Amazon Working On A Subscription Streaming Music Service?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hmmm, I'm not sure I'd be into a subscription streaming music service from Amazon unless it was included as part of Prime. Would you pay an extra month fee for a streaming music service from Amazon?

Amazon is prepping a Spotify-killer, music sources tell The Post. The e-commerce giant has held meetings in the past few weeks to discuss licensing tunes for a full-blown subscription music service that would ape streaming music market leaders Spotify and Apple Music, several sources confirmed.

I thought this was already part of Prime. I stream music from Amazon all the time so I'm not sure how this is different than what they are already doing.

I thought this was already part of Prime. I stream music from Amazon all the time so I'm not sure how this is different than what they are already doing.

I was wondering the same thing. Unless they plan on re-doing the horrible phone interface.

Spotify-killer? It's called Google Play Music. I have done (all premium), Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music and Google Play Music, Google wins hands down. Would I swap to Amazon? Sure, offer a as good or better service, or at a better price point and I will move. Google Play Music also includes YouTube Red.

Their library of Prime is usually after music has fallen off the charts. This suits me fine. If music is good to listen to now, it should be good to listen too 10 years from now.

But most other people want the hits. Hits are probably too expensive to fit under Prime when you compare to a year of Spotify, Tidal, etc.

The only heartburn I would have with this is if they keep stuff off of Prime Music to force you to the 'premium' service.

Their library of Prime is usually after music has fallen off the charts. This suits me fine. If music is good to listen to now, it should be good to listen too 10 years from now.

But most other people want the hits. Hits are probably too expensive to fit under Prime when you compare to a year of Spotify, Tidal, etc.

The only heartburn I would have with this is if they keep stuff off of Prime Music to force you to the 'premium' service.

They also don't have very obscure stuff. I can't find a lot of bands on Prime that are available on other services like spotify

I already do, it's called Prime

This, plus the fact that I buy plenty of music for dirt cheap on Amazon MP3 so I'm not sure why I'd pay more for access to everything else. Amazon needs to stop trying to be all things digital and focus on maintaining their core strengths: price, choice, and customer service.

Not too surprising as they already selling music and media. Maybe they are planning on giving the streaming music services a run for the money.

They also don't have very obscure stuff. I can't find a lot of bands on Prime that are available on other services like spotify

A lot could have changed, but last time I checked Spotify has 35mil titles to Prime's 1mil.

A lot could have changed, but last time I checked Spotify has 35mil titles to Prime's 1mil.

It hasn't, there are a few sites that track this, spotify use to be around 30M, as of late has gone up to 35M along with Apple music and Google Music.

1M vs 35M is massive, most of the stuff I want to listen to I would not be able to find on prime music.

It hasn't, there are a few sites that track this, spotify use to be around 30M, as of late has gone up to 35M along with Apple music and Google Music.

1M vs 35M is massive, most of the stuff I want to listen to I would not be able to find on prime music.

My guess is this will be why a premium addition is being vetted. They can't afford the library to close the gap and still include it into Prime.

If it pays off for them, I can see them adding these "premium upgrades" to other areas such as their video library. Something like a Prime+.

Back