AMD 6850 and 6870 released, October 18

So let me get this straight.. AMD is using the name 6870 to compete with the 5850? .. that's pretty strange.

So let me get this straight.. AMD is using the name 6870 to compete with the 5850? .. that's pretty strange.

Pretty much. They're calling what should be the 67xx cards 68xx, while Caymen(the actual Cypress replacement) will be 6950 and 6970. The dual-chip card will be the 6990. I still haven't see anything to explain why they're supposedly doing this.

Last edited:
Ya, who ever thought up AMD's naming scheme this round should be fired.

Still not Nvidia annoying, but annoying none the less.

Pretty much. They're calling what should be the 67xx cards 68xx, while Caymen(the actual Cypress replacement) will be 6950 and 6970. The dual-chip card will be the 6990. I still haven't see anything to explain why they're supposedly doing this.

Probably because all the leaked slides show what should be called the 67xx series being called the 67xx series.

Since there is no logical reason for ATI to call the 6770 the 6870, and the leaked slides show it being called a 6770, the rumors that it's actually going to be called a 6870 really don't hold up well, especially since none of them attempt to provide any explanation whatsoever. Thus, IMO, the weird naming just sounds far too stupid to be true.

My bet is we'll see a 6750 and 6770 first (Barts), followed by the 6850 and 6870 (Caymen), and the dual GPU stuff will still be the 6970.

They are delaying the high-end part due to competition I believe.

There must be a reason why nVidia have gone quiet about their next generation..:confused: ... there should be a announcement on this pretty soon though...:D

Probably because all the leaked slides show what should be called the 67xx series being called the 67xx series.

Since there is no logical reason for ATI to call the 6770 the 6870, and the leaked slides show it being called a 6770, the rumors that it's actually going to be called a 6870 really don't hold up well, especially since none of them attempt to provide any explanation whatsoever. Thus, IMO, the weird naming just sounds far too stupid to be true.

My bet is we'll see a 6750 and 6770 first (Barts), followed by the 6850 and 6870 (Caymen), and the dual GPU stuff will still be the 6970.

I really hope you're right. AMD changing it's number scheme this way does seem asinine, but I can't doubt it out-right. Companies will do some strange things is they think it might help make a little more profit.

I really hope you're right. AMD changing it's number scheme this way does seem asinine, but I can't doubt it out-right. Companies will do some strange things is they think it might help make a little more profit.

still remember 8800 Ultra outperform 9800 GTX.....

So if anyone had to guess was that old pic showing a low profile half height card a Barts Pro? Or will we not see any of those types of cards til 66XX series debuts? I've just never seen any midrange cards released in that form factor.

I think most GPU fans are excited.

At least AMD are giving us SOMETHING to be excited about - I wish I could say the same about NVIDIA.

:(

Has anyone considered that maybe these rumors that the 6800 series will be launching first now, and slight delay to the launch date, might actually mean that the 6800 series is now launching BEFORE the 6700 series? Could Caymen actually be coming first now?

Has anyone considered that maybe these rumors that the 6800 series will be launching first now, and slight delay to the launch date, might actually mean that the 6800 series is now launching BEFORE the 6700 series? Could Caymen actually be coming first now?

I highly doubt it. In China, there's a traditional festival going on this week roughly time-wise called the Mid-autum festival which everyone in most companies gets 1 week off and most employees will travel to their hometown and visit their family/spend time with relatives.

Think of it as like a week long Thanksgiving event. If anything, I'd say the 1 week delay would more likely be the that some marketing/scheduling guy forgot about the holiday and/or the company forgot to inform him and now it becomes 'ohh well, we'll just push it back a week',

So if anyone had to guess was that old pic showing a low profile half height card a Barts Pro? Or will we not see any of those types of cards til 66XX series debuts? I've just never seen any midrange cards released in that form factor.
If I understood correctly, that was the 6300 "Caicos" chip, not a Barts part.

If I understood correctly, that was the 6300 "Caicos" chip, not a Barts part.

shhhh Dont burst my bubble so soon..

I would love to see mid range chips released in a low profile form factor. Could start a new rash of mITX cases & mobo's coming out.

The VR zone link is just a rehash of this past week's articles. It confirms the confusion the new proposed naming scheme is causing by saying mid range is delayed by launching 68xx first when the mid range could very well be 68xx. It says Nvidia is ready to counter with GTX 475 and 455 which is similar to that other weird article claiming top to bottom in 3 months where ppl interpretted as nV refresh in 3 months... what a mess rumour reporting has become.

At the very least the 455 will be in a weird position since the Barts > GTX 460 > 5770 > 5750 > GTS 450. It's a complete miss since I can't see the 455 being better than the GTX 460 and Barts is likely stronger than the 460. If the 475 is to combat Barts, then what will combat Caymen? 485?

The VR zone "article" screams Nvidia PR. Look at the second headline "Nvidia ready to counter-attack" rofl. They haven't even finished launching their first generation Directx 11 cards.

I agree COMPLETELY wood screw article.

They want more clicks so they invent more BS on their own.

I for one don't believe its BS. TSMC seems to still be having issues with 40nm. That or the chip designs are having issues. Either way I doubt there is enough room to produce the 5xxx, 6xxx, and GTX4xx cards. More so if its true that they have only one plant at 40nm right now. 80K might sound like a lot, but thats per quarter, and doesn't take yields into account. I've said it before over on toms, I don't see the GPU issues getting better until GF starts making chips. That or the second plant comes online.

As for the naming scheme problem, there is still time for AMD to change their minds. 67xx for mid, 68xx for perfomance, and 69xx for the dual cards. No reason to switch now.

VR-Zone might as well change it's logo to green, just trying to help hock some more GTX460 before they become obsolete.

I for one don't believe its BS. TSMC seems to still be having issues with 40nm. That or the chip designs are having issues. Either way I doubt there is enough room to produce the 5xxx, 6xxx, and GTX4xx cards. More so if its true that they have only one plant at 40nm right now. 80K might sound like a lot, but thats per quarter, and doesn't take yields into account. I've said it before over on toms, I don't see the GPU issues getting better until GF starts making chips. That or the second plant comes online.

As for the naming scheme problem, there is still time for AMD to change their minds. 67xx for mid, 68xx for perfomance, and 69xx for the dual cards. No reason to switch now.
You are misinformed or purposely ignorant. AMD had no trouble selling over 16 million 40nm Directx 11 chips. Also AMD didn't blame TSMC for yield issues because they were unable to engineer their chips around those issues, Nvidia did.
You are also misinformed about the name and sound more like a PR hack desperately trying to keep that rumor alive. AMD hasn't announced any official names, so whatever you or anyone thinks they should be called is utterly and completely irrelevant.

I for one don't believe its BS. TSMC seems to still be having issues with 40nm.

Is that the feeling you got when you last visited the TSMC? :rolleyes:

ATi said that they were satisfied with their output back in December of 2009. The 16 million figure that Lorien quoted was from July of this year. TSMC said publicly that 40nm yields were approximately at the same yields as the mature 65nm process in January of this year.

Either way I doubt there is enough room to produce the 5xxx, 6xxx, and GTX4xx cards.

Ignoring everything else you said, why on earth would AMD keep producing 5xxx series chips? I wouldn't be surprised if they've already stopped making 57xx and 58xx series chips (or even stopped a month or two ago)

So about the release date, is there any more indicators that it will really be on October 18?

That is just a reference to the same VRzone article I posted on page 7 and is already being discussed above.

At this point I think ATI is dishing out phony info to throw people off the real trail. We just have to wait and see.

i have a feeling its people jumping on the rumor mill bandwagon trying to get a few extra site hits for ad revenue then its AMD spreading fud.. but we'll find out in less then 36 hours.. :p

My 4890 is definitely getting retired... just a question of whether to grab a 68xx upfront or stick it out for a 69xx part, which'll hopefully be available in November. Haven't upgraded my system in a year, a new video card will be just what the doctor ordered. Exciting times!

Back