AMD 1800+ (Palamino) shutdowns under load

RedChief

Weaksauce
I have a AMD 1800+ (Palamino) on a Asus A7V400-MX MB. A few days ago it started shutting down when under a load (in this case, running Everquest). Using the PC Wizard 2005 to check the temp, it had been running in the high 60s (as high as 70 at times). I put a Aeromax heatsink/fan on the cpu and the temp droped to the high 50's/low 60s, but even after a extended period the system still shutsdown.

Could the processor just be toast? (if so, I'm glad frys has deals...)

My old 2000+ used to do that too. How's airflow in your case? Dust everywhere? Fans working? Maybe it's your vid card overheating. Running 60s on the proc is a little hot anyway. What are your open-case temps like?

what PSU are you running? make, model and rated output. if you have an ultra or other flakey PSU, that would be a prime candidate for generating crashes on a proc running stock speed and warm, but well within spec temps. i don't think that you CPU temp is anything to worry about at all, if you aren't OCing or anything else to make the CPU unhappy.

to test the processor: run prime 95 torture test, with the test type set to blend. if that errors out, then the proc/mobo/memory is making math errors. troubleshooting from there depends on what you get as a result. if the computer shuts down, heat and/or flakey power are likely the source of your problem.

Open case temps are in high 30's.

The power supply is a CoolMax CX-400 (400w, 3.3volt-30amp, 5v-40a, 12v-18a). Video card is a ATI Radeon 9800pro (requires external power from PS), 1x CD rom drive (rarely used), one 40 gig HD, two 80 gig HDs, a Siig IDE Raid card (80 gig drives are mirrored). 3x80mm case fans (1 front, 2 back), 2 sticks of 512meg DDR.

The Asus A7V400-MX does not allow for any over clocking.

No dust in the case.

RedChief said:
I have a AMD 1800+ (Palamino) on a Asus A7V400-MX MB. A few days ago it started shutting down when under a load (in this case, running Everquest). Using the PC Wizard 2005 to check the temp, it had been running in the high 60s (as high as 70 at times). I put a Aeromax heatsink/fan on the cpu and the temp droped to the high 50's/low 60s, but even after a extended period the system still shutsdown.

Could the processor just be toast? (if so, I'm glad frys has deals...)

sounds like your motherboard's cpu overheat protection is kicking in. you should check the bios for the temp its set to kick in at. high 50s/low 60s is pretty high even for a palamino.

maybe reapply heatsink to cpu? maybe not enough arctic silver or whatever thermal paste you use?

maybe this is a shutdown due to overheat.

if you dont want it to automatically shutdown, go to bios and increase the "shutdown" temp to around 70-75.

but i would suggest you get a better cooling solution first, like heatsinks from Thermalright plus a decent fan will give you very good results, get it down in the 35-45 range. running constant 50-60 is still pretty high imo...

I agree that overheating is the first suspect, since Palominos run so hot.

Shut down, remove power and thoroughly clean your case internals. Use a paint brush to loosen dust and vacuum it out. Clean all heatsinks. Clean all fan blades - particularly any brown-gunk accumulation on the leading edge of fan-blades (Windex with paper towels and/or Q-tips). Make sure your CPU heatsink fins are clean as new. If you have case air filters, clean them or simply remove them.

Hope ths helps!

Fry's had a deal this weekend on a AMD Sempron 2600+ECS MB for $70 so I picked it up. I reinstalled the OS (Win2k Server), patches, etc.

And upon loading EQ, it shut down the system after about 3-4 minutes. Now, the only thing that was now swapped out was the Radeon 9800 Pro vid card. I've never heard of a over heated vid card shutting down a system, just locking it up. Oh, and I did run Prime95 torture test for about 20+ minutes w/o a problem.

RedChief said:
Fry's had a deal this weekend on a AMD Sempron 2600+ECS MB for $70 so I picked it up. I reinstalled the OS (Win2k Server), patches, etc.

And upon loading EQ, it shut down the system after about 3-4 minutes. Now, the only thing that was now swapped out was the Radeon 9800 Pro vid card. I've never heard of a over heated vid card shutting down a system, just locking it up. Oh, and I did run Prime95 torture test for about 20+ minutes w/o a problem.

ouch, be sure to take a look at the video card fan to make sure its working. as for running prime95 for 20minutes thats really not enough to say your system is stable.. i usually run it for 24+ hours on a new system..

I figured the 20 min of prime95 beat up the system a lot more then 3-4 minutes of a game. I'm going to take the micro fan off the vid card heat sink and mount a cpu fan off a stock AMD heatsink (perfect size to screw on).

Back