Amazon's 1-Click Patent Expires Next Month

monkeymagick

[H]News
On Sept. 12th, Amazon will lose the patent to its 1-Click feature it filed almost 20 years ago. According to thirtybees, it will be a game changer in e-commerce as any vendor will have access to the feature and will shape the future of e-commerce in the coming years. Amazon applied for the patent back 1997, but was granted the rights in 1999. The company has gone to court defending the validity of patent over the years. Plenty of web retailers are preparing for the expiration. My advice hide your wallets.

It is serious enough that the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has started writing a draft proposal for one click buying methods. They have recruited some of the top companies in the industry like Google, Apple, and Facebook to help come up with a set of specifications. Google has already implemented some of the standards in its Chrome and Chrome Mobile browsers, with more likely to come in the future. They have proposed ways of storing cards and address data in the browser and letting the browser communicate directly with your payment gateway to send the card or bank information. Sounds pretty useful doesn't it?

Last edited:
I've never just the feature, never wanted it.

What surprisese is that this thing can be patented! At least the EU have more sense and never granted the patent.

It's a ~huge~ deal in e-commerce.

I can't remember where I saw it, but there was some data from Amazon, something like half of everything that got put into your cart - you didn't buy it. Either you deleted it, or just never finished the checkout process or what have you.

1-Click allows e-commerce to process impulse buys.

Which is just what all of us need, right?

I can't even begin to fathom how many thousands of dollars the cart system has saved me over the years. Being able to pause and think before buying shit I don't need is a good thing.

1-click also gives me some security concerns.

It's funny, because the only people that order this shit of "one-click order buttons" are the exact type of people that SHOULDNT be using them. The types of people that can reasonably use them are people that have no care for monetary expenses... yet it's people that SHOULD be worrying about expenses that are using them.. Oh the irony.

That said, I'll never have any of this stupid shit in my house. It's retarded to boot.

I accidentally one clicked an item years ago on Amazon. I had to call them to cancel. Wanted to make sure. The next thing I did was disable one click in my account settings. Hard no for me. I won't use such a feature on any site.

> They have proposed ways of storing cards and address data in the browser

oh boy.. i feel safer already..

:rolleyes:

with all the possible browser exploits, that just seems like a BAD idea, because we all know they will work on security before ease of use...

hahaha

don't know about other sites. most of kindle library was 1-clicked. i regret nothing.

I have never used one click nor do I ever have any intent of ever using it. I always double and triple check anything I purchase before hitting submit. Also, the vast majority of orders I make include multiple items.

This must be a feature aimed towards compulsive buyers. I've used Amazon's one click button only a few times out of the thousands of orders I've placed. Mostly if there's a sudden good lightning deal on something I was on the fence about buying. Just used it yesterday on a WiFi borescope to play with and see some grommets inside my dash.

I'd like to know what percentage of their orders come via the 1-click button. I can see more sites using this for black Friday sales or when certain limited products launch, like SNES Classic.

This is a big deal because it's like overcharging on phone plans. Basically people will make a one click buy mistake on Amazon and some will just keep the item and pay for it, like some parents pay for their kids mistaken charges on a phone or console. Add that up over millions of people and its a nice bonus. Now we are going to be slammed with 1 click buy on all websites and many will try to trick people who do mot carefully read and know the site.

Ah the old drunk one click purchase and random box on your door step two days later.
2days? Amazon prime and same day adds a whole new dimension to this. You enjoy it while drunk and the pending sobering and hang over is coupled now with realtime regret for what you impulse bought

This type of "innovation" preys on the weak minded. The rest of us suffer when the recession kicks in as the next bubble of exploitation is popped

This is one of the only things in life that require more than one click to accomplish. Checks and balances and all that.
But I did try to activate one click for Black Friday when true deals last only seconds before the deal is "sold out" and new stock shows up minutes later at the regular price.

Back