement was substantial. The GTX280s & 285s were weak as fuck improvements compared to their 8800 ultra predecessor.

I went from two 8800 ultras to two gtx285s and the performance gain was so small I returned both gtx285s. I ended up finally replacing the two ultras with one 5870 and the performance improvement was substantial. The GTX280s & 285s were weak as fuck improvements compared to their 8800 ultra predecessor.

Not really, sounds like you had a CPU limitation problem. SLI does take a hit on your CPU performance, always has.

I hope the 7970 is more than 30% faster than the 6970, because if thats true, thats kinda disappointing. I expect it to be as fast as the 6990 and 590.

I would be happy with a 50-70% performance increase over the 6970.

Preferring engineering facts to anecdotes isn't being pedantic.
If you can't notice the difference in the real world then it doesn't matter which is why I'm saying he is being pedantic. Also I pointed out benches have been done over and over again on this subject and were only a google away, nothing I'm saying is shocking or anecdotal.

amdradeonhd7000seriesgbom9.jpg

Google Translate
amdzerocore2_dh_fx57mwo59.jpg

Google-Translate

2m5nearavjwp.png

n3olf.png

oh hell yes this taskbar positioning thing is a deal maker for me

Wait a sec, that picture shows 3 different monitors of 3 different sizes in Eyefinity? Does that mean you can now run Eyefinity on monitors of different resolution? :eek: Is this new, or have you been able to do it for a while and I just missed it?

Wait a sec, that picture shows 3 different monitors of 3 different sizes in Eyefinity? Does that mean you can now run Eyefinity on monitors of different resolution? :eek: Is this new, or have you been able to do it for a while and I just missed it?

You can always run eyefinity with different monitors, however what we havent been able to do as far is to scale it to the other monitors properly.
so now it seems they adapt to the other screens to support the main monitors resolution.

Wow, i if these can actually adapt different resolutions to different size monitors in Eyefinity, I'm sold. 20x30x20" with all monitors at max res would be perfect.

Frack, this is impressive just by looking at the slides.
  • Eyefinity support with odd-sized monitors. Win!
  • Multiple independent audio streams! That's going to be handy with Skype. One window with Skype, the other watching a video or chat with someone else.
  • Better power savings in Crossfire mode also.
Really impressed with this AMD. This looks more promising than whatever that processor you released some time ago.

You can always run eyefinity with different monitors, however what we havent been able to do as far is to scale it to the other monitors properly.
so now it seems they adapt to the other screens to support the main monitors resolution.

Yeah, I know you can have different monitors of the same size but the same resolution, but that doesn't help me with my 24" 1920x1080 monitor, 20" 1680x1050 screen and 24" 1920x1200 screen :p If this supports Eyefinity on different resolution monitors I'll be very happy.

Size comparison, scaled using the PCI-e connector as reference:

69707970.jpg

That has to be fake. Anyone expecting that kind of performance gain is going to be disappointed.

60% faster than a GTX580 is slightly optimistic given the rumored SP count, but it's not entirely out of line either.

60% faster than a GTX580 is slightly optimistic given the rumored SP count, but it's not entirely out of line either.

Yeah, the graphs are quite deceptively scaled, its actually only saying 40-50% faster in most games.

Some more news from Fud.

In 3DMark 11

We managed to score some fresh info on the performance of AMD's upcoming Radeon HD 7970 card. Of course, as it was the case with previous performance figures we wrote about, these are only 3DMark 11 figures and are done with the first "usable" driver, but gives at least some insight about the performance that can only get better once the final driver shows up.

When compared to the HD 6970, the HD 7970 is around 50 percent faster in 3DMark 11 Extreme test. It scores around 2800 points while the HD 6970 can get up to around 1800 points. The HD 6990 scores around 3400 points in the same test, but according to our sources, HD 7970 is more than happy with a good OC that draws the card an inch away from the HD 6990. The previously reported 30ish percent was probably taken from 3DMark 11 Entry setting test where all the cards are closer in performance.

We were also told about the 3DMark 11 Performance setting performance that ends up on par with the HD 6990 but we aren't sure if these are with or without OC.

These numbers also mean that the HD 7970 ends up faster than the Nvidia GTX 590 in some cases. Of course, as always, take these numbers with a grain of salt as final driver could change a thing or two, but we guess that we'll know for sure on 22nd of Dec

http://fudzilla.com/graphics/item/25259-radeon-hd-7970-close-to-hd-6990

Well if it's true that it's that much faster, it's pretty impressive. I just hope to god they come out with solid drivers this time. Because it's going to be crucial this time around. If they have every other base covered (performance, power consumption, efficiency, noise, features, price/performance) then drivers are going to be the most important because there will be a lot of people buying these cards, and the last thing AMD needs is to have people experiencing flickering textures, crossfire problems, instability in games, etc

I'm not sure what "Multiple independent audio streams" is supposed to mean, as I can obviously already have multiple audio devices going simultaneously without issue (ex: Ventrilo, Mumble, Foobar2000, and a game).

Is this talking about people who use their ghetto LCD speakers being able to have each LCD playing different audio via HDMI? If so can you say *yawn*?

I'm not sure what "Multiple independent audio streams" is supposed to mean, as I can obviously already have multiple audio devices going simultaneously without issue (ex: Ventrilo, Mumble, Foobar2000, and a game).

Is this talking about people who use their ghetto LCD speakers being able to have each LCD playing different audio via HDMI? If so can you say *yawn*?

My first thought is 3-6 monitors each with separate persons playing same game each having separate video and audio pertaining where they are at. Lan party revisited on a single computer. I can't see how that will be used much if the case but could make for some awesome demo's. What software will support it is ? Maybe cheap way of doing surround sound using cheapo LCD speakers ;).

That has to be fake. Anyone expecting that kind of performance gain is going to be disappointed.

I have no own experience, but I'll translate a post about this same picture:

"Don't take so seriously those propagandacharts. It was the same case with the Bulldozer, it seem'd really good in similar charts. That 1,6 x GTX580 power CAN be the truth in the best case, but not necessarily as a "constant power".

Maybe we'll see.. :D

True, if those are indeed fake, do you have proof that it will not be that fast? I am open to anything but even if you are right, how can you be so sure without having any valid proof.

Back