AMD 6400 prices

ScretHate

[H]ard|Gawd
They have this at newegg for $280--just a little under a quadcore. Is AMD nuts with this kind of price? Not to mention it doesn't even come with a heatsink.

If you have AM2, don't overclock, and want the best there is, there is no other option. I'm sure they'll sell some.

Thats a crock of shit. Hey it's the best processor a am2 user can have lets jack the price!

Actually thats a damn good price for an AMD top end CPU. Think back to FX60 or X2 6000 a year ago then bitch about the price..... :D

The top intel's are way over that, why are you complaining?
The 6400+ is almost performance competitive (but not power competitive @ 125W vs 65W) with the E6750, and costs $75 more than the E6750 which includes a heatsink. You can't compare AMD's current high end desktop processor to Intel's high end because AMD has nothing that performs above the E6750, while Intel has several faster processors.

While most of the general public doesn't overclock and even some people here don't overclock, this is generally a community where people do overclock. So I don't understand why someone here would buy the top end of a CPU that has almost no overclocking headroom at a large price premium. The 5600+ and 6000+ have much better bang for the buck and have around the same overclocking limit.

Anyone else notice this is a reversal of the way things were two or so years ago? The top amd processor was less than the top intel processor, yet cost less.Now the roles seem reversed.

The top intel's are way over that, why are you complaining?
Because for the same price you could get a quadcore which would blow it out of the water. I think 185-200 would be a more suitable price, considering its performance.

If you don't want it, don't buy it. Stop whining. ;) When nobody buys it, the price will go down, or they will advance their line to better stuff.

So go buy one. I checked a "few" sites again to see what the 6400 was listed as and guess what? Most of the sites I checked didn't even have it listed yet. Will the price change? Probably. Should you continue to cry and whine? No, but you will.

I have a 6400+ in my shuttle xpc, I bought it because i figured the shuttle wouldn't oc that well. I found one for $230 so i didn't have to pay the 280 :)

I have a 6400+ in my shuttle xpc, I bought it because i figured the shuttle wouldn't oc that well. I found one for $230 so i didn't have to pay the 280 :)

Where did you find it for $230 and does it have an unlocked multiplier like a couple of the reviewers stated at the 'Egg? If I can get one at that price with an unlocked multi, I'm there! :cool:

Back