AMD 64 3700+ benchmarking my 8800 GT?

Hello,

I bought the 8800 GT because I was expecting 35 FPS for high settings and 1280xwhatever in Crysis.

However, I only get about 30 FPS for medium-high settings on 800x600.

Is this because my AMD 64 3700+ is bottlenecking my GFX card?

Should I get a dual core AMD?

I also have only 1 gig of memory, the minimum requirement.

Any recommendations?

I'm also considering reinstalling XP since I think there's some performance loss.

For instance, sound only comes from the right side (both speakers, but I'm deaf on the left side in games)

well an 8800gt is sorta of pointless if the rest of your system isnt up to par. you need a dual core cpu and 2 gigs of memory to get the most out of modern games. how could you not know this??:confused:

You are being limited by the rest of your system. With the way prices are now, you can upgrade for pretty cheap.

There are some cheap stuff in the For Sale section. 680i motherboards, C2D processors, etc. You can get a intel c2d for about 80-140! Even memory is on the cheap. Lots of places have 2x1gb for $50. I just got my crucial ballistix 2gb for 49 at buy.com.

Maybe it's your RAM?

I'm currently splurging on some upgrades, but at the moment I'm running with a AMD 64 3800+, Radeon X850XT, and 2 GB of Corsair PC3200 on an A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo. Windows XP.

In Crysis, at 1280x800, with all settings on Medium (and a few on High), I'm getting 25-30 FPS in a very smooth and playable way. The first time I hit any stutter was at that point where you exit the bubble and meet up with a group of soldiers in an abandoned group of structures... and then all those flyin' tentacle-y blue things keep assaulting and assaulting and etc. It was by no means a slideshow, but it was a bit jerky from time to time.

Actually, I'm surprised how well it's running on here. Maybe not having SM3.0 on my X850XT has something to do with it?

Another gig of RAM and an X2 4xxx+ and you'll be golden. (overclock the CPU/RAM to maxmize the 8800GT) At low resolutions like you're playing you'll need all the CPU power you can muster.

If you can do an entire system upgrade like mentioned above that would be ideal.

At a minimum, upgrade your memory to at least 2GB. That will help with load times (in games) and should help with running larger programs.

Your processor has a good single-core speed, but yeah, I would definitely get a dual core just to be safe. Especially with your video card.

Back