AMD 2500U Acer Aspire 3 Laptop $450 @Microcenter

Neapolitan6th

[H]ard|Gawd
Pretty good deal this. Everywhere else has this laptop priced at $600.

The 2500U is a 4 core, 8 thread part that is quite special. The gem here though is its graphics capability.

Microcenter only it seems, Link

Vega 8 graphics, 1 tb 5400rpm drive. It's 100 more at Amazon with a 256gb ssd, probably a better idea to pick that up, although it looks like swapping the drive is easy.

I don't think $100 for a 256GB SSD is a deal. You can find decent to good drives that size for about half that right now. Plus, I am pretty sure this laptop comes with an empty m.2 slot next to the CPU. If I were buying one, I'd go for the less expensive option that comes with the 1TB mechanical drive and then buy an m.2 drive to boot from and use the spinner for storage.

I don't think $100 for a 256GB SSD is a deal. You can find decent to good drives that size for about half that right now. Plus, I am pretty sure this laptop comes with an empty m.2 slot next to the CPU. If I were buying one, I'd go for the less expensive option that comes with the 1TB mechanical drive and then buy an m.2 drive to boot from and use the spinner for storage.
Looks more like $70 to me just doing a quick look. To some it may be worth $30 to not have to clone or reinstall windows, plus there's a whole lot of people without a Microcenter near them. Only one in this state, I'm not driving two hours to save $30. Just presenting options for others who check this out.

That said, I did recently pick up a $350 laptop for a friend and pick up a $70 ssd to do exactly this. That was at a different site being shipped to me though, so a different animal.

Looks more like $70 to me just doing a quick look. To some it may be worth $30 to not have to clone or reinstall windows, plus there's a whole lot of people without a Microcenter near them. Only one in this state, I'm not driving two hours to save $30. Just presenting options for others who check this out.

That said, I did recently pick up a $350 laptop for a friend and pick up a $70 ssd to do exactly this. That was at a different site being shipped to me though, so a different animal.

Microcenter has a few 240/256GB SSD options in the $50-60 range. One, the Inland 240GB, is only $43. So I stand by my initial ballpark estimate. I don't suggest the Inland drive but there are options. If someone is going to MC for the laptop they can pick up the drive while there. Microcenter even has some good NVME drives under $100 that would pair well with this laptop for a dual drive setup.

That's a good point about not everyone being close to a MC. I know I'm spoiled, I'm there all the time. For people who aren't near one, the Amazon option does have appeal. Also, getting to the m.2 slot is not exactly Mission: Impossible, but I know there are a lot of people that would not attempt it. It is not as easy as removing two screws for the SSD and memory locations. If someone just wants an inexpensive, capable laptop that is ready to use then going with Amazon makes sense.

Back