AMD 6850 and 6870 released, October 18

At this point no layman would even remember the 9800Pro, and thats the difference ;)

And as for this, well thats exactly what they're doing, just putting the generation number in front, so how is what you want any better? They've actually been fairly logical in their progression: 7x00, 8x00, 9x00, Xx00 (X being 10 in roman numerals, so its basically 10x00..), X1x00, then dropping the lead X and carrying on from there.

Naming schemes kinda suck don't they? The leaked slide is waay more likely to be the right designation anyway

Because if this keeps up, like you said, we are going to have the XI850 in a few years. I just think it is easier for people who go into Best Buy and buy a video card in a box to tell the difference between the Radeon 5 - 850 and the Radeon 6 - 850. Not that it will hold true if it does change.

Yeah, they do suck. I could only imagine having limited computer knowledge and trying to pick out a CPU and GPU these days.

Yeah, they do suck. I could only imagine having limited computer knowledge and trying to pick out a CPU and GPU these days.

Indeed. Look an amd 930 and an intel 930. I guess the amd must be just as good lets buy that one since is much cheaper?

Those slides have 2 sources. One from Chiphell which I have not heard any major nonfanboi accusations of falsifying info yet.

To be honest I am dumbfounded how people are actually believing that crap that says 6770 is "Low end" What nonsence. Likely pushed forward initially by Nvidiots trying to ruin hype for the 6x series and push people towards bad buys of GTX 450s and 460s

Guess I'll be hanging onto my trusty 5870 for a little while longer if this is the case. I was hoping the 6870 would offer some 30% performance increase, but with the new naming scheme it looks like it will actually be a slower card than what I have now.

Can't wait for some actual reviews to shed light on the matter. May just sit out the whole 6xxx generation altogether.

Don't believe that pile of poo.. AMD knows damn well that review after review will say "AMD fails to live up to expectations 6870 slower than whatever" It will be a PR disaster even if the price is right.

Instead at under 200 the 6770 will directly compete with the 460. 6870 will be a monster.

Specs included!

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/16943...870_are_go_to_launch_on_october_18/index.html

Looks good, can't wait to see what they can do with a non-stripped down SP model.

Pulling the same performance from 960 SP's as the current 1400 SP's use... impressive. But, what could a 1400, 1600, 2000SP+ model do???

;)

Another misinformed article by a website outside of the loop of real information. It looks like they haven't even been invited to the press event or they don't know the difference between a press briefing and a launch.

Didn't AMD already say that the 68xx series was going to be the value line like the 57xx was?
And the equivalent of the 5970 would be the 6990?

I could have sworn I read this weeks ago.

Didn't AMD already say that the 68xx series was going to be the value line like the 57xx was?

I can't imagine AMD putting out a 68XX series that's a value line. I can fully believe them putting out a 67XX series as a value line though.

zoolander-mugatu-crazy-pills.jpg

that was a rumor and so far looks like it was false.

Looks true to me.
They will release their enthusiast cards in November.
We are just seeing the value ones now.

The "Value" is the 6770 and 6750. The cards pushed forward to fight the 460 why push out your expensive big boys earlier when your competitor is eating your 5830's lunch?

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/19606

The 6870 is a rebadged 6770. This is why it performs like a 5850.

The 6970 will be what the 6870 should have been.

I think AMD wanted to have a 6870 available for the holiday sales season and this was their way of doing that. The 6970 may not be here until the end of the year or early next year.

Is anyone else interested that the mainstream cards now use a 256 bit memory bus? 1920x1080/1200 4aa/8af looks like it will be the standard now with this push.

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/19606

The 6870 is a rebadged 6770. This is why it performs like a 5850.

The 6970 will be what the 6870 should have been.

I think AMD wanted to have a 6870 available for the holiday sales season and this was their way of doing that. The 6970 may not be here until the end of the year or early next year.

Since the 6770 doesn't exist yet. Nothing can be a re-branded version of it.

Again just more rumor, it also says the 6770 will just be a re-branded 5770. Which would be shooting themselves in the foot big time. The 5770 isn't even the same architecture of the real 6xxx cards.

They actually really have a new architecture. Why wouldn't they call Barts 67xx and Cayman 68xx and maintain sanity and clarity. Why invite derision by not only breaking the naming scheme, but also by a misleading re-brand of the older architecture with the new generation name.

Not saying that it won't happen, but again, I am hoping AMD isn't developing a case of world class stupid.

That article claims that they have "Sources" telling them that AMD is about to pull the rebranding game on desktop cards!

That has got to be the worst rumor I have heard in months. People are trying their best to run with this new "AMD is about to screw over their customers" twist. After the slides showing the 6770 to be a much better project were posted by multiple sources with one being Chiphell which has ALOT to lose if this turns out to be the case. They get most of their traffic from the leaks they post and if people group them with Charlie it would be extremely damaging to that Site's PR.

So I don't believe it. They are scraping at the barrel to make a "Story" out of a rumor. Of couse the fake stuff gets alot more attention because it is an easy way to trash AMD. "Rebrands, changed specs" It is an Nvidiot editor's wet dream speculation.

This is old and already debunked. The Press presentation PDF is on the hands of a few people who have been leaking pieces of it here and there if you know where to look and how to read more than one language or click google translate.
confidential237549.jpg

Since the 6770 doesn't exist yet. Nothing can be a re-branded version of it.

Again just more rumor, it also says the 6770 will just be a re-branded 5770. Which would be shooting themselves in the foot big time. The 5770 isn't even the same architecture of the real 6xxx cards.

They actually really have a new architecture. Why wouldn't they call Barts 67xx and Cayman 68xx and maintain sanity and clarity. Why invite derision by not only breaking the naming scheme, but also by a misleading re-brand of the older architecture with the new generation name.

Not saying that it won't happen, but again, I am hoping AMD isn't developing a case of world class stupid.

It would be one of the worst marketing mistakes in a long while. People "Trust" AMD not to rebrand or to mislead. To trash that to try to sell a few cards to a few suckers will cost them alot more as people like me run for Nvidia.

No I am serious. It is either the 6770 or the GTX 460 for me. If the 6770 is a rebrand or is not a significant performance upgrade from the 5770 then I will get the 460.

But I am not worried that I will have to go green because I know AMD is not that stupid. This is FUD trying to break Hype. Plain and simple.

This is old and already debunked. The Press presentation PDF is on the hands of a few people who have been leaking pieces of it here and there if you know where to look and how to read more than one language or click google translate.

Thank you for posting that. ANOTHER slide that fits with the 6770 powerhouse theory.

I bet you wont find sites like Techreport changing their FUD tho. All they are missing is "early rumors" That some new driver causes your computer to turn into a Tribble. :eek:

Oh my geez the BS rumors have spread like wildfires. Overclock.net hardware news forum has the same 6850 6870 topic and few are there to counter the bullcrap being pushed and as a result a bunch of posters there are confused.

Can someone PLEASE post ALL 3 slides there which come from AMD press material to put that crap to rest?

Someone posted a video showing the MUCH more likely 6750 and 6770 specs and it got almost ignored.

LOL

People need to calm down - it's all part of the "close to launch craziness" that goes on.

There are no exact specs - or else AMD would list them on their site - right now, everything is a maybe, most sites are using each other as sources.

I also think, people don't want to believe AMD were able to get this much performance out of their ageing architecture - where NVIDIA debut double the transistors and get a scrape more performance out of it while bringing the heat from hell to the card.

Only a matter of weeks before we see who was "right" and who was "wrong".

LOL

People need to calm down - it's all part of the "close to launch craziness" that goes on.

There are no exact specs - or else AMD would list them on their site - right now, everything is a maybe, most sites are using each other as sources.

I also think, people don't want to believe AMD were able to get this much performance out of their ageing architecture - where NVIDIA debut double the transistors and get a scrape more performance out of it while bringing the heat from hell to the card.

Only a matter of weeks before we see who was "right" and who was "wrong".

Yep :) I see all the people running around with pots over their heads and laugh.

Looks like according to that article the 6870 will have 5850 level performance and will be competing against the GTX 460. so the 6850 then should have around 5830 level performance and replace the 5770. An incremental performance improvment for the midend to leapfrog Nvida.

6870 > GTX 460 ~ 199
6850 > GTS 450 ~ 129

It is going to be weird seeing a 6970 card that isn't dual gpu, but whatever. The names are all about marketing.

Looks like according to that article the 6870 will have 5850 level performance and will be competing against the GTX 460. so the 6850 then should have around 5830 level performance and replace the 5770. An incremental performance improvment for the midend to leapfrog Nvida.

6870 > GTX 460 ~ 199
6850 > GTS 450 ~ 129

It is going to be weird seeing a 6970 card that isn't dual gpu, but whatever. The names are all about marketing.

I'm going to quote myself here.
confidential237549.jpg

6870 > GTX 460 ~ 199
6850 > GTS 450 ~ 129

That just doesn't make any fucking sense...there's no reason for this...if it performs in the same class as previous *7*0 cards than why the fuck even bother naming it "870". That isn't going to do anything for them except make them look stupid and make the first cards "appear" underwhelming regardless.

They are planning to attack the 460's pricepoints as those cards are the biggest threat at the moment, there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't be 6770/6750. It falls in line with 4870/90 -> 5770. Uses less power, has 80-90% of the performance stock and comes with some nice enhancements.

It WILL be the 6770 Don't worry about the amount of fud tossed about. Even with a whole topic disproving that BS the person you quoted still managed to post that. WTF

For those skipping to the last page. The 6770 IS the competitor to the GTX 460 if you read somewhere otherwise for the next few weeks it is a site pushing Anti-AMD bullcrap.

The 6850 and 70 wont be out until later. And don't worry there is no way in hell they will become midrange.

http://www.nordichardware.se/testla...hd-6870-och-6850-lanseras-den-18-oktober.html
Claims the 6850 will be worse than a 5830. Either the rebadge article is correct or there is some really screwy information floating around out there.

I'm hoping that passive board that chiphell showed is not fake as that's what I'm most interested in.

Another site hopping on the "Post bullcrap about AMD" Bandwagon. There is no darn rebadge there is no way in hell AMD will push cards that cant beat their previous gen. The slides from multiple sites and videos show that the 6770 > 5850

Likely watermarking or stuff that could expose the leaker quickly removed. By itself it is suspect but it matches what the other 2 slides say and there is another posted at overclock which does it again.

The 6770 competes against the 460 no doubt about it.

http://fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20358-barts-xt-and-pro-to-replace-5800-series

For all you ppl saying 68xx will no doubt be performing better than 58xx, we now have a funny conclusion from FUD, while maintaing consistency with the +100 bump in naming scheme, we have Barts giving us crazy performance (XT > 5870 and Pro > 5850). We wish this were true, but I'd be happy if XT were around 5850 and priced really well.

Quoting Fudzilla that has had a pro-Nividia slant for the longest time now.

Speaking of slant even fud does not say Barts is 6850 6870 It says that barts will end up beating 5850 and maybe 5870 which is EXACTLY what the slides said.

Lets get it straight folks so these FUD sites stop getting free traffic from panicked folks.

6770 competes with GTX 460 It beats the 5850 and approaches the 5870. The 6850 and 6870 are going to be MONSTER cards.

Based on what I've read and seen, this is the best and simplest description of the new 6000 series cards that I've seen.

"6770 competes with GTX 460 It beats the 5850 and approaches the 5870. The 6850 and 6870 are going to be MONSTER cards"

Too bad that the top card for 2009/2010, the 5870, and now relegated to be the top "mid-ranged" card for 2010/2011. That's the way it goes.

From what I gather, the naming convention will be the same, and the 6870 will be the top single card (single GPU) contender.

Last edited:
Remember that AMD had to sacrifice performance and ability to cope with TSMC's 40nm failures. My card the 4770 told AMD early that they had to do something or have what ended up to be 1st gen Fermi on their hands.

40nm had plenty of oomph left in it and with the fixed yields it seems that AMD is taking it to the limit.

However, Remember that it is not a magical doubling of performance for free. The only reason they can do such a powerful 6770 is because they can afford the yields for its bigger die. However, As a result the 6770 will have a bigger power draw as will most of the 6x series it seems.

That will also impact the 6850 and 6870 so if you plan on running those in crossfire you MIGHT want to check your power supply first. It wont be fermi power draw but it will be higher.

I agree w/ this guess:

- HD 6870 (Cayman XT), 399-449 USD
- HD 6850 (Cayman Pro), 299-349 USD
- HD 6770 (Barts XT), 199-249 USD
- HD 6750 (Barts Pro), 149-199 USD

With the HD 6770 to compete and win the price/performance battle over the Nvidia GTX 460.

Cayman XT = 50% faster than 5870
Cayman Pro = 25% faster than 5870
Bart XT = between 5870 and 5850 performance
Bart Pro = slightly under 5850 performance

Last edited:
I Highly doubt the 6770 will be over 200USD that would be giving too much ground to Nvidia and also breaking the tradition of the 770 parts being under 200.

Remember the absurd prices and delays of the 5x were due to bad yields at TSMC. Not the case here.

I Highly doubt the 6770 will be over 200USD that would be giving too much ground to Nvidia and also breaking the tradition of the 770 parts being under 200.

Remember the absurd prices and delays of the 5x were due to bad yields at TSMC. Not the case here.

Ok, edited to reflect this:

- HD 6870 (Cayman XT), 399-449 USD
- HD 6850 (Cayman Pro), 299-349 USD
- HD 6770 (Barts XT), 199-249 USD
- HD 6750 (Barts Pro), 149-199 USD

With the HD 6770 to compete and win the price/performance battle over the Nvidia GTX 460.

Cayman XT = 50% faster than 5870
Cayman Pro = 25% faster than 5870
Bart XT = between 5870 and 5850 performance
Bart Pro = slightly under 5850 performance

Early release street prices may bounce up to the highter USD levels. The lower prices may represent the actual MSRP.

What do you think? Reality?

Back