AMC Entertainment CFO Talks Flexible Movie Ticket Pricing

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
How do we get more people into movie theaters? I know, let’s increase ticket pricing on new and popular releases!

AMC Entertainment is ready to talk variable pricing for Hollywood tentpole movies on early release in its theaters after acquiring Odeon & UCI Cinemas, CFO Craig Ramsey said Thursday. His comments came as AMC Theaters gets set to complete a $1.2 billion deal to acquire an European exhibitor that has experimented with flexible ticket prices, as airlines and hotels already do. "They [Odeon & UCI] are further advanced in variable pricing, where tentpole movies are priced up on release," Ramsey told the MKM Partners Entertainment, Leisure and Consumer Technology Conference during a session that was webcast.

How to get more people into theaters?

- Cut the ticket prices in half across the board (because they really are way too high)
- Cut the food/beverage/snack prices in half across the board (because I can get the same theater box candy at Walgreens for $1 a box these days)
- Don't shove 20+ minutes of advertisements down our visual cortexes while we're sitting in the theater waiting for the movie to start (because I'm paying for the movie and snacks which is overpriced to offset the need for profits)
- Don't shove 20+ minutes of movie trailers down our visual cortexes while... well, you get the point I'm sure

Oh, I almost forgot the most important point of all:

- TELL HOLLYWOOD TO STOP MAKING SHITTY REBOOTS AND REMAKES AND CREATE SOME NEW MATERIAL WORTH THE TICKET/ETC PRICES

Do those things and I'll go back to seeing a movie or two each week like I did many years ago when the movie going experience literally was half the cost it is today. As it stands now I see maybe 2-3 movies a year if that many and that's only because my wife likes to go from time to time. We just saw "Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them" on Friday, the day of release, at a rather popular theater here in Las Vegas - we saw the 11:45AM show for $7.25 per ticket, paid $5.25 for a damned soda (their small one for $4.25 was like 1/5th the size of the large one so there wasn't much point in getting the small one which is like a couple of sips nowadays), sat through 14 minutes of shitty advertisements and commercials then 17 minutes of movie trailers (nothing of any real interest at all, sadly) and then the movie.

There were 7 people in the theater and we were 2 of those on the day of release, not a good sign overall - in fact when we went to the show there were probably less than a dozen people in the theater itself that we could see, no lines, and aside from a few employees I'd think the place wasn't even open yet.

Trust me, AMC, it's not about the ticket pricing, really it's not, it's just the lackluster experience and the overall cost to get any enjoyment from the outing, at least for me. To be honest, even if everything was half price starting right now and forevermore I doubt I'd go to more than a handful of flicks per year, it's just not the same as it was when I was younger and a group of friends would hit up the theater then go for some gaming at a local arcade then some meal at a local restaurant and really make a night of it.

Guess I'm just old, whatever. :p

</rant>

- Cut the ticket prices in half across the board (because they really are way too high)
- Cut the food/beverage/snack prices in half across the board (because I can get the same theater box candy at Walgreens for $1 a box these days)
- Don't shove 20+ minutes of advertisements down our visual cortexes while we're sitting in the theater waiting for the movie to start (because I'm paying for the movie and snacks which is overpriced to offset the need for profits)
- Don't shove 20+ minutes of movie trailers down our visual cortexes while... well, you get the point I'm sure

- TELL HOLLYWOOD TO STOP MAKING SHITTY REBOOTS AND REMAKES AND CREATE SOME NEW MATERIAL WORTH THE TICKET/ETC PRICES

Do those things and I'll go back to seeing a movie or two each week like I did many years ago when the movie going experience literally was half the cost it is today. As it stands now I see maybe 2-3 movies a year if that many and that's only because my wife likes to go from time to time. We just saw "Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them" on Friday, the day of release, at a rather popular theater here in Las Vegas - we saw the 11:45AM show for $7.25 per ticket, paid $5.25 for a damned soda (their small one for $4.25 was like 1/5th the size of the large one so there wasn't much point in getting the small one which is like a couple of sips nowadays), sat through 14 minutes of shitty advertisements and commercials then 17 minutes of movie trailers (nothing of any real interest at all, sadly) and then the movie.

There were 7 people in the theater and we were 2 of those on the day of release, not a good sign overall - in fact when we went to the show there were probably less than a dozen people in the theater itself that we could see, no lines, and aside from a few employees I'd think the place wasn't even open yet.

Trust me, AMC, it's not about the ticket pricing, really it's not, it's just the lackluster experience and the overall cost to get any enjoyment from the outing, at least for me. To be honest, even if everything was half price starting right now and forevermore I doubt I'd go to more than a handful of flicks per year, it's just not the same as it was when I was younger and a group of friends would hit up the theater then go for some gaming at a local arcade then some meal at a local restaurant and really make a night of it.

</rant>

All of that is pretty much why I havn't gone back to the movie theatre since either Passion of the Christ or Star Wars Episode 3. Everything you just stated is almost forgiveable if the movie going experience would at least be sanitary and pleasant. Instead, you get a bunch of pricks on their cell phones, people talking during the movie, one guy in one of the rows behind me who decided it was okay to take a piss on the floor and seats that did not feel clean.

For the same price of the movie going experience, I now wait and buy the "extended edition" or "special edition" on disk at Walmart or Amazon. $20-22 for the movie that I can watch again at any time, $1 for a bottle of Coke(none of that nasty Pepsi that all the theatres around me have), $0.97 for a movie theatre box of my favorite candy from Walmart, my very own recliner, and best of all my cat and kitten snuggling on the recliner watching the movie with me. All of this on my very own surround sound system utilizing DTS-MA and hopefully within the next couple of years a Dolby Atmos system.

I would pay even more for movie tickets if they kicked out all the fucking people on their cellphones, talking, texting, playing fucking games, iPhone idiots who don't know their phone is always at 100% brightness, kids screaming, teens kicking my chair, old dudes masturbating, people fighting, people clapping, people explaining things during every scene, etc.

For reference I watch roughly 75 movies in the theater a year. The theater is never crowded and it's always ruined by something listed above. Why don't I wait until Blu ray? Well it's technically cheaper in the theater and I don't get concessions. I also like a lot of the movies being released and want to enjoy them in 4k with lots of surround sound. The marvel movies are great, lots of good sci-fi being released, it's not all reboots. Sure Shakespeare wrote everything already, but you can't complain about that.

I hate to sound antisocial but it's usually the other people that ruin movies in the theater for me. Too many people have absolutely no manners and think the world revolves around them. No, thanks.

I love when the theater is empty and somebody decides to sit right next to me. I always get up and move, but it happens way too much.

I never go anymore. I really enjoy the theater experience but I also hate the theater experience.

</rant>

I go to Cinemark. there regular theater movies are $5 first showing and $6 matinee. I bring in a bottled water and skip the snack bar.

I just go to the Drive-in... *MUCH MUCH* better experience and the prices are not over the top...

http://www.valihi.com/

valihi.jpg

</rant>

There are a few issue here, that all sounds good except for that the theater has to make money and since Hollywood takes such a large cut they have to make money via advertisements and selling food. That said some do charge a little more and take away some of the advertisements. Food and drinks are how they make their money, ticket sales pretty much all go back to the studio.

I would pay even more for movie tickets if they kicked out all the fucking people on their cellphones, talking, texting, playing fucking games, iPhone idiots who don't know their phone is always at 100% brightness, kids screaming, teens kicking my chair, old dudes masturbating, people fighting, people clapping, people explaining things during every scene, etc.

For reference I watch roughly 75 movies in the theater a year. The theater is never crowded and it's always ruined by something listed above. Why don't I wait until Blu ray? Well it's technically cheaper in the theater and I don't get concessions. I also like a lot of the movies being released and want to enjoy them in 4k with lots of surround sound. The marvel movies are great, lots of good sci-fi being released, it's not all reboots. Sure Shakespeare wrote everything already, but you can't complain about that.

if you have an Alamo Drafthouse around you they will kick people out. Price is a little higher. But still is great. I try to get to one as often as I can, sadly it is a 3 hour drive to the closest one so don't get to go to one much unless I am traveling and in a city that has one.

I love when the theater is empty and somebody decides to sit right next to me. I always get up and move, but it happens way too much.

I never go anymore. I really enjoy the theater experience but I also hate the theater experience.

Well if you are sitting in the best spot in a theater, yeah people are going to cluster around you, no one wants a shitty seat.

So you go because the tickets are cheaper than blu-ray and the concessions? OK so if you are single I'll grant you the ticket cost, but the concessions are exactly what instantly make it cheaper to buy a blu-ray. You can literally buy the movie and the same snacks or better for the same amount of money. The only argument is if your home TV sucks and from the sounds of it, that is the case. Pro tip- Given the volume of movies you watch you could darn near buy a nice TV at the end of 12 months if you just waited to red box them or buy them and take the more reasonably priced concessions. Also if you have Cable TV you are likely also forking out $1500-$2000 a year for content you barely watch. Then you don't have to deal with other people and their nonsense in a dirty theater with badly equalized sound. Loud doesn't equal Good.

Think about that.

This is exactly what I do. $10 for 2 movies and sometimes 3 later in the year. The best parts are that I get to bring my own fresh vegan popcorn that I make at home and they broadcast the sound thru FM radio.

The problem I always have is darkness, at least in my area and the local drive in. During the summer when the first movie starts it is always still too light out for the first 30 minutes or so. Movies are fine while others are hard to see.

The problem I always have is darkness, at least in my area and the local drive in. During the summer when the first movie starts it is always still too light out for the first 30 minutes or so. Movies are fine while others are hard to see.
The beginning of the season is like this when they start up in the spring but I don't mind. I'd rather put up with that than pay $15 for one movie plus they have a punch card and on my 6th visit it's free!

I don't buy food at the theaters. Saves me tons of cash. I also only go to the $5 showings (early hours on the weekends) and I have no problems with the movie going experience.

As others have said, when it comes to the "standard" cinematic experience it simply isn't a good value proposition. Ticket prices have skyrocketed, concessions are the same expensive, unhealthful goop , and god help you if the movie is in 3D - be prepared for a surcharge that can knock a weekday matinee to near/over $20 on ticket alone!

These days I rarely go to the movies but when I do, I don't go to any "normal" theater chains. Instead, I am lucky enough to be near luxury theaters. For instance, Alamo Drafthouse (www.drafthouse.com) and iPic Theaters (www.ipictheaters.com), both of which do pre-selected seating!

The former is one of the first luxury theater chains around and it makes moviegoing an experience again. The pre-show stuff for instance is always pertinent to the show you're seeing. When I went to see The Hobbit Part 3, they showed a bunch of clips including old Hobbit animations and the Colbert Report interview with Smaug. When I saw a special event screening of The Birdcage after Robin Williams' unfortunate death, they played clips of him from all throughout his life (including the Legend of Zelda / Nintendo commerical with both him and his daughter Zelda!). Neat stuff like this a nice perk, but Alamo theaters are known for their food and drink! In front of each row of seats there are long platform tables and servers come along before and during the movie. The food is not just movie grade, but in my location anyway fantastic, restaurant grade or better (non chain) and there are healthful options as well. I can have a plate of fruit/nuts/crudite and a pot of hot tea, but if I want popcorn it is not covered with yellow goop but instead uses real butter and nothing else! Their fresh baked cookies and handmade desserts are amazing and for those who drink there's a wide selection of spirits (and I do mean wide!). There are even many locally sourced specialties and you can make substitutions for vegetarian options, some organic ingredients etc... Yes, the food isn't cheap but put it to mid+ grade urban restaurant meal quality the prices are reasonable, and the tickets themselves are not too bad either! Sometimes, they even have price fixed multi-course events like a bedouin feast during Lawrence of Arabia or a 6+course menu for Lord of the Rings!

The latter, iPic Theaters is another luxury chain that may not have the "fandom" experience of Alamo in its pre-show, but its entire idea is "luxury". Each iPic as far as I can tell is attached to a mid+ to boutique restaurant and serves its food in theater accordingly. The food is about on the same level as Alamo though I have to admit at least my personal taste between local iPic and Alamo trends to the latter, but both are well above normal theaters and in fact most area restaurants. However, the huge iPic claim to fame is their seating. Each theater has both "premium" - the lower deck seats which each have an armrest-table and are cushy and larger than most movie seats. Premium seat holders can pick up their orders outside at the concessions and bring them in. However the real star is "premium plus" - which are are even bigger seats, full leather recliners! Located higher up in the theater, Premium Plus also come witth a pillow and fleece blanket, plus include a free popcorn (again, using high quality ingredients) and if you're a member of the theater, free (non-alcoholic) drink too. For those in Plus, waiters come to your seat like they do at Alamo. Premium Plus tends to range between $18-22 but given I can pay nearly that much for a regular AMC or Regal without even so much as a popcorn!

As far as I'm concerned these places have it right - make movie going into an event where I'm getting "name of the head chef announced on the menu" restaurant quality food and high end comfort. Each theater has their strong points - I wish Alamo had the recliners of iPic for instance, but they're both worthwhile. I encourage other 3rd parties open new theaters with luxury as the motto, with comfortable seating and healthful, tasty options for concessions. Simply raising ticket prices and lowering others won't do for the same old environment with artificial color and flavor "popcorn topping".

Listen, I'm done with mainstream theaters. Too costly, too many oblivious idiots, shitty movies, etc.

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema is great, from what I hear, but alas and alack, they aren't around here.

</rant>
I don't mind the ticket price, because if you go during the day like my wife and I do, $7.25 is more than reasonable IMO.

Everything else I agree with.

if you have an official 'Dolby Cinema' screen in your area I highly recommend checking it out...it's the biggest improvement to theaters ever- better then IMAX or 3D...has definitely made me go to the theaters more often for big event films such as Mad Max: Fury Road and force Awakens...looking forward to seeing Rogue One on a Dolby Cinema screen as well

Warning to put your phone away. Lights dim. 10+ car commercials.

Also, I wish they would stop shoving 3D down your throat. It's fine in IMAX, but on a regular screen it makes everything so dark that's basically unwatchable.

Variable ticket pricing on the face of it honestly doesn't sound bad. I'm sure that's not the way the AMC CEO is intending it to be - but hear me out.

Good movies that just come out in the initial 2 weeks are the most popular movies. Thus, they should be the most expensive - supply and demand. Thus they should be what the typical prime time price is today. On the other hand, movies that are 2-6+ weeks old - the majority of people have seen them. You will never see a crowded theater 2 weeks later, because most fans of the movie have already come and gone. In order to incentivize people to come in and see them, it would make logical sense to lower the price of these flicks (regardless of the time of day).

It's no different than someone say "Ugh, I want to see this movie but I don't want to pay the price of a theater... I think I'll just wait till it comes out on Redbox and rent it for $1".

So you go because the tickets are cheaper than blu-ray and the concessions? OK so if you are single I'll grant you the ticket cost, but the concessions are exactly what instantly make it cheaper to buy a blu-ray. You can literally buy the movie and the same snacks or better for the same amount of money. The only argument is if your home TV sucks and from the sounds of it, that is the case. Pro tip- Given the volume of movies you watch you could darn near buy a nice TV at the end of 12 months if you just waited to red box them or buy them and take the more reasonably priced concessions. Also if you have Cable TV you are likely also forking out $1500-$2000 a year for content you barely watch. Then you don't have to deal with other people and their nonsense in a dirty theater with badly equalized sound. Loud doesn't equal Good.

Think about that.
I think you misread my comment, I don't do concessions, so I pay like 8$ for a movie versus 20$. A 4k TV that matches a theater would cost me years worth of movie tickets. Throw in surround sound which I can't do in my apartment and the theater is the better option. I just hate the people.

What is it with AMC putting congenital idiots into important positions in the company.

Earlier this year, these unwashed, communal douche nozzels wanted to allow texting and stuff during shows.

NOW they want to start charging MORE for blockbusters.

Along with their $20 minimum price on food and drink...

And they're wandering around in their offices all day going "We don't understand why people are abandoning the movie theater experience in droves!"

Fuckin' imbeciles.

What is it with AMC putting congenital idiots into important positions in the company.
Its not just them, its every major company. And, IMO, its because these companies value a piece of paper (college degree) over industry experience and knowledge. These people are so disconnected because they look at "data" which is skewed by the people taking it because they manipulate the data to fit what the person buying the data wants to see that way they use that company again. So, they're making bullshit decisions off of bullshit data entered by a company who sells bullshit so they can sell more bullshit in the future.

And if you think I'm crazy, look at the polling data for this years election and then tell me data that these people use is accurate.

I thought the theaters made all of their money on concessions so wouldn't they want lower ticket prices?

The best way to get me in the theater is just to build more Alamo Drafthouses. Normal ticket prices but with more comfortable seats, good food and 15-20 high-quality beer taps.
I don't think it's the movies that are the problem (every generation whines about "new" music/movies/culture) but that the experience is no longer necessary.
Giant TV's have never been cheaper, Netflix is cheaper than 2 movie tickets, we have 500 channels, etc.
To make me want to go to a theater, you're going to have to give me something beyond just a movie.

Variable ticket pricing isn't a bad idea if the tickets actually get cheaper than current after a couple weeks. It should also help with opening night crowding and result in better seats on average.

I just went and saw Dr. Strange...great movie, but tickets were almost $13 apiece for non-IMAX 3D, and that was the matinee price. Popcorn and soda up near $7-8 each.

They need to get prices under control of they want more moviegoers. I went on a Sunday and it felt like there were barely any people there.

A freaking bucket of popcorn and a drink should not cost $20 freaking dollars.

Bucket? That's what I pay for a small coke, and a small popcorn. Cost ~$40 the other day to see Dr. Strange the other day with my wife. Matinee pricing, even.

Yeah, but they still make a small percentage off the admission price too.

The longer the feature runs, (the time the film actually stays at theatre, not running time) the more the theatre gets. For most tentpole summer releases, the exhibitor doesn't see a single dime of the box office for at least 2-3 weeks. (no VIP guest passes!)

I don't buy food at the theaters. Saves me tons of cash. I also only go to the $5 showings (early hours on the weekends) and I have no problems with the movie going experience.

Concession stand food outside of the packaged candy is a crap shoot (pun intended) anyways. We'd always joked that since they recycle popcorn (save the unused for the next day) that there's a odd chance you'll actually bite into a kernel that's was popped on the theatre's grand opening. And I'd feel safer with convenience store roller grills than buying any hot dog from a movie concession stand.

My go-to movie house has reserved balcony seating, bar and a diner that serves actual food to your seat. And the prices are reasonable unlike the concession stand.

I like going to the movies for some things but I also use Costco passes to do it. $25 (CAD) gets me and my wife admission with 2 pops and a popcorn which is a fair price imo for seeing a movie in theaters, and childrens passes are $10 which gets them admission, pop popcorn and candy.. My local theater also does date night Tuesdays which is the exact same thing as the costco pass but without needing to pre-buy the pass lol. Beyond that I will wait for the bluray and watch it on my own home theater (100" and 7.1 setup ;) )

I am happy paying a certain premium for going to the theater, there's something about the experience of the gigantic screen and atmosphere that makes it enjoyable. Most times I don't find other people to annoying, and the odd few behind me that do talk always seem to shut up fairly quickly when you turn around and give them a death glare lol

to get me into the theater more you have to make it compelling enough.

i enjoy sitting at home in front of my 55" TV where i can hit pause to take a piss or get another beer.

to get me into the theater more you have to make it compelling enough.

i enjoy sitting at home in front of my 55" TV where i can hit pause to take a piss or get another beer.

Yeah. As the average size of the TV set goes up, the value of the cinema experience goes down.

i went to the theater last night and they wanted 5+ dollars for a "small" soda. No thanks. It was 16$ for the ticket. Make it worth my while somehow!?!

I thought the theaters made all of their money on concessions so wouldn't they want lower ticket prices?

It is just like any other supply and demand curve though. if the cost of a movie was $2 cheaper would you start spending $2 more on food? Right now it is something like week 1 the theater gets to keep 5% of ticket sales, 10% the next two weeks and 20% the 4th week. So lowering ticket prices some might bring a few more people in, however half the ticket cost wouldn't bring in twice as many people. At some point you are making less profit as the decrease in ticket prices aren't offset by an equal number of movie goers. And none of that relates to food sales. As more people don't mean a huge change in food sales. So from a profit standpoint the prices might actually be where they need to be for maximum profit. There comes times where as a business you look at money you are losing and money you are making and decide how many people can I afford to lose at my current prices and still make more money than if I lowered my prices or made some massive change.

Back