Amazon's Luna

Like all the other services: It's only as good as the weakest link in the Internet chain.

That being said: All the big boys are in on this so we can't and shouldn't write any of it off.

E'rrybody wants a chance at the mythical 'Netflix for Gaming' grail.

Yup. Even if the tech isn't there yet (and might not be for years), companies want to be there first and they want their brand to be associated with it.
I've been pretty happy with the Amazon hardware I've used and they play the long game better than Google, so I guess this might not suck as bad as the Stadia. Still, I have zero interest personally.

Does Luna or Stadia include games? Or is it just basically renting the hardware and you have to buy or pay extra for games?

Does Luna or Stadia include games? Or is it just basically renting the hardware and you have to buy or pay extra for games?
I don't know about Luna but you have to buy the games on Stadia. Which when they decide to kill it off you lose your games.

My understanding is this is more like the Game Pass model and less like the Stadia model which still made you buy games in addition to the monthly fee.

So if the internet goes down you can't play anything pretty good deal.
My net isnt' fast enough for this service.

How's that Google streaming service going that was all the rage?

I think the biggest problem with all of these services is they are marketed at the wrong group, PC gamers. Target these as Console alternatives and they may see more success.

I prefer services like Shadow where you rent a super high-end PC for around €40/month.
It's not available in Sweden so I was not able to test it, but I'd rather just rent a cloud PC than only gaming services.

I just don't get these services. I'm like a best case scenario for the services and I still find them near unusable. I have gigabit and extremely low latency to parts of the east coast.

Stadia beta was such ass that I just outright bought Assassin's Creed. Can't imagine actually playing though the game like that. Picture quality was utter shit during motion, especially if there was something noisy like foliage on screen and the input latency was annoying at best.

Nvidia's answer was basically the same. Latency is just too annoying to play a shooter or anything actiony.

I got my invite for the beta today and signed up. 5.99 for the luna sub or 14.99 for an ubisoft sub plus a controller (49.99 for Amazon's) if you aren't playing on PC. How well this works with my FireTVs makes more breaks it for more.

Like all the other services: It's only as good as the weakest link in the Internet chain.

That being said: All the big boys are in on this so we can't and shouldn't write any of it off.
Nah I'm absolutely writing it off, just like I did stadia. We're just now getting to the point where input lag has improved in most displays. I remote into computers 8 hours a day over the internet and I notice a lag moving a mouse and clicking shit. I can't imagine how dumb it would be to try to game on a remote machine.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
So I bit the bullet more out of boredom than anything...

I’m impressed. Latency is not bad, and that has to do with the controller communicating to the servers and not thru whatever device you’re using for display. Since I already had Ubisoft+ for Valhalla I decided to try that game. The default settings didn’t make for smooth gameplay, and some were uselessly wasted on my iPhone display. Luckily it’s a PC VM being used, so I went in and adjusted visuals to get a much smoother experience. Graphics powered by Nvidia VGX (Tesla T4 identified in one of the games), for anyone that cares. iPhone screen is just a bit too small for certain games, so I tried on my iPad and it was a much better experience, albeit stationary. It doesn’t work with my three year old FireTV which is a bummer because it is basically their 4k stick (gaming edition before they discontinued it) in the larger form fac

Of the games I fiddled with, Bloodstained stuttered A LOT, but I’ve never played it before so don’t know if it’s just that buggy a game.

Interested to see if Amazon scuttles this or keeps it going, I think it’s headed in the right direction for what it is. My wife beta tested it internally very early on and she didn’t care for it at the time, but they obviously improved it.

Agree. I'd like some more games for my 4 year old, but otherwise it's been good.

It's worked great on my 4k Firestick. Still need to try it on the 1080p version. And really see if it'll work at all on my firstgen fire.

Gonna necro this one a bit. Has anyone tried Luna before? Prime day is coming up and they are selling the controller at a discount with a month of free Luna+. Interested in trying it out - but wondering if, at a minimum, the controller is decent enough to repurpose for other gaming systems.

And is the service itself (Luna+) worth trying?

Gonna necro this one a bit. Has anyone tried Luna before? Prime day is coming up and they are selling the controller at a discount with a month of free Luna+. Interested in trying it out - but wondering if, at a minimum, the controller is decent enough to repurpose for other gaming systems.

I ended the service years ago. Back then couldn't get the controller to work with anything else besides my computer. It mostly collects dust in a bin

I tried the free thing in my web browser. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

these responses are helpful. Thanks for keeping me from separating from my money.

Back