AMD 2nd Gen Ryzen 2 2700X Zen+ CPU Review @ [H]

Crazy how Tech Yes City said the same thing about Ryzen+ feeling "snappier"....

Latency related ish maybe?

Anyways, thanks for trying!

I had an O/C Ryzen 1600 on a Gigabyte AB350M D3H mobo.
Stuck the 2700X straight in at stock speeds. It appears that Precision Boost 2 is working on the B350 chipsets as well. All 8 cores showing in RyzenMaster at over 4.1Ghz (bounces around a little). And this is at STOCK....no O/C. Regularly get the "starred" cores running at 4.35Ghz.
Anyway long story short....it appears the the PB2 works on Gigabyte mobos with B350 chipsets with the latest bios updates.

nice thanks for the heads up. and thanks duron for the video.. think i'm officially sold now and ordering the 2700x.

any chance some one has tested the 2700x using hynix based CL 16 3200 ram yet?

I decided to just keep my 5960x so I did not really do any research. Talked with a guy at work and he was saying the 2700x beat the 8700k 7 out of 10 games.
I laughed and said no way that it would even come close. I was wrong! I was surprised to see the results. The good thing about AMD is the motherboard will last a few generations. Not only best bang for your buck, but just as fast if not faster.
I am glad to see AMD kicking some booty. Now if they could do that with their GPU's.

It will be interesting to see what the 2700x can do with tweaking.

nice thanks for the heads up. and thanks duron for the video.. think i'm officially sold now and ordering the 2700x.

any chance some one has tested the 2700x using hynix based CL 16 3200 ram yet?

i have a ripjaw x-flare 3200 cl14 kit i'm getting my 2700x on sunday so i well let you know then?

I had an O/C Ryzen 1600 on a Gigabyte AB350M D3H mobo.
Stuck the 2700X straight in at stock speeds. It appears that Precision Boost 2 is working on the B350 chipsets as well. All 8 cores showing in RyzenMaster at over 4.1Ghz (bounces around a little). And this is at STOCK....no O/C. Regularly get the "starred" cores running at 4.35Ghz. CPUz bench shows all cores multi-core test at 3.98 for 2 cores and 4.017 for the other 6 under full load....multi score 4944.2...single score 491.5.
Anyway long story short....it appears the the PB2 works on Gigabyte mobos with B350 chipsets with the latest bios updates.

Thats awesome ! I guess i should expect the same on a Asus Rog board?

Holy Crap Kyle liked my post and he is not even carnival personal
https://www.leanblog.org/2014/11/is-the-jerk-good-at-problem-solving/

CUP-0-PIZZA FOR ALL !!!!!!!
Nobody likes a gloater. :p
This perfectly engineered piece of silicon that is slaughtering Intel's best showed up today. :)

View attachment 68291

The [H] review made me feel good about the Intel -> AMD switch!
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen “X in USA” on a chip before. And I might not have a clue what is meant by ‘diffused’ but I can’t help but admit I do like seeing the ‘in USA’ part.

I know I won't see much gaming benefits from upgrading from this haswell @ 4.2... but I want to.

What I find amusing with Ryzen+ is there were so many people that were skeptics of it being much of a worthy performance improvement 8 months to a year ago. I think it ended up being better than most people expect much like Ryzen itself was. Personally I thought even 100-200MHz min and max clock rates was enough to make a pretty major impact on Ryzen overall a simple 100-200MHz overclock on a 4C CPU versus on a 6C or 8C CPU is a huge difference in MT workloads or even in partially MT workloads and leaves a ton more leftover headroom for smoother multitasking. I don't think enough people were taking that aspect into account on their reservations about Ryzen+ prior to benchmark results chalk it up to 4C complacency.

Hmm, throw money away, or wait till next year, throw money away or wait till next year... decisions.
Can't change that, but eventually you are bound to throw money away either when you decide to upgrade. You'll find a way to justify it in your head while telling yourself a month or two after should have waited.

Crazy how Tech Yes City said the same thing about Ryzen+ feeling "snappier"....

Latency related ish maybe?

Anyways, thanks for trying!

This more or less exactly, at least compared to 1st gen Ryzen. Code execution latency has gone down a sizable chunk with this release. They're still not as on it as Intel in that department however.

Nobody likes a gloater. :p

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen “X in USA” on a chip before. And I might not have a clue what is meant by ‘diffused’ but I can’t help but admit I do like seeing the ‘in USA’ part.
It means the wafers are fabbed in the USA and then processed and packaged into processors in China.

hey so you did all your testing on x370 ?

Yes. All on X370. Note that my board (the Asus Prime X370 Pro) had a BIOS release specifically to add compatibility for Pinnacle Ridge. You will have to check if your board has a new BIOS first.

Yes. All on X370. Note that my board (the Asus Prime X370 Pro) had a BIOS release specifically to add compatibility for Pinnacle Ridge. You will have to check if your board has a new BIOS first.

yup i'm already updated waiting for my chip to be delivered by amazon tomorrow. upgrading from a 1600x

I find it rather impressive that XFR2 is pretty effective at manually overclocking the CPU to the highest turbo if you have cooling headroom.

In my testing and others the stock part under water cooling, is faster than a 4.2ghz all core overclock thanks to its 4.3ghz turbo. When all cores are put under load the 4.2ghz all core oc does do better, but not by much at all.

First Cpu I'd put in my system and not even bother with overclocking it, just slap a good cooler on and go! That is Definitely a first for me.

I find it rather impressive that XFR2 is pretty effective at manually overclocking the CPU to the highest turbo if you have cooling headroom.

In my testing and others the stock part under water cooling, is faster than a 4.2ghz all core overclock thanks to its 4.3ghz turbo. When all cores are put under load the 4.2ghz all core oc does do better, but not by much at all.

First Cpu I'd put in my system and not even bother with overclocking it, just slap a good cooler on and go! That is Definitely a first for me.
Yeah great for itx ryzen build. Because you don't need crazy cooling

This appears to be a CPU that is self sufficient for overclock tasks out of the box, no user input needed.
The real user input seems to be finding ultra fast ram timings.

Thanks for the no bullshit review! Only question I have is are you feeling the itch to upgrade? I'm sitting on an X99 system with a "few" less cores than you have in your rig and have been resisting the upgrade bug for a few iterations. You've had hands on with the 2700x.. your Broadwell feeling slow yet?

Realistic me says we would not notice any difference in gaming (a few frames higher, but less noticeable with higher resolution), but would definitely notice an improvement in highly threaded environments. Nerd me says holy crap I should upgrade lol.

Realistic me says we would not notice any difference in gaming (a few frames higher, but less noticeable with higher resolution), but would definitely notice an improvement in highly threaded environments. Nerd me says holy crap I should upgrade lol.

That's about where I am parked at the moment. X99 has some lags and if I needed more threads I can toss a 10 core processor in.

Anyone upgrading a Ryzen to Ryzen+ and wants to sell "old" chips, PM me please.

edit = got one, thanks!

Last edited:
my 2700x will be here next Wednesday .. yay!

..now to find a home for my vanilla 1700 .. :sneaky:

Thanks for the no bullshit review! Only question I have is are you feeling the itch to upgrade? I'm sitting on an X99 system with a "few" less cores than you have in your rig and have been resisting the upgrade bug for a few iterations. You've had hands on with the 2700x.. your Broadwell feeling slow yet?
I am sitting on an 6950 (10C/20T) clocked at 4.3GHz. I will likely move to Threadripper to with the 2nd Gen.

6900K at 4.5, switched to TR4 and (she's gonna kill me i swear) will be switching again for a TR+ :)
We also have the same mobo it seems (X99 Designare).

For what it's worth, even if you switched right now? You'd still enjoy your TR more, not as fast, but goddam, all that horsepower! :)
TR+, you'll probably love it.
I have not done any research. I know the New Ryzen will use the same mobo, but will TR do it until 2020 like Ryzen?

I have not done any research. I know the New Ryzen will use the same mobo, but will TR do it until 2020 like Ryzen?

If you're asking about motherboard compatibility, the answer is supposedly no. They promised AM4 support until 2020, but nothing on Threadrippers, them being a different platofrm.
(now as to whether we're in for a surprise, some BIOS driver that allows for the newer models on a 399, i cannot say, but again, they never promised anything).

TR should be on the same socket, along with getting the x499 chipset. 2020 cut off is for the move to DDR5 so there should be no need to drop the current TR socket until then.

Agreed. If it is your thing, it is a relatively cheap hobby. At least compared to fishing.

Yup. So few hundred dollars a year is super cheap for a hobby. I have friends that can't believe how much my PC cost, but will go play golf every weekend or will constantly buy new gear for fishing/hunting/hiking. I easily spend less per year than they do on their hobbies.

Not to say I don't have expensive hobbies...I had to cut way back on shooting due to how much I was spending going to the range (not even including ammo lol).

Back