AMD 2nd Gen Ryzen 2 2700X Zen+ CPU Review @ [H]

well .. I have good airflow and using dual 120mm rad water cooling as well with my B350 .. sooo .. maybe just a 2700 would be very doable then .. ?

Your water cooling has nothing to do with any this, we're talking direct, active cooling for your VRMs; unless you meant to imply they're being water cooled as well?
As to good airflow, well.. all it takes is a fan blowing ambient temps air (or as close as) right on them. We're once again being specific mind, am not discussing overall chassis airflow or anything.

And just to avoid any misunderstandings because angry wives are a terrible thing to behold, lol, this all assumes 'normal' usage. If you want her rig to run at 4.2 or something 24/7, different prerequisites :)

4690k > 2700?! Problem is RAM pricing... and i dont really need to upgrade.. I barely game as it is, and im already at 2560x1440 so CPU really matters less. My GTX 1070 is doing all the work.

I'd like to move to Ryzen but means a new board, new RAM, CPU. Buy a bracket for my CPU cooler for Am4 (yay noctua mounting kits! at least only like 10 bucks).

Also I'd love to move to M.2 only :p. (ITX system). Removing the need for Sata data/power cables. But more cost! When i have two perfectly good ssds already...

Is anyone else in a case of older i5 and have the itch to upgrade?? I really only game and general multitasking. I don't render anything much, and if I were to it's usually not time-sensitive..

4690k > 2700?! Problem is RAM pricing... and i dont really need to upgrade.. I barely game as it is, and im already at 2560x1440 so CPU really matters less. My GTX 1070 is doing all the work.

I'd like to move to Ryzen but means a new board, new RAM, CPU. Buy a bracket for my CPU cooler for Am4 (yay noctua mounting kits! at least only like 10 bucks).

Also I'd love to move to M.2 only :p. (ITX system). Removing the need for Sata data/power cables. But more cost! When i have two perfectly good ssds already...

Is anyone else in a case of older i5 and have the itch to upgrade?? I really only game and general multitasking. I don't render anything much, and if I were to it's usually not time-sensitive..

I'm ... 2500K, RAM price to jump to 32GB is crazy ...wth is going on ? Guess if we buy now, we'll get a check for price gouging later on RAM lol

My expectations for this one have been met pretty much dead on point, which is a positive. I'm looking forward to Ryzen 2 proper at this point, they're still stuck a little behind in clock speed and instruction support which i'm hoping is where that gap closes.

One interesting test I saw was on GN where they demonstrated that in streaming scenarios while the 8700K delivers a better player experience the viewer experience is much better when using a 2700X thanks to the thread count (no dropped frames, higher level of bitrate encoding possible).

Thanks for the great review.

I'm definitely going to be taking a serious look at Gen 3 Ryzen in 2019.

I'm waiting to see what Intel comes out with. A lot of people are expecting the 9700K to be 8-Core.

Question, can I use last years AMD X370 motherboard with the CPU? Girlfriend has the 1700 but I could only get a stable OC to 3700mhz. This might be worth getting if I can get a 4.2Ghz on it.

welp ... pulled the trigger on the 2700x, so I'll see first hand how it performs on my Prime B350-Plus. I'm not into overclocking really anymore, so ... we'll see how she goes. Rock the Stock baby!

Question, can I use last years AMD X370 motherboard with the CPU? Girlfriend has the 1700 but I could only get a stable OC to 3700mhz. This might be worth getting if I can get a 4.2Ghz on it.
Of course with a BIOS update. RAM and power phases of the board are the best performance chances.

To my understanding, yes. Let me ask if PB2 works on X370 boards with the right UEFI update, just to make 100% sure.

Reactions: noko
like this

You can, however it won't be feature complete.

I'm definitely going to be taking a serious look at Gen 3 Ryzen in 2019

You mean Gen 2. The first Ryzens iteration was gen 1, this second one is also gen 1; hence the plus indicator (Zen+), so as to indicate incremental/minor improvements.
Gen 2 will be with the GloFo 7nm process.

I'm ... 2500K, RAM price to jump to 32GB is crazy ...wth is going on ? Guess if we buy now, we'll get a check for price gouging later on RAM lol

I only need 16gb personally but yes.. It's a bit crazy. I don't really use my computer enough for heavy duty tasks to justify an upgrade though.. It's not like it doesn't play everything i throw at it lol. I just want an excuse for a new shiny shiny :(

You mean Gen 2. The first Ryzens iteration was gen 1, this second one is also gen 1; hence the plus indicator (Zen+), so as to indicate incremental/minor improvements.
Gen 2 will be with the GloFo 7nm process.

This is Ryzen Generation 2, but its Zen+. Ryzen Generation 3 will be Zen 2. Ryzen Generation 4 will most likely be Zen2+...

and oh my I just went cross-eyed...

Anything beyond 1.4vcore on these Ryzens need water cooling. Typical air, wouldn't go above 1.4 to be safe.

This refresh is decent, well priced, great stock cooler, hard to argue on that. Though not a huge leap, waiting for 7nm stuff, 14nm is getting way old now.

It looks like there is not much to be gained by overclocking the CPU in gaming, but a lot to be gained from using fastest memory with optimized timings.

According to Computer Base, around 15% can be gained moving from stock memory/timings to 3466 with optimized timings, where more than half of the gain is in optimization, ie only 6% gained from higher memory speed with 8% gained from timing optimization alone.

Having used way too many FX cpu's I can say, they often ran better when you let them control their own clocks, especially if you didnt have a mobo that had the ability to reliably supply 200w of power to the cpu. AMD has had dynamic clocking and power under control for some time. Bulldozer cpus were really a tech marvel, unfortunately they caught fire and burned on launch. I expect overclocking will die in the next 2-3 years as AI takes over and just pushes the chips as far as they can go all the time. Its been happening for 5+ years now.

Still have a working system with a FX 8320E running on 4.3ghz on air ;)

It looks like there is not much to be gained by overclocking the CPU in gaming, but a lot to be gained from using fastest memory with optimized timings.

According to Computer Base, around 15% can be gained moving from stock memory/timings to 3466 with optimized timings, where more than half of the gain is in optimization, ie only 6% gained from higher memory speed with 8% gained from timing optimization alone.

Those are some big gains with good timings and ram. I bought a 2700X and an Asus x470 yesterday at MC ($50 bundle discount baby), and my Samsung B die comes in today. WOOOOOOOOOOT.

I was supposed to get my 2700X today.. got a shipping update this morning that its now tomorrow :-( sad panda.

i dunno if i'd risk that.. the vrm's on most of those b350's are just barely able to handle the 1700x, i don't know if i'd risk putting a 2700x on it.

Does anybody have an example of VRM's not being able to handle a 1700x or 1800x? I've never seen it, just some boogeyman talk about it. I know board wise mine can push my 1700 to 3.8 all core (which is 100mhz higher than an 1800x at max XFR), and that with the stock cooler. I didn't push any higher than that due to thermals, but zero board stability issues running that. So shouldn't my poor B350 VRMs have blown up by now? Or is this just conjecture from people looking at the boards and counting VRMS (moar is better, rah!) or a few people with shit case cooling frying them? My board temp is usually never higher than 30C, so maybe the caveat should be "yeah, you'll fry your VRMs if you're a complete idiot with zero case airflow."

Great review! Great and interesting CPU. GG AMD

..and the R7 2700x said to 8700k "if I cannot beat I'll kill you!"

Does anybody have an example of VRM's not being able to handle a 1700x or 1800x? I've never seen it, just some boogeyman talk about it. I know board wise mine can push my 1700 to 3.8 all core (which is 100mhz higher than an 1800x at max XFR), and that with the stock cooler. I didn't push any higher than that due to thermals, but zero board stability issues running that. So shouldn't my poor B350 VRMs have blown up by now? Or is this just conjecture from people looking at the boards and counting VRMS (moar is better, rah!) or a few people with shit case cooling frying them? My board temp is usually never higher than 30C, so maybe the caveat should be "yeah, you'll fry your VRMs if you're a complete idiot with zero case airflow."

i've heard of a few people having issues with the 1700x but looking at the boards they used it seems to mostly be with the shitty non heatsinked 4+2 boards and msi's cheapo 3+2 board.. either way i decided to go back and rewatch buildzoid's video on the b350 boards VRM setups and seems he liked the asus b350 plus board vrm setup/hardware along with the msi b350 pro carbon for running 8 core ryzen overclocked so i retract my statement.

I don't think it's a boogeyman argument at all, but simply recalling past experiences with AMD boards. It is likely influenced by what they saw during Bulldozer or Phenom II era, where boards are certainly not created equally. There was an expected level of diligence required for buying AMD boards if you did not want to be board-limited.
My advice to you see if figure out what the VRMs on your board are actually capable of.
http://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/946407-amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database.html

(Sadly AM4 boards are not listed lol)

And a quick search got me this result, which includes a 26min video by none other than Buildzoid :p
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3131-the-best-amd-ryzen-motherboards-for-overclocking-x370-b350

The top two boards, $350 and $250, are more than I've ever paid in the last 19 years, which makes the 370 Pro at $130 the obvious choice IMO.
I'm curious how your B350 board compares to that 370 Pro. Looks like sirmonkey just posted Buildzoid's B350 video as I was typing it, but I'll include the time stamp :p

iam going to swap my 1600x for a 2700 get the 2 extra cores and maybe a overclock 4.0 at 1.3v?

I don't think it's a boogeyman argument at all, but simply recalling past experiences with AMD boards. It is likely influenced by what they saw during Bulldozer or Phenom II era, where boards are certainly not created equally. There was an expected level of diligence required for buying AMD boards if you did not want to be board-limited.
My advice to you see if figure out what the VRMs on your board are actually capable of.
http://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/946407-amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database.html

(Sadly AM4 boards are not listed lol)

And a quick search got me this result, which includes a 26min video by none other than Buildzoid :p
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3131-the-best-amd-ryzen-motherboards-for-overclocking-x370-b350

The top two boards, $350 and $250, are more than I've ever paid in the last 19 years, which makes the 370 Pro at $130 the obvious choice IMO.
I'm curious how your B350 board compares to that 370 Pro. Looks like sirmonkey just posted Buildzoid's B350 video as I was typing it, but I'll include the time stamp :p

I mean, he's kind of speaking from the point of view of overclocking to max and benchmarking, I'm not after doing that (he was talking about LN2 on one of the Asus boards ffs). So yeah, I don't know that any of that is remotely relevant to plopping in a 2700x at stock.

Either way it sounds like the Asus 4+2 isn't bad as it uses higher efficiency vrms than a lot of the other boards, even if it doesn't do 8+2 like the msi's. I'll see what happens but I'm not too worried. I certainly don't think it's going to crap out on me, more worried that it won't boost all cores as much as it could.

People buy into the "extreme" marketing too much. Processor TDP really hasn't changed that much for a while

We were running 115W Pentium 4's in 2005 and didn't require a small substation's worth of VRMs to OC them

Unless you are planning on seriously overvolting you'll be fine

Meh after reading several reviews I have concluded the Zen + is just not strong enough to move from coffee lake. However, it's a big upgrade if you have older hardware.

Meh after reading several reviews I have concluded the Zen + is just not strong enough to move from coffee lake. However, it's a big upgrade if you have older hardware.

lol yeah... not from coffee lake. Unless you get into revised threadripper (when it launches) for productivity.

Im looking forward to some motherboard reviews for this CPU now. My CPU arrives today.

I skipped unitentionally skipped the first round of Ryzen processors and motherboards, so I have a question:
Were there any board revisions on the 370x lines or was everything needed fixed with BIOs updates?

The older AMD AM32, AM3 AM3+ motherboards had tons of revisions along with BIOs updates.
I am actually thinking there will be one update off the bat for some of the minor weird performance things seen in the 2700x reviews.

People buy into the "extreme" marketing too much. Processor TDP really hasn't changed that much for a while

We were running 115W Pentium 4's in 2005 and didn't require a small substation's worth of VRMs to OC them

Unless you are planning on seriously overvolting you'll be fine

Amazon just dropped my 2700x off, so I'll find out in an hour or two.

Back