Amazon's Cloud Music Service Gets Scan and Match

HardOCP News

[H] News
This new scan and match feature is a pretty cool idea and there is even a free version to boot.

For $25 per year, Amazon premium service will scan a user's hard drive and match the music found there to the more than 20 million tracks stored on the company's servers. Amazon will then stream the songs from its servers to any Web-connected device, including any Android device or iPhone, a user chooses to listen on. In addition, the merchant said it will automatically store songs previously purchased from the company.

Amazon Cloud player is my favorite. Unfortunately most of my music has already been purchased from Amazon or this would be handy.

It's smart, but I doubt the mafia will like it. From a business perspective, finding what a user has and then serving up one copy to all who has it is pracfical and massively saves on storage.

I logged in and it found a Nine Inch Nails MP3 album I bought in 2008, well before the Amazon Cloud. Pretty nice if you ask me.

Wow that's pretty amazing. However I have a feeling the RIAA will freak out over it and Amazon will end up having to charge more for it or disable it.

20 Million songs is a massive catalog though very impressive Amazon.

See Origin (EA) this is how you do it! Market it as a benefit and not as some trojan program scanner.

Just keep in mind you will be paying the $25/year for life to maintain access to those songs.

Kick in the RIAA Lawyers in 3....2....1.....

If you look at the Android app reviews people are so very much complaining about this. for one the music storage was always on a pay term, yeah you had some free storage but not much, two the boost in storage was also for a limited time. Read the contract people! As for the service now If I had money to burn I'd do this, this player is WORLDS better than the Google player and they let you download unlimited times no matter what, unlike Google* Had other points put I forgot. I do agree with you TechLarry, i'd like this as a prime feature So as to why I use Google music instead? I'm a cheapskate, google music doesn't completely even like me because I don't have a pay method on my account and thus I can't get free music from them** *Google lets you download music from your account via its desktop application, however you have only two choices, all your music, all your free and purchased music. If you just want one song and you are over the online download limit and have a large collection you are stuck downloading it all. **Google offers songs/albums for free which you can not get since its considered a purchase, there are free packs that never had a price attached to them, these you can get without a payment method on file.

Back