amd 4000+ as htpc

jdl

Weaksauce
anyone see any issues with making an old amd 4000+ (socket 939) an htpc? will have 2gigs ram, win 7 home premium, and an amd 5670 video card using the hdmi out for sound/video to tv.
it will mainly just be streaming from netflix and playing mkv files with arcsoft across a wireless feed. I will have it hooked up with a netgear wnce3001 n adapter then wired to the htpc.

wonder if going EoP will give more stability?

Throw in another 2GB of RAM and it'll be fine. It'll be a little hot though. My HTPC currently runs on AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+ with 4GB of RAM and GeForce 210. 4GB makes Windows 7 happy and makes for a decent Windows Media Center experience.

Can't speak for that video card though. I have a Radeon HD 4890 2GB card on my gaming computer and that computer runs laps around my HTPC but that's probably because it has a Phenom II 720 x3 and 8GB RAM.

I used to use an Athlon 4400 (939) and it didn't like 1080p MKV much, but for Netflix it should be alright I would hope.

I used to use an Athlon 4400 (939) and it didn't like 1080p MKV much, but for Netflix it should be alright I would hope.

Have you tried a faster video card and a player that plays video in hardware mode? a 4400+ should have no issue running 1080p MKV with a decent video card capable of pushing that.

wonder if going EoP will give more stability?

I'm running a pair of cheap 200 Mbps TRENDnet TPL-303E2K powerlines that have been rock stable, replacing a pair of TP-Link 200 Mbps that had connectivity issues. LAN speeds average about 47 Mbps in a powerline 1 -> powerline 2 -> gigabit switch -> htpc config. It's kind of overkill for net streaming as my connection is < 3 Mpbs DSL. Oh well at least it's future proofed somewhat.

You'll be fine I used to run an almost identical system to that for my HTPC BUT...

It was slow at times especially using the Windows Media Center interface. I even had a raid 0 setup for it but when switching from recorded program to program it would drag at times but it was still way better than the crappy box the cable co tried to give me.

More ram would help a ton, but you should be fine since you have dedicated video and are not sharing your ram with on board video.

I've run a 3200+ at 1.2Ghz with 2 gigs of memory and a 5450. It ran perfectly smooth and fine.

thanks for all replies.
system is up and running. It runs ok. Having some pausing while streaming mkv files. System is sluggish compared to todays systems but streams netflix just fine.

For my main purpose to stream netflix and play a blu ray directly it will work just fine. If i used this tv all the time i would upgrade my cpu/mb/ram and wire it.

is your streaming done over wifi or wired? If it's wifi, it'll be a bit tricky to stream 1080p mkv no matter how new your computer is. If you have a 10/100 wired network, might want to consider getting a gigabit ethernet card and CAT 5e or 6 cables.

Back