AMD 1920x idling at 50C

I just bought a 1920x and it works well along with an ASUS X399 Zenith Extreme motherboard and I'm using the Thermaltake Riing 3.0 RGB 240mm AIO cooler. However, I'm getting high idle temperatures of 50C which doesn't seem right. Am I doing something wrong or is AMD's Threadripper CPU's really do run warm at idle and at load? The AIO cooler came with pre pasted thermal paste on it by the way.

I just bought a 1920x and it works well along with an ASUS X399 Zenith Extreme motherboard and I'm using the Thermaltake Riing 3.0 RGB 240mm AIO cooler. However, I'm getting high idle temperatures of 50C which doesn't seem right. Am I doing something wrong or is AMD's Threadripper CPU's really do run warm at idle and at load? The AIO cooler came with pre pasted thermal paste on it by the way.
How are you checking the temperature exactly?

Using Real Temp on the same setup I got a 38C idle temperature. Same motherboard, same CPU, and a similar cooling setup. I didn't have the pre-applied TIM on mine so that might have something to do with it.

Using Core Temp and the built in on screen LED on the motherboard
I would double check first with the Tdie value in HWINFO64 or Threadripper Master. Not saying those are wrong, but things have been wonky with temp monitoring in the past.

seeing around 36 C at near idle on my 1950X with Noctua NH-U14S. I have the same board, on the latest BIOS available from Asus' site. The initial BIOS I believe reported the temps wrong (was like 27 C off).

hS3c.png

Thanks guys, I updated to the latest BIOS and it fixed my temps. Now it's idling around 25-30 which seems normal. Before the BIOS update, the CPU fans were running really loud and I spent hours trying to figure out what went wrong. Though its strange why the first stock BIOS would make your CPU temps really high, but that doesn't matter now.

Thanks guys, I updated to the latest BIOS and it fixed my temps. Now it's idling around 25-30 which seems normal. Before the BIOS update, the CPU fans were running really loud and I spent hours trying to figure out what went wrong. Though its strange why the first stock BIOS would make your CPU temps really high, but that doesn't matter now.

Going over my notes, I saw the same thing with one of the BIOS versions. I flashed the board a day later and fixed that.

threadripper has a 27C offset for that TCTL so some software may still be reporting that just like the ~20C offset ryzen had

The bios update didn't drop your temperatures. It just fixed whatever reporting issue was wonky on the digital front. Nothing more really. Good job that its fixed. You should idle around 35 or so depending on your room temp.

Back