AMD 3500+ now or x2 3800+ later

Boardin087

Gawd
Im upgrading my rig i just got a 7800 GTX, new 500 watt psu, and was gonna go with the X2 3800+ for 169 when price cuts happen. however I was planning on upgrading anyway as I want to go conroe around the holidays. Computer is mainly for gaming and the 3500+ is one day sale 109 including shipping today from newegg. I like the idea of dual core but honestly......... the only multitasking ill be doing is aim/vent/WoW which my comp handles now. Can i OC the 3500+ with stock HSF?

And basicly what im asking. Is a minimal (if any after OC) speed increase and having dual core worth an extra 70 bucks and 3-4 weeks of my time when im upgrading anyway?

While it's a bit late, you made the right choice imo. You'll be able to OC the 3500+ with stock HSF, yes. Don't expect a clock of 3GHz though.

Ebenol said:
While it's a bit late, you made the right choice imo. You'll be able to OC the 3500+ with stock HSF, yes. Don't expect a clock of 3GHz though.

Ya, i realized that the 70 dollars (minimum) is not worth it when im definately upgrading in under 6 months. also My 3500+ should run as fast as a X2 3800+ at stock minimum. Just doesn't make much sense to get a midrange cpu when i can get a cheap one with similar performance when im going to be upgrading anyway.

Boardin087 said:
Ya, i realized that the 70 dollars (minimum) is not worth it when im definately upgrading in under 6 months. also My 3500+ should run as fast as a X2 3800+ at stock minimum. Just doesn't make much sense to get a midrange cpu when i can get a cheap one with similar performance when im going to be upgrading anyway.

It completely depends when you're saying "similar performance," but if the only multitasking you're doing is vent/wow/aim you made the right choice. As for overclocking with the stock HSF, I'd look into aftermarket cooling if you want any significant overclock.

quadnad said:
It completely depends when you're saying "similar performance," but if the only multitasking you're doing is vent/wow/aim you made the right choice. As for overclocking with the stock HSF, I'd look into aftermarket cooling if you want any significant overclock.
Ya, honestly I dont do much multitasking... My CPU now handles most of the things I throw at it anyway, I will be going dual core but not until I see AMD's answer to conroe or we find out which mobo's work great with conroe....... and not until the holidays :)

And ill get what I can with stock HSF but thats about it, not looking to OC it much at all

Back