AMD 7000 series specs leaked

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by CIB24, Nov 25, 2011.

1. GreenGoose

GreenGoose [H]ard|Gawd

Lol. Agreed. I have GTX 580's in SLI and I'm ready for an upgrade! I wish Kepler was sooner but I'll go AMD this round.

2. addictedto60fps

addictedto60fps [H]ard|Gawd

Skyrim and BF3 aren't very taxing games. Play some more taxing games and then you'll get the itch to upgrade. :p Joking, of course.

3. Wolfkin

Wolfkin [H]ard|Gawd

Yes I do realize it's a new architecture and that our previous perception of the corelation of transistors and stream processors won't apply in the same way anymore.
    Nevertheless if the numbers are correct we have around 70% more transistors and around 33% more stream prossesors. That means these 'new' stream processesors need to be 50-75% faster to justify the large amount of transistors and high price they'll bring, at least if we expect this new card to be 50% or so faster than 6970.
    I have a hard time seeing AMD managed to get that much improvement from the stream processors, rop's and so on, numbers just don't add up with what you would expect performancewise for now which leads me to suspect we don't have correct numbers yet.

All I wanted was to make people think a little and not just take everything as truth yet, we simply don't have all the facts.

4. Haiku214

Haiku214 [H]ard|Gawd

5. flippin_waffles

flippin_waffles Limp Gawd

6. siliconnerd

siliconnerd [H]ard|Gawd

7. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

LOL the same article says it will be faster than 6990 and gtx 590 if you read the whole thing. It is big giant fail of an article. I can't believe some people don't know what they are writing.

it will keep up with and beat 6990 and gtx 590 and it will be 30% faster than hd 6970. WTF?

8. Forceman

Forceman [H]ardForum Junkie

9. samuelmorris

samuelmorris [H]ardness Supreme

Well, 'settings floored' meaning 'a couple of settings turned off' then yes, but even considering that, I'd be tempted to agree. Games like BF3 and Skyrim are not the reason to be upgrading. There's plenty out there that is a reason to upgrade though, it's just if you don't play those particular games, you have no need to. Also consider situations of games on the permanent no-crossfire list, one HD6970 may not be enough to max those out. One HD7970 however, may very well cut the mustard.

10. Essential

Essential n00b

Really looking forward for these series to pop-out! Only few days and the first releases should be out. I think it's impossible to get these before January. Do you have experience about the "paper"-releases. I mean, how is it possible to get this card from the first small release? Normal guy has the change of 0% ?

11. ChronoDetector

ChronoDetector 2[H]4U

I hope the 7970 is more than 30% faster than the 6970, because if thats true, thats kinda disappointing. I expect it to be as fast as the 6990 and 590.

12. samuelmorris

It will be, the tweaktown article is wrong. If a card was going to be released December 22nd, why would the NDA lift be three weeks later? 50% will be about right.

What I want to know, what have they done to get the idle board power down to 3W? That's low enough to run semi-passive (and I would hope that if this is true, that is actually how the cards operate [I have my doubts]).

The HD7970 is never going to be an HD6990 beater, but it should compare to HD5870 crossfire setups favourably. Remember, the HD5870 could take on the HD4870X2, but it could not best two GTX285s. Likewise, the GTX280 could take on the 9800GX2, but not two 8800 Ultras.
    New generations can equal the previous generation's first iteration of a dual-GPU card, but never in history have they been able to best the previous generation's best dual-GPU card.

13. l88bastard

l88bastard 2[H]4U

I went from two 8800 ultras to two gtx285s and the performance gain was so small I returned both gtx285s. I ended up finally replacing the two ultras with one 5870 and the performance improvement was substantial. The GTX280s & 285s were weak as fuck improvements compared to their 8800 ultra predecessor.

14. samuelmorris

Not really, sounds like you had a CPU limitation problem. SLI does take a hit on your CPU performance, always has.

15. l88bastard

l88bastard 2[H]4U

16. RadXge

RadXge 2[H]4U

I would be happy with a 50-70% performance increase over the 6970.

17. mesyn191

mesyn191 2[H]4U

If you can't notice the difference in the real world then it doesn't matter which is why I'm saying he is being pedantic. Also I pointed out benches have been done over and over again on this subject and were only a google away, nothing I'm saying is shocking or anecdotal.

18. gigatexal

gigatexal [H]ardness Supreme

oh hell yes this taskbar positioning thing is a deal maker for me

19. Tudz

Tudz [H]ardness Supreme

Wait a sec, that picture shows 3 different monitors of 3 different sizes in Eyefinity? Does that mean you can now run Eyefinity on monitors of different resolution? :eek: Is this new, or have you been able to do it for a while and I just missed it?

20. Flopper

Flopper [H]ard|Gawd

amd often spell nda stuff wrong to find leaks.

seems like pretty good stuff is coming

21. addictedto60fps

addictedto60fps [H]ard|Gawd

Interesting. This then must mean these slides are legit, then, no? :)

22. Lorien

Lorien [H]ardness Supreme

Those are legit. Here's a few more:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Source

23. Flopper

Flopper [H]ard|Gawd

You can always run eyefinity with different monitors, however what we havent been able to do as far is to scale it to the other monitors properly.
    so now it seems they adapt to the other screens to support the main monitors resolution.

24. harmattan

harmattan [H]ardness Supreme

Wow, i if these can actually adapt different resolutions to different size monitors in Eyefinity, I'm sold. 20x30x20" with all monitors at max res would be perfect.

25. octoberasian

octoberasian 2[H]4U

Frack, this is impressive just by looking at the slides.
    • Eyefinity support with odd-sized monitors. Win!
    • Multiple independent audio streams! That's going to be handy with Skype. One window with Skype, the other watching a video or chat with someone else.
    • Better power savings in Crossfire mode also.
    Really impressed with this AMD. This looks more promising than whatever that processor you released some time ago.

26. Tudz

Tudz [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah, I know you can have different monitors of the same size but the same resolution, but that doesn't help me with my 24" 1920x1080 monitor, 20" 1680x1050 screen and 24" 1920x1200 screen :p If this supports Eyefinity on different resolution monitors I'll be very happy.

27. 455olds

455olds Gawd

28. Lorien

Lorien [H]ardness Supreme

Size comparison, scaled using the PCI-e connector as reference:

[​IMG]

29. Yoda4561

Yoda4561 Gawd

60% faster than a GTX580 is slightly optimistic given the rumored SP count, but it's not entirely out of line either.

30. Tudz

Tudz [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah, the graphs are quite deceptively scaled, its actually only saying 40-50% faster in most games.

31. Robin B

Robin B Limp Gawd

Some more news from Fud.

http://fudzilla.com/graphics/item/25259-radeon-hd-7970-close-to-hd-6990

32. DarkSynergy

DarkSynergy n00b

Well if it's true that it's that much faster, it's pretty impressive. I just hope to god they come out with solid drivers this time. Because it's going to be crucial this time around. If they have every other base covered (performance, power consumption, efficiency, noise, features, price/performance) then drivers are going to be the most important because there will be a lot of people buying these cards, and the last thing AMD needs is to have people experiencing flickering textures, crossfire problems, instability in games, etc

33. risqu3

risqu3 [H]ard|Gawd

im in for 2. this + ivy bridge will be my next setup.

34. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm not sure what "Multiple independent audio streams" is supposed to mean, as I can obviously already have multiple audio devices going simultaneously without issue (ex: Ventrilo, Mumble, Foobar2000, and a game).

Is this talking about people who use their ghetto LCD speakers being able to have each LCD playing different audio via HDMI? If so can you say *yawn*?

35. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

My first thought is 3-6 monitors each with separate persons playing same game each having separate video and audio pertaining where they are at. Lan party revisited on a single computer. I can't see how that will be used much if the case but could make for some awesome demo's. What software will support it is ? Maybe cheap way of doing surround sound using cheapo LCD speakers ;).

36. Essential

Essential n00b

I have no own experience, but I'll translate a post about this same picture:

"Don't take so seriously those propagandacharts. It was the same case with the Bulldozer, it seem'd really good in similar charts. That 1,6 x GTX580 power CAN be the truth in the best case, but not necessarily as a "constant power".

Maybe we'll see.. :D

37. Piotrsama

Piotrsama Limp Gawd

That's why they wrote UP TO, it's already implied.

38. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

True, if those are indeed fake, do you have proof that it will not be that fast? I am open to anything but even if you are right, how can you be so sure without having any valid proof.