AMD 600-Series Chipset Expected to Land Before 2020 Ends

erek

[H]F Junkie
Darn it. X570 already obsolete!! And I just upgraded :(

"ASMedia is also cooking up a USB 4 controller chip, which it plans to commercialize this year.

According to DigiTimes, the U.S., China trade war resulted in clients turning to ASMedia for "packet conversion ICs and USB 3.2 host controller chips for server CPUs," so its revenue is expected to grow "gradually" throughout the next three years. It pegged its net profits as growing 13.48% year-on-year during the first three quarters of 2019. "

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-600-chipset-release-ryzen-4000

Nice. Don't really intend to upgrade my platform again until DDR5 RAM is out though.

I've been upgrading every cycle since Ryzen 1 and need to slow it down.

This makes sense... Zen 3 is likely the last AM4, and probably x570 will be the top end board for it. Zen 4 we know is not far behind Zen 3, a x670 wiht DDR and PCIe 5 seems pretty logical.

This means AMD can be selling Zen 3 for low - mid range... with the APU zen 3s coming out in 2021. Leaving Zen 4 as their high end many core part. Should help them bump the margin on both Zen 3 and Zen 4.

Yeah, we knew b550s were coming soon, prbably going to be launched with Zen 3. It bumps PCIe revision on the southbridge to 3.0, but is cheaper and lower-power than the 4.0 in x570.

They might just jump the series to b650 instead?

Hopefully it won't need a fan. Specifically bought an X470 while there is still stock, just to avoid a tiny proprietary you'll-never-find-a-replacement fan.

Hopefully it won't need a fan. Specifically bought an X470 while there is still stock, just to avoid a tiny proprietary you'll-never-find-a-replacement fan.

Anecdote incoming: I've had an Asus WS Pro X50-Ace since about day 2 of availability. I can't even hear the chipset fan over the sound of my AIO. The only way to tell it's running is to monitor it with HWInfo64 or whatever.

This is great news, if it is accurate. Mind you, I am on an X370, B350 and B450 board at this time but, I love seeing the rapidity and advancements that AMD is accomplishing. Pedal to the metal!

AMD has the depreciation crown and will keep the petal to the metal.

Wen will we see $150 3700X's?

My chipset fan never kicks on except for when I first boot up or if I manually turn the fan on for test. Your fears are misplaced.

As someone that has repaired countless thousands of machines, I do tend to err on the side of paranoid rofl

I'm glad it doesn't fire up much. Are you using a pcie 4 SSD? Wondering why its even there

EDIT: Apparently my fears aren't totally misplaced. Threads on Reddit claim it wildly varies from one X570 model to the next, even in the same brand. Some users it runs full time, or most of the time. Others almost not at all. Reminds me of laptops

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbh back in the day those things were everywhere. I only recall having an issue with one once, and it was an easy fix. Might be a little harder now, but a small 40mm fan, a screw driver, knife, and tweezers I mean zip ties and you should be able to fix it

As someone that has repaired countless thousands of machines, I do tend to err on the side of paranoid rofl

I'm glad it doesn't fire up much. Are you using a pcie 4 SSD? Wondering why its even there

EDIT: Apparently my fears aren't totally misplaced. Threads on Reddit claim it wildly varies from one X570 model to the next, even in the same brand. Some users it runs full time, or most of the time. Others almost not at all. Reminds me of laptops

It is dependent on the bios. Gigabyte added a silent mode to their bios (I'm using x570 Aorus Pro), the fan is virtually never on for me and temps are fine (It is in a corsair 900D with good airflow though).

X570 doesn't really need such overkill cooling. Der8auer did a power consumption test on the pch last year and concluded that a simple heatsink that would easily fit on all of the boards (and not block video cards) would have been fine. Also, notice how power consumption DROPPED when he went from pcie 3 to 4 on the nvme drive, it's not the cause of the increased power consumption. AMD must have felt that going up toward 10 watts would be an issue in systems with poor airflow and forced in the fans.

ofc.. nvme raid 0 would probably bump that power up even higher :p

hopefully the fan is done away with for x670 either way

Last edited:
It is dependent on the bios. Gigabyte added a silent mode to their bios (I'm using x570 Aorus Pro), the fan is virtually never on for me and temps are fine (It is in a corsair 900D with good airflow though).

X570 doesn't really need such overkill cooling. Der8auer did a power consumption test on the pch last year and concluded that a simple heatsink that would easily fit on all of the boards (and not block video cards) would have been fine. Also, notice how power consumption DROPPED when he went from pcie 3 to 4 on the nvme drive, it's not the cause of the increased power consumption. AMD must have felt that going up toward 10 watts would be an issue in systems with poor airflow and forced in the fans.

ofc.. nvme raid 0 would probably bump that power up even higher :p

hopefully the fan is done away with for x670 either way

That is good information. Thanks for that

it was only in the initial release bios where some boards did not have the slient mode option in the bios.. pretty much all of them added the silent option with the agesa 1.0.0.3 bios. the fans only there because the chipset doesn't have the ability to down clock it's self so there's a small chance that the chipset could potentially have a runaway overheating issue(e.g. if you disabled auto restart on a BSOD there's a chance your chipset can get pegged at 100% for the duration of the BSOD) and thus AMD required board partners to install the fan. other than that with silent mode on the only time the fan runs is for about 2 seconds during boot up.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
This makes sense... Zen 3 is likely the last AM4, and probably x570 will be the top end board for it. Zen 4 we know is not far behind Zen 3, a x670 wiht DDR and PCIe 5 seems pretty logical.

This means AMD can be selling Zen 3 for low - mid range... with the APU zen 3s coming out in 2021. Leaving Zen 4 as their high end many core part. Should help them bump the margin on both Zen 3 and Zen 4.
PCI-E 5 ain't happening with 670...

PCI-E 5 ain't happening with 670...

The spec has been out for a year now... and I am sure Intel at this point is planing to skip PCIe4 rather then release something 2 years late. They will probably just got to 5... which means AMD will probably go there as well. Who knows though speculation. Based on the rumored quick roll out of Zen 3... and Zen 4 though it seems pretty logical. Zen 3 being compatible with 570/550 (and perhaps 470/450). Zen 4 will be their DDR 5 part... which is going to require new boards and probably a new socket. So it would make sense to me that they are holding the 550 boards for the Zen 3 launch as I believe AMD is planning to segment the market. Low-Mid range will be Zen 3 on B550 with PICe4 and DDR 4. High end consumer parts new socket 670 boards with DDR 5 and I wouldn't doubt PCIe 5 to again beat Intel to the punch.

The spec has been out for a year now... and I am sure Intel at this point is planing to skip PCIe4 rather then release something 2 years late. They will probably just got to 5... which means AMD will probably go there as well. Who knows though speculation. Based on the rumored quick roll out of Zen 3... and Zen 4 though it seems pretty logical. Zen 3 being compatible with 570/550 (and perhaps 470/450). Zen 4 will be their DDR 5 part... which is going to require new boards and probably a new socket. So it would make sense to me that they are holding the 550 boards for the Zen 3 launch as I believe AMD is planning to segment the market. Low-Mid range will be Zen 3 on B550 with PICe4 and DDR 4. High end consumer parts new socket 670 boards with DDR 5 and I wouldn't doubt PCIe 5 to again beat Intel to the punch.
I could phathom Intel going direct to PCI-E 5 to save face. But I don't see that happening either. I think both will be on 4 with the Next gen. We'll see. Only time will tell.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
My chipset fan never kicks on except for when I first boot up or if I manually turn the fan on for test. Your fears are misplaced.

I don't really get this fear people have, either. "Back in the day", chipset fans were commonplace on motherboard chipsets. Plus our computers are practically full of fans, anyhow: CPU, intake, exhaust, PSU, video card, etc. I get it's not as easy, or sometimes possible even, to replace as something but a case fan but then again, a PSU fan isn't an "average joe" job, either. If the fan in your PSU dies, you or I might open up and replace it but most wouldn't attempt that. If I had a board these days with a fan on the chipset and it died, I'd just make sure I have ample airflow over the board and unless a temp sensor gets too high, not worry about it. Otherwise, solutions can be found :sneaky:

No, it won't have DDR5 or PCIe Gen 5. Micron (and only Micron as far as anyone knows) just started sampling finalized chips this month. And they're only sampling ECC stuff right now. DDR5 won't hit the consumer space until after it hits servers, which might not even happen this year. As for PCIe Gen 5, it's still too soon. It always takes a couple years (or more) to go from final release to consumer boards and Gen 5 was only finalized in May of last year.

No, it won't have DDR5 or PCIe Gen 5. Micron (and only Micron as far as anyone knows) just started sampling finalized chips this month. And they're only sampling ECC stuff right now. DDR5 won't hit the consumer space until after it hits servers, which might not even happen this year. As for PCIe Gen 5, it's still too soon. It always takes a couple years (or more) to go from final release to consumer boards and Gen 5 was only finalized in May of last year.

I doubt 670 is for Zen 3. Zen 3 my guess is still 570 on the high end (which could be part of why the OEMs where so willing to go all in on 570, knowing it would cover 2 generations)... with 550 boards coming to market with Zen 3.

670 is imo for Zen 4. Which rumors say is not actually far behind Zen 3. So Zen 3 mid this year... and Zen 4 late this year or perhaps even early 2021. Depending when Intel starts really talking about what they have at 7nm. If I was betting... it would be AMD dropping Zen 3 with no real Intel answer. With AMD dropping Zen 4 as soon as Intel tips their hand. Rumor is 670 isn't really up till late this year which puts it well past a Zen 3 launch.

I don't really get this fear people have, either. "Back in the day", chipset fans were commonplace on motherboard chipsets. Plus our computers are practically full of fans, anyhow: CPU, intake, exhaust, PSU, video card, etc. I get it's not as easy, or sometimes possible even, to replace as something but a case fan but then again, a PSU fan isn't an "average joe" job, either. If the fan in your PSU dies, you or I might open up and replace it but most wouldn't attempt that. If I had a board these days with a fan on the chipset and it died, I'd just make sure I have ample airflow over the board and unless a temp sensor gets too high, not worry about it. Otherwise, solutions can be found :sneaky:

It's difficult to understand when you only have experience with a few things every few years. When you deal with hardware in the hundreds or thousands per year, you'll get it. Tiny fans are among the least reliable products in the IT industry. "Back in the day" they were failing all the damn time and they still do. The smallest amount of dust can set them off balance leading to a short life or just straight up kill them. They are proprietary and almost impossible to replace, because companies rarely stock spares and constantly change the designs. Hacking a fix together might be cool for you as a DYI, but its not an option in retail/enterprise/OEM/commercial spaces. Sticking on a generic Startech with double sided thermal tape as a fix wasn't exactly professional either. Larger OEMs such as Dell and Compaq always avoided them like the plague. Instead of a tiny high speed fan on the CPU cooler, they did massive heatsinks and a case fan. This goes back as far back as the 90s. Tiny fans were all over standard ATX DIY and prebuilt systems like cancer but rarely seen anywhere else, until single slot video cards were popular. Those disappeared too for good reason. Seized up all the damn time.

then dont use consumer level hardware in your retail/oem/enterprise/comm spaces.

so about that new chipset then...

then dont use consumer level hardware in your retail/oem/enterprise/comm spaces.

so about that new chipset then...

Then don't make assumptions.

so how about that rumor of something new eventually.

Hope it don't have a fan.

Back