Amazon WD Storage Enclosure Deals through 6/27/2015

What does it mean to buy a diskless Nas other then populating them with my own drives?

What's the advantage of a NAS vs just building a file server? I'm trying to understand why these appliances cost so much.

i didn't see any of the prices he listed, they were all back to original, probably just tryin to get some affiliate monies.

Side note, be wary of these NAS boxes, most have horrible processing power and memory which leads to slow network speeds, you can most of the time build a small pc that will be cheaper and perform better.

My Clouds are dead already?

These are the older models, there's newer versions of these drives now.

i didn't see any of the prices he listed, they were all back to original, probably just tryin to get some affiliate monies.

Side note, be wary of these NAS boxes, most have horrible processing power and memory which leads to slow network speeds, you can most of the time build a small pc that will be cheaper and perform better.

I have a few NAS drives and a PC file server. No noticeable network speed difference unless you're doing 4+ simultaneous streams.

Let me check into this. Those prices should be correct.

Yes this are affiliate links. NO, I would not post these with bad prices intentionally. I will be reaching out to Amazon about this.

What's the advantage of a NAS vs just building a file server? I'm trying to understand why these appliances cost so much.

Lower power, footprint, software work is already done, convenience, reliability. Plug in drives go to UI, config, done.

There are clearly more robust options that exist, but for simplicity these(maybe not the WD version?) can be great.

The special prices are not coming over, I am kinda looking for a nas, back up to my file server but would like another set of media for my main backup:mad:

Lower power, footprint, software work is already done, convenience, reliability. Plug in drives go to UI, config, done.

There are clearly more robust options that exist, but for simplicity these(maybe not the WD version?) can be great.

The special prices are not coming over, I am kinda looking for a nas, back up to my file server but would like another set of media for my main backup:mad:

Indeed, some people don't want the hassle of setting up their own HW, picking a NAS/server OS, installing and setting it up, making sure all the HW is compatible with it, then installing addons or apps etc etc. While these are plug in, and done, they also have pretty good app support on some, and its just click and install, they also have support, while your own server/NAS would not. If you REALLY need the power of a home server and not a NAS, you would know and would not be looking at these anyway.

I believe when Amazon runs out of stock they will auto populate with their affiliate pricing. This has happened in the past at least.

Yep, Amazon runs out of stock and whatever 3rd party is next in line ends up showing their price as it is being pulled from their stock.

I have been looking for a NAS, so I have been thinking about the 12-16TB ones, the 12TB seems to be the right price. Sadly, they populate all the bays, I wish they used 2 6TB drives and left 2 open for later, or even 3 4TB, rather than 4 3TB drives.

Yea I hate that too, but oh well, its one of the reasons why I built my own.

Granted its not nearly as mobile as these :D

I believe when Amazon runs out of stock they will auto populate with their affiliate pricing. This has happened in the past at least.

Three of the prices are not showing correctly. Also, I was late getting these deals put up as they started 4 or 5 days ago, so maybe WD has moved the stock on those items.

Back