Amazon Will Stop Selling Nest Smart Home Devices

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Amazon and Google haven’t gotten any friendlier: the retailer has decided that it won’t be carrying any Nest devices. Anything that is carried now will be removed from the site permanently once stock is depleted. It is unknown whether Amazon will allow Nest products to be sold through the Marketplace.

Amazon told Nest that the decision came from the top — and that it had nothing to do with the quality of Nest products, which had great reviews on Amazon. Nest employees who were on the call ended the discussion under the impression that the decision had come from Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, although Amazon's retail team didn't explicitly say that at any point.

Amazon is so bitter, they use googles os on their devices for free and this is how they repay google?

DEzhAS8U0AAc0fW.jpg

Its a figure of speech.

Regardless, why would Amazon or anybody owe Google anything for Android. Google's reason in releasing Android is not altruistic; there is nothing to be thankful to them for.

Amazon is so bitter, they use googles os on their devices for free and this is how they repay google?

It's not really googles. When they release Fushia OS then yes that can be said with a bit more confidence. Im Liking Amazon right now, they are making the right moves. Google really are turning into quite the regressive organisation and they are almost completely irrelevant to my digital life in any case.

That said 'Liking' multi-nationals can be taken with as much of a pinch of salt as your comment needed :p

Last edited:
Fight ! Fight! Fight!... Hehe who cares, better than 2 giants working together.

Haha Jeff Bezos throwing a tantrum. I guess he can afford to and get away with it now.

Regardless, why would Amazon or anybody owe Google anything for Android. Google's reason in releasing Android is not altruistic; there is nothing to be thankful to them for.
Which os would amazon's tablets and fire stick run on if it weren't for android?

Which os would amazon's tablets and fire stick run on if it weren't for android?

They could have developed their own. Android just happened to be free and available so they took advantage of it. Doesn't mean they owe Google anything. The only reason Android is free to begin with is because Google can't charge for it. Plus the fact that the data mining built in is all the payment Google needs. Like I said, there's nothing altruistic about Google developing and releasing Android for free.

They could have developed their own. Android just happened to be free and available so they took advantage of it. Doesn't mean they owe Google anything. The only reason Android is free to begin with is because Google can't charge for it. Plus the fact that the data mining built in is all the payment Google needs. Like I said, there's nothing altruistic about Google developing and releasing Android for free.
So if I make and sell some new hardware with Android, I just have to allow it to phone home to Google?

So if I make and sell some new hardware with Android, I just have to allow it to phone home to Google?
There's no data mining in aosp android, when you install google play services and its non open source apps that's when it starts.

There's a good part of me that would really like Amazon making their own OS, android's okayish, but it's lost a lot of the appeal I had for it some 10 years ago. Because Amazon doesn't make all their money from selling advertisements and data mining there's that hope that the OS Amazon could make wouldn't be riddled with adware and bloat and instead be focused on pure functionality. But that's probably just a pipe dream!

There's a good part of me that would really like Amazon making their own OS, android's okayish, but it's lost a lot of the appeal I had for it some 10 years ago. Because Amazon doesn't make all their money from selling advertisements and data mining there's that hope that the OS Amazon could make wouldn't be riddled with adware and bloat and instead be focused on pure functionality. But that's probably just a pipe dream!

Maybe Amazon in the early days but not the current Amazon.

I’ve almost moved on completely from all google products.

Still use gmail and google maps, but I try to use alternatives (NOT Waze) when I can.

Well, Google won't let Amazon use YouTube, so you can't sell your hardware. This sounds like a playground fight.
It's not the first time. I think Amazon and Apple had a tiff a while back - not sure if that ever was solved or not.

Amazon shouldn't be surprised when they get another fine from EU because this is a classic case of dominant position abuse.

working together and selling a product are two different things. If this was software people would be up in arms if one company didn't allow another company's software on their OS. People would be up in arms if their ISP wouldn't let you access any online streaming because it effected their ability to sell you video service. Walmart sells their knockoff soda brands but still sells coke and Pepsi.

Has Nest been declared Google's biggest failure yet?
I don't understand companies sometimes, they seem not to have problems tossing billions at complete shit.

Has Nest been declared Google's biggest failure yet?
I don't understand companies sometimes, they seem not to have problems tossing billions at complete shit.
You're confused. They're pretty popular.

I never understood what appeal a $250 thermostat had, but one day realized "oh nobody's actually paying full retail, they're all getting an insane rebate from their electric company which makes it barely more than a cheapo thermostat". That, and they actually do work at saving money on electricity and gas by adjusting to your usage and presence patterns and then optimizing when hot or cold is blasted based on when energy is cheapest during the day. Pretty damn ingenious actually and my skepticism of them was off by a mile.

You better believe Amazon regrets not acquiring Nest before Google did, now that they bought Ring and seem deadset on slowly owning home automation. An entire industry of products that Alexa controls has sprung up. While Amazon was content to be the hub and controller of all those products, now it wants to own the most popular of those products too, and probably slowly brand them all with some overarching Amazon ecosystem mark.

Last edited:
Nest as hardware devices are great, but they don't play well outside the Nest ecosystem.

I have them running with SmartThings with a custom device handler and app(protects and thermostats) . All intelligence for thermostats is handled 100% through webcore in smartthings and is completely disabled on the nest itself. I get significantly better functionality this way and ironically enough this works just as well on a $50 zwave or ip connected thermostat. Of course I didn't know all this when I originally bought my Nests, which was prior to my smartthings.

More to the point, while Nest makes great hardware, last I checked they hadn't turned that into positive cash flow and were losing a fair money, which lead to the ouster of their CEO.

Going forward I won't be purchasing any Nest products that are locked into the Nest ecosysytem. They are teaming up with schlage (or one of those lock companies) to come out with a smart lock. I'm in the market for one and I'm sure it will be real nice, but I'm just disregarding the nest brand altogether at this point.

F*ck Google

Nah, fuck Amazon. They started this shit when they took down Chromecasts and Apple TVs from their site. I don't blame Google for blocking Youtube on Fire devices now, hah.

Back