Amazon’s New World game is bricking GeForce RTX 3090 graphics cards

Scalping? 😂
They are simply covering their own asses. I cant blame them for that. If people can abuse it, they will.
Like the story stated, they are still the only company that even offers advanced rma.
Clickity click click nothing more.

Scalping? 😂
They are simply covering their own asses. I cant blame them for that. If people can abuse it, they will.
Like the story stated, they are still the only company that even offers advanced rma.
Clickity click click nothing more.
it's simple, if you could advance RMA for just msrp, people would be "RMA"ing all their cards and never mailing in the "defective" card.

so then don't do advanced RMA and just RMA it as usual.
Or just send the dead card back like you’re supposed to, and get your money back in a week or two. If they didn’t charge current full price, this would be an obvious and easy way to scam scalpable cards.

The only time I ever had 1730 Euros on the account I use to buy my toys was when I created it with my father and it shared his bank credits on it. The idea of thinking some random gamer (even if they hardly could spend upwards of $800 for a scalped GPU ), will have some spare 1800 Euros somewhere is absurd regardless of whether the money gets back or not.

The only time I ever had 1730 Euros on the account I use to buy my toys was when I created it with my father and it shared his bank credits on it. The idea of thinking some random gamer (even if they hardly could spend upwards of $800 for a scalped GPU ), will have some spare 1800 Euros somewhere is absurd regardless of whether the money gets back or not.
Credit card learn to use them for everything and pay them off each month and earn that 2% cash back

so then don't do advanced RMA and just RMA it as usual.

I believe Kyle did but wouldn't say what it was other then it was fixed
A German engineer named OlDirdey (he's on Elmor's discord) figured it out. He has a soldering video on youtube for a 2080 Ti shunt mod and he taught me and Dante'afk how to solder shunts on 3090's properly.
Problem was bad soldering (either method or material used?) making the VRAM close to the PCIE slot loosen up under the very intense heat generated there (this is also the hottest VRAM chip on 3090's) and the chip loses connection to the card. He had a 2080 Ti with this flaw and he was able to debug the VRAM with some tool in Linux (?) with a memory location tester, and he found the memory location that was going bad and then inspected the card and determined the culprit. That's why when certain cards were shipped out for investigating this, some cards started working again because the PCB cools and contracts and the chip regains a connection until it heats up again. It wasn't "bad chips" from Samsung nor Micron as they aren't responsible for soldering.

I remember Kyle mentioned soldering being a 'possible' culprit but he didn't have conclusive proof at the time. It was just one of several things the factory he sent his sample to was looking at.

That's not scalping, since you literally get your money back when the rma goes through. Yes, it sucks, but it's better than them only charging euro msrp which would cause a host of other issues. Honestly, it's likely that already happened before new world started. New world just made it easier.

Also, as other's pointed out, slow rma still works.

Credit card learn to use them for everything and pay them off each month and earn that 2% cash back

Again, gamers buy these things and a fair amount of them use bank cards that have daily limits or credit cards with peak limits. Even if you could somehow find 1730 Euros and blow it for this program, there's still a chance that the bank might see it and call you asking WTF you spent your money on since you don't spend €1730 out of the blue everyday. Not answering that call might end up with a complete blocking of your credit card. Telling them that you'll pay that money for a RMA is also an another moral story.

Yes, you can standard RMA. That however does not change EVGA's mentality regarding their advanced RMA. They clearly fail to understand everything I said above.

Again, gamers buy these things and a fair amount of them use bank cards that have daily limits or credit cards with peak limits. Even if you could somehow find 1730 Euros and blow it for this program, there's still a chance that the bank might see it and call you asking WTF you spent your money on since you don't spend €1730 out of the blue everyday. Not answering that call might end up with a complete blocking of your credit card. Telling them that you'll pay that money for a RMA is also an another moral story.

Yes, you can standard RMA. That however does not change EVGA's mentality regarding their advanced RMA. They clearly fail to understand everything I said above.
As a counter argument, please explain what other measure evga can take to prevent people from just walking away with the advanced rma card besides placing a very large hold on cards. If they used msrp as the hold, every scalper on the planet would do an advanced rma and simply never send anything in, using it as a means to get a card ahead of the line for resale.

I think until production is ahead of demand again, evga is presenting the best options available.

I think until production is ahead of demand again, evga is presenting the best options available.

Lol what? EVGA is probably making better use of that money for their revenue before returning it to you. They're garbage human beings that come out with garbage products save for couple GPUs. Please.

Lol what? EVGA is probably making better use of that money for their revenue before returning it to you. They're garbage human beings that come out with garbage products save for couple GPUs. Please.
Then don't buy EVGA. You have that choice for the moment. Also, quit being poor.

Then don't buy EVGA. You have that choice for the moment. Also, quit being poor.

Poor? Screen-cut that €1730 from your bank account's page flat and we'll be talking. Does not having that on one account make me poor? You understand nothing about money management. Troll.

Thanks for ignoring my question. Temper your emotions for a minute and really consider an alternative. Or how about this, if you were in their position, what would you do?

Thanks for ignoring my question. Temper your emotions for a minute and really consider an alternative. Or how about this, if you were in their position, what would you do?

That was directed at your "EVGA is the best alternative hurr durr" comment actually. I'm pretty sure there are other ways than asking enormous amounts of cash for an advanced RMA. You can track cards by their serials, EVGA even saves those for their RMA programs. You can't mix match cards then. See, it's more simple than you're thinking to make it be.

That was directed at your "EVGA is the best alternative hurr durr" comment actually. I'm pretty sure there are other ways than asking enormous amounts of cash for an advanced RMA. You can track cards by their serials, EVGA even saves those for their RMA programs. You can't mix match cards then. See, it's more simple than you're thinking to make it be.
It's not any more enormous an amount of cash than the original cost of the product. What, exactly, do you think they should do instead, if they're going to send you a working card in advance? Just take your word for it that you'll send the old one back?

So first, evga presenting the best options available, doesn't mean they ARE the best. I never said that, I'm not an evga fanboy or anything. They're offering up rma options for the cards that are affected by this. Sorry if you misunderstood my statement.

Tracking serials means absolutely nothing to scalpers, nor to the people the scalpers sell to. They know going in they are buying a product that likely won't have a warranty, or if they don't they are fools as they are buying from scalpers anyway.

Edit: my 3090 ftw cost $1,919 after tax & shipping. If you are in a situation where you can justify and afford that, but you keep your bank account mostly empty, there are a few possibilities. First and most likely is you are living outside your means. If instead you are doing something like investing your money into stocks / crypto / whatever, then that was your choice and so you will have to either sell some off to account for the hold over, or do a standard rma. It's an option for those with the means, you aren't required to take it.

lol. thanks. I meant what component is failing.
The cards blow a fuse. Since its a soldered on component, you have to RMA it unless you are Louis Rossman or own an SMD solder station.

I wouldn't say it's a shit card. There are plenty of EVGA 3090 owners playing that game without issue. They do push it right to the bleeding edge though, it's probably the [H]ardest card out there. If yours blows the fuse (loud pop) you will have some downtime to RMA it (guessing a week, maybe longer if they are actually sending you back your own fixed card).

The cards blow a fuse. Since its a soldered on component, you have to RMA it unless you are Louis Rossman or own an SMD solder station.

I wouldn't say it's a shit card. There are plenty of EVGA 3090 owners playing that game without issue. They do push it right to the bleeding edge though, it's probably the [H]ardest card out there. If yours blows the fuse (loud pop) you will have some downtime to RMA it (guessing a week, maybe longer if they are actually sending you back your own fixed card).
Has this been shown to be the case by someone actually examining an affected card, or is it still just speculation?

My experience is that the fuses themselves don't usually make a noise when they go open, but some other components on the board do.

Edit: If anyone here happens to have one of these affected cards, I'd love to have a look at it before you send it in for RMA.

Has this been shown to be the case by someone actually examining an affected card, or is it still just speculation?
Buildzoids' speculation, perhaps confirmed. He had a picture. It's a 35 minute youtube video (he rambles a bit and repeats himself alot, be prepared - I don't want to re-watch it) posted previously in this thread:
Edit: you only need to watch the first 3 minutes and 10 seconds.

This seems relevant.

Buildzoids' speculation, perhaps confirmed. He had a picture. It's a 35 minute youtube video (he rambles a bit and repeats himself alot, be prepared - I don't want to re-watch it) posted previously in this thread:
Edit: you only need to watch the first 3 minutes and 10 seconds.
Yeah, but he’s just speculating. I’m inclined to agree with him, but a few other possibilities do exist.

I was asking if anyone knowledgeable had published actual measurements taken from an affected card, so we’d know for sure.

I'm already on my second 3090 (the first one died playing GTA5 in a way that matches the 3090 deaths from this game), and I have zero desire to go through that again. I'm not really into MMO's, but I'm guilty of thinking this game looks interesting. At this point I'm kinda scared to even give it a try.

I'm already on my second 3090 (the first one died playing GTA5 in a way that matches the 3090 deaths from this game), and I have zero desire to go through that again. I'm not really into MMO's, but I'm guilty of thinking this game looks interesting. At this point I'm kinda scared to even give it a try.
id use rivatuner or something to limit the fps to like 500. should stop it from over-driving whatever is failing without messing with in-game fps..

id use rivatuner or something to limit the fps to like 500. should stop it from over-driving whatever is failing without messing with in-game fps..
Game is already out I thought they patched the unlimited FPS in the menus... I could be wrong.

I don't know if my GPU was that poorly made I would rather find out while it was still under warranty then a couple years from now when a replacement might well cost $2000+. lol

Game is already out I thought they patched the unlimited FPS in the menus... I could be wrong.

I don't know if my GPU was that poorly made I would rather find out while it was still under warranty then a couple years from now when a replacement might well cost $2000+. lol
they patched it in beta, apparently the release version is still borked. its over-driving a component, my guess is something in the vid output cant handle the abnormally high frequencies that come with 9000+fps.

they patched it in beta, apparently the release version is still borked. its over-driving a component, my guess is something in the vid output cant handle the abnormally high frequencies that come with 9000+fps.
Fair still the cards fault. Hear a lot of people blaming the game... which seems odd. There should be no software you can run that would kill your card, it should have both overvolt and heat protections that work. Worse case it should shut down right.
I thought this was old news and that the effected MFG accepted the blame was theirs and was replacing cards no questions asked.

Fair still the cards fault. Hear a lot of people blaming the game... which seems odd. There should be no software you can run that would kill your card, it should have both overvolt and heat protections that work. Worse case it should shut down right.
I thought this was old news and that the effected MFG accepted the blame was theirs and was replacing cards no questions asked.
is it a cars fault if the driver only drives it in redline and the engine blows?
the cards are designed to operate within a spec, the game is pushing it out of spec.
yes maybe they should add a "rev limiter" to cards, but then people would bitch about that....

is it a cars fault if the driver only drives it in redline and the engine blows?
the cards are designed to operate within a spec, the game is pushing it out of spec.
yes maybe they should add a "rev limiter" to cards, but then people would bitch about that....
Not the same thing... GPUs are not cars.
If you drive a car with a governor that won't let you redline... and it still did and blew up ya its the MFGs fault.

GPUs and CPUs do have voltage and thermal limiters. They are supposed to throttle themselves when they get too hot or when voltage ramps up or spikes. Its how almost all modern chips work. Its why things boost longer when they have proper cooling.

Kill the fan on a Intel CPU what happens ? It runs really really really slowly. It doesn't catch fire. GPUs have the same throttling behavior these days. Its why you see better performance out of higher end MOBOs and GPUs that have better power delivery and cooling solutions.

EVGA for their part have said this is 100% shoddy soldering and their fault.
https://www.pcgamer.com/evga-explains-why-some-of-its-rtx-3090s-were-blowing-up-in-new-world/

Apparently it's still happening... and EVGA has said they expected this, it just means people that didn't play the beta are now playing the game.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/new-world-reportedly-bricking-nvidia-graphics-cards-from-evga-gigabyte/

If you drive a car with a governor that won't let you redline... and it still did and blew up ya its the MFGs fault.

GPUs and CPUs do have voltage and thermal limiters. They are supposed to throttle themselves when they get too hot or when voltage ramps up or spikes. Its how almost all modern chips work. Its why things boost longer when they have proper cooling.

Kill the fan on a Intel CPU what happens ? It runs really really really slowly. It doesn't catch fire. GPUs have the same throttling behavior these days. Its why you see better performance out of higher end MOBOs and GPUs that have better power delivery and cooling solutions.

https://www.pcgamer.com/evga-explains-why-some-of-its-rtx-3090s-were-blowing-up-in-new-world/

Apparently it's still happening... and EVGA has said they expected this, it just means people that didn't play the beta are now playing the game.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/new-world-reportedly-bricking-nvidia-graphics-cards-from-evga-gigabyte/
no not the same thing, thats why its called comparison, you dont get to just alter it to fit your argument AND that is why i added the limiter to the gpu part. a car without a rev limter will handle a few redlines here and there no problem, sustain it and she blows. seems like the same with this gpu situation. they handle intermittent bursts but not sustained.
ok... i didnt say anything about about a fan...
ok, i could see crappy soldering cause an issue, like an arch or something under max amperage. what about the rest? we dont know yet...
but rage on...

Bach in the day I did some programming in opengl. The first thing I did was make a single, colored triangle... like the "hello world" program for graphics.

So if I dug that out and ran it on a modern graphics card, I would have to worry that it would kill the card? That's crazy.

Did you even read what you linked? The first article, yes EVGA said it was their fault. The second article is PowerGPU saying they expected more failures, not EVGA. And as far as I'm aware there are a bunch of Gigabyte cards having issues now. So either EVGA and Gigabyte both messed up, or possibly it's something with the game. The JayzTwoCents video thumbnail is actually a Zotac. So I guess add them to the list? Jays video goes into how FurMark used to have a warning on it that it could kill your card and apparently killed many cards.

But to your point, it was old news however once the game launched and a bunch more people started having issues it became news again.

no not the same thing, thats why its called comparison, you dont get to just alter it to fit your argument AND that is why i added the limiter to the gpu part. a car without a rev limter will handle a few redlines here and there no problem, sustain it and she blows. seems like the same with this gpu situation. they handle intermittent bursts but not sustained.
ok... i didnt say anything about about a fan...
ok, i could see crappy soldering cause an issue, like an arch or something under max amperage. what about the rest? we dont know yet...
but rage on...
No rage... we just disagree on the expected behvaiour of voltage protection systems. :)

I believe its silly to blame software any software for melting a GPU. These cards all have hardware level protections against exactly this. This probably is a soldering defect as per the company that makes the cards in question. Speculation goes that Nvidia changed the spec requiring higher voltage handling last min and some of the MFGs solutions are sub par, but neither evga or Nvidia have admitted anything like that nor would they. That is on them and perhaps Nvidia not Amazon and new world.

Back