AMD 1st Gen RYZEN Threadripper 1920X 12-core$ 419 Bucks

Must resist. I want the 7nm version with the Spectre hardware fixes, higher IPC and more cores.. Although I exect to pay 2 to 4 times this for what I want.

Last edited:
Must resist. I want the 7nm version with the Spectre hardware fixes, higher IPC and more cores.. Although I exect to pay 2 to 4 times this for what I want.

Is spectre effecting you? You know there are always going to be some sort of vulnerability. I don’t think any hardware is going to be bullet proof that’s where software comes in to play. When they fix spectre someone will hammer the chips for another 3 years trying to find flaws.

Is spectre effecting you?

Software mitigation for spectre do come at a performance penalty even on AMD systems. Although we will have to see next year if after both Intel and AMD release "fixed" hardware whether or not this reduces the mitgations in software or not.

Deal seems to be dead :(

Just get a 8 core Ryzen?

8 core Ryzen is good unless you want a lot of PCIe lanes or over 64GB of ram. 24 lanes get eaten up pretty quick.

The system I am building has 3 NVME 4x drives, 2 16x video cards, plus possibly a 8x SATA HBA and 1x USB3 card (depending on the IOMMU breakout if I can pass 2 of the boards controllers to 2 separate VMs).

I almost bit on this deal but for my use-case I think the 1950x will work better. If you have a Microcenter close they have the 1950x for $649.

Last edited:
$399 is supposed to be the new price for the 1920x, but I’ve only seen it that cheap on eBay in the last few weeks.

spectre fixes would be like a getting whole IPC improvement in and of it's self if one ran the slow patches. at least they don't have the whole slew of meltdown issues intel has? it almost sounds like there is possibility of finding more untill ARM/x86 are really changed a bit?

Yep. I don't want any of the built in NSA backdoor spectre shit in my next cpu. So, I'll stay away from intel and get the AMD CPU. The threadripper is bit to pricey so I'll get the more mainstream desktop cpu. .

I'm probably not going to be able to wait. It's substantially cheaper in power to run a 1920x (other than RAM prices, that's a big PITA) than what I've got.

Back