AMD 5900X with AMD wraith Prism temps

killroy67

[H]ard|Gawd
So I just got the AMD 5900X and have been putting it through the paces with the AMD Wraith Prism. Gaming Im averaging 70-75c and hitting boost clocks of 4.8ghz and even 4.9ghz once in a while, do these temps seem normal??

So I just got the AMD 5900X and have been putting it through the paces with the AMD Wraith Prism. Gaming Im averaging 70-75c and hitting boost clocks of 4.8ghz and even 4.9ghz once in a while, do these temps seem normal??

That heatsink is going to limit your processor, your boost clocks look right to me though. However an all core load is likely to have lower clocks due to heat load. If your just gaming then that heatsink will do the job.

That heatsink is going to limit your processor, your boost clocks look right to me though. However an all core load is likely to have lower clocks due to heat load. If your just gaming then that heatsink will do the job.
Yeah Im just gaming, thanks

Those are actually excellent for a wraith prism. I use a h150i 360mm aio, and I stay just under 70-75 gaming with just stock pbo enabled, no manual overclocking. I think that cooler will probably hold that cpu back.

Seems normal and those are good temps.
Even with a lower level ryzen cpu 5600x using wraith stock cooler, i tried CPU mining and it went up to 95c-100c and my PC would reboot.

The one thing I have going for me is ambient temps, year round my house is kept at 68F, actually lower in the winter which is 65F.

Yeah, sounds normal. My 5950X can get up to 85C in CPU benchmarks, but is usually around 75C in games.
I just got my 5950X over the weekend and have been kinda puzzled by the temperature behavior so far. E.g. It will idle around 41C, then I open a random program and it jumps to 60C for a brief moment before settling back down again. I did some video rendering in Davinci Resolve and it was in 80-85C range, then I ran the Blender benchmark and it didn't go above 65C.

I've got a Noctua NH-D15 and the 140mm fans were constantly spinning up and down due to the temp fluctuations which was super annoying, so I've temporarily swapped them out with a couple of SilverStone Ap181 fans I had kicking around and put them on the low setting - it looks funny but they seem to be doing just fine lol.

Last edited:
I just got my 5950X over the weekend and have been kinda puzzled by the temperature behavior so far. E.g. It will idle around 41C, then I open a random program and it jumps to 60C for a brief moment before settling back down again. I did some video rendering in Davinci Resolve and it was in 80-85C range, then I ran the Blender benchmark and it didn't go above 65C.

I've got a Noctua NH-D15 and the 140mm fans were constantly spinning up and down due to the temp fluxuation which was super annoying, so I've temporarily swapped them out with a couple of SilverStone Ap181 fans I had kicking around and put them on the low setting - it looks funny but they seem to be doing just fine lol.
It would probably be a better idea to adjust the fan curves on the cpu vs changing the fans and placing them on the low setting.

yeah that^^^. set a curve so it doesnt ramp up until after the blips. the heatsinks mass will handle the tiny spikes without the fans spinning up.

Reactions: Aix.
like this
It would probably be a better idea to adjust the fan curves on the cpu vs changing the fans and placing them on the low setting.
Yep, that's the plan. I just wasn't expecting the behavior at all and they were driving me mad to start with so I wanted them out while I researched what was causing all the fluctuations. Just having "ASUS GameFirst" installed wasn't allowing the CPU to rest at all, for instance.

Yep, that's the plan. I just wasn't expecting the behavior at all and they were driving me mad to start with so I wanted them out while I researched what was causing all the fluctuations. Just having "ASUS GameFirst" installed wasn't allowing the CPU to rest at all, for instance.
I have a MSI board so I’m not familiar with the Asus software. But it’s normal behavior. Mine did it on a completely fresh install with no extra software.

I just ran some benchmarks, watched temps and adjusted the fan curve. It drove me nuts stock also. Glad you got it figured out.

I haven't had that problem, but I also have silent fans so I can't really hear if they ramp up or not. I did not set a fan curve, but that is something to look into.

Seems normal and those are good temps.
Even with a lower level ryzen cpu 5600x using wraith stock cooler, i tried CPU mining and it went up to 95c-100c and my PC would reboot.

With PBO and +200MHz boost clocks enabled my 5600X hits 85c with a Noctua NH-D15 using Artic MX-5 paste. The temp limit of the CPU is 95c so you're definitely hitting hard throttle temps. Without PBO and +100MHz OC with -10 on the voltage curve it stays under 70c. The performance difference between the two OCs is minimal, so it's definitely worth running the lower clocks for coolness, energy savings, and quietness. My PC is silent at the mild OC settings and sounds like a wind farm with the maximum OC settings.

With PBO and +200MHz boost clocks enabled my 5600X hits 85c with a Noctua NH-D15 using Artic MX-5 paste. The temp limit of the CPU is 95c so you're definitely hitting hard throttle temps. Without PBO and +100MHz OC with -10 on the voltage curve it stays under 70c. The performance difference between the two OCs is minimal, so it's definitely worth running the lower clocks for coolness, energy savings, and quietness. My PC is silent at the mild OC settings and sounds like a wind farm with the maximum OC settings.
With bios defaults Im getting boost clocks up to 4900mhz, temps stay between 65-75C, using the AMD Wraith Prism and Artic MX-4 paste. The key to good temps when using air or water is ambient temps, if your room is 75F then that is your staring point for air or water cooling. Year round our ambient temps run around 65F in the fall/winter, and 68F thanks to central AC during the summer.

Year round our ambient temps run around 65F in the fall/winter, and 68F thanks to central AC during the summer.

Well, your ambient is 22-25 degrees cooler than mine so there you go.

Last edited:
I believe you as I know the Cooler Master Wraith Prism is a better cooler then what I am using on my 5600x.. I didn't feel the stock cooler was good enough so being I was an old Ryzen 1600 AB owner I still had that copper core cooler that it came with so that's what I used and Corsair TM 30 .. it's in a Cooler Master Box 400 with MSI B550 Mortar and a RX 570 8Gb that only knows 80c by default .. so keeping it below the gpu temps in that small box is a good test and Fortnite can make it reach 75c

Back